Straight Line Anomalies in Renders

I've never had this problem before, so can anyone advise why these bizarre straight lines are appearing in renders? The shots below are snippets from a large image, rendered in 3DL. Initially I thought the anomalous lines were sort of 'ghost reflections' of the edges of props, buildings or the skybox itself, but after deleting all suspect elements and re-rendering these lines still bizarrely appear.

Fairy Romance Cam10 landscape54 UHD cropped flaws.jpg
900 x 651 - 64K
Fairy Romance Cam12 landscape54 UHD cropped flaws.jpg
520 x 400 - 24K

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2018

Are you using the default 3DL renderer or scripted rendering? If the default, do you have progressive rendering enabled? If not, what is your shadowrate in the rendersettings tab? Could be it's set too high, also check the skybox mesh resolution, select the skybox and go to parameterpane/general/resolution. If it's at base resolution, try converting it to highresolution (SubD level 1) by having it selected and going to file/geometry/convert to SubD. If non of this helps post your light- and rendering settings and we'll go from there;)

Oh I don't use skyboxes so don't know how the mesh is constructed. When converting to high resolution, if the skybox changes form radically you need to set the algorithm to bilinear (in the same tab). That should solve it.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

SOem of that may be teh mesh of the skydome used - try adding a leevl of SubD to that?

• Thanks both for your suggestions! I'll give them a try. My first thought was that it was the skybox, though the line on the building on the left (a mushroom house) still comes upin renders whrn the skybox is deleted. I'll get back to you. smiley

• Thanks above, chaps! After hours of trial and error steps I finally discovered the cause of the flaws in the images above. I can't think of the technical term, but the lines which are rendering when they shouldn't are the 'perimeter markers' such as L, L reversed, then the latter two upside down which appear on the top and bottom corners of all characters, props, etc, when loaded. Specifically the lines appearing in the images are from the lilac-coloured plant which appears in both. I added them to my scene as props from another set but scaled them up to 200% which itself might be why those lines are appearing, though they shouldn't as I rescale gazillions of props and have never had that happen before. The solution was to delete the plants and use alternatives.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Thanks above, chaps! After hours of trial and error steps I finally discovered the cause of the flaws in the images above. I can't think of the technical term, but the lines which are rendering when they shouldn't are the 'perimeter markers' such as L, L reversed, then the latter two upside down which appear on the top and bottom corners of all characters, props, etc, when loaded. Specifically the lines appearing in the images are from the lilac-coloured plant which appears in both. I added them to my scene as props from another set but scaled them up to 200% which itself might be why those lines are appearing, though they shouldn't as I rescale gazillions of props and have never had that happen before. The solution was to delete the plants and use alternatives.

Wow, that's odd:) Glad you solved it mate!