Motion Capture with Daz

This is related to my other question in the forum, regarding BVH motion files.

Did anyone experiment with Motion Capture suits and imported the motions into Daz? How did it look? 

I've only looked at the Rokoko suit (https://www.rokoko.com/en), they are releasing the gloves next year but no socks/shoes. Also they do not have anything for the head. Is there any not so expensive but good way to solve the issue of missing gloves, shoes and head gear?

Speaking of the head, I read that speech options only exist in Daz 4.1 not 4.9. Which means I could do speech in 4.1 but am not sure how then to export it and mix it with the body motions in 4.9. Maybe there's a workflow I am not aware of.

Comments

• There goes yet another of my hopes with this software.

• Hmm, now that I reflect on it more, doing speech in 4.1 and exporting is not a good way since 4.1 does not work with Genesis 8 models and has no iRay.

Is exporting to iClone and doing animations + speech in there the best way to go?

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited October 2018

Speaking of the head, I read that speech options only exist in Daz 4.1 not 4.9. Which means I could do speech in 4.1 but am not sure how then to export it and mix it with the body motions in 4.9. Maybe there's a workflow I am not aware of."

If by "speech" you mean autolipsinc from imported Audio, then you have two options in Daz studio 4.9-4.10xx

Buy the mimic Live plugin from the daz store
    or install the 32 bit version of Daz studio as it will have the free  (32 bit only)mimic lipsinc plugin already installed

Is exporting to iClone and doing animations + speech in there the best way to go?

For  body animations Exporting to Iclone pro pipeline is the best way  for IK enabled animation and Mocap retargeting 

Understand, however  that you will need to buy the $700 USD pipeline version of Iclone or your Daz genesis figure will be stuck in the iclone environment as an imported FBX file with no JCM's or HD morphs along with a rubbish internal render engine that looks like a video game from the 1990's.

Thus you will need the Full Iclone 3DXpipeline export options to export your Iclone created motions as BVH back to Daz studio or as FBX or Alembic to whatever other render program you might be using ( Blender ,unity ,unreal etc)

( I use Lightwave & Maxon Cinema4D )

Now the latest version of the reallusion softwares have an optional $100 USD IRay Plugin& renderer.

However I dont imagine that any sane Daz studio user with an IRay capable NIVDIA graphics card, would actually Pay Reallusion $100 for the privilage of using their optional IRay plugin when the one in Daz studio is free of charge. 

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • "

Now the latest version of the reallusion softwares have an optional $100 USD IRay Plugin& renderer.

However I dont imagine that any sane Daz studio user with an IRay capable NIVDIA graphics card, would actually Pay Reallusion $100 for the privilage of using their optional IRay plugin when the one in Daz studio is free of charge. 

"

Gee I hear you there!

The Mimic Live product page says it's for 4.1, will it work in the latest 64bits daz versions? Will it work on G8 models?

Say I have a character that runs then stops and speaks, I just have to use the keyframe so that it indeed follows the previous action right?

The mimic live plugin will work with the latest 64 bit version of Daz studio and will work with G8
    however you can only record the audio live from your PC's Microphone.  

...or use this trick and a second Computer to pipe in pre recorded audio files 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/115371/for-my-fellow-animators-using-mimic-live

• Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to run some tests. It may even be possible to do with a single PC, if you have 2 soundcards.

I have been able to record clean lipsinc ,in mimic live, from my Macbook to  Daz studio on my Win7 gateway PC  and from an Old Compaq tower running vista to my Win7 gateway PC.

All attempts, I have made ,using two different smart phones , as the audio source ,have failed to record.sad

• Hmm, now that I reflect on it more, doing speech in 4.1 and exporting is not a good way since 4.1 does not work with Genesis 8 models and has no iRay.

You're confusing DS 4.1 which came after DS 4.0 with DS 4.10 which came after DS 4.9. DS 4.10 does work with G8 figures and has Iray.

You're confusing DS 4.1 which came after DS 4.0 with DS 4.10 which came after DS 4.9. DS 4.10 does work with G8 figures and has Iray.

Aye, indeed I was. The 32bit doesn't load the eyes of G8 models and doesn't seem to have IRay. 64bit has no problem. I can make lip sync in 32bit and export a BVH into 64bit, seems to work fine, just the mouth is moving with no sound. However, I am unable to use two BVH at the same time. If I have a character walking in a circle (BVH MoCap file), then I apply the talking head BVH, it replaces everything with just that, a talking head. I did select the relevant parts when importing but it seems to replace everything anyway.

Alternatively, Mimic can be used in version 4.9. I recommend switching off Head movements if used in conjunction with a motion, say a character walking and talking. Head seems to go insane, good for a Silent Hill type effect but nothing else :) Even after unlocking all the nodes and turning off limits, the application of Mimic makes the head very jittery. Everything else seems OK.

Since I am unable to combine movement + speech in 4.1, 4.9 with Mimic seems better at the moment.

• wolf359 said:

I have been able to record clean lipsinc ,in mimic live, from my Macbook to  Daz studio on my Win7 gateway PC  and from an Old Compaq tower running vista to my Win7 gateway PC.

All attempts, I have made ,using two different smart phones , as the audio source ,have failed to record.sad

Same here. But if I feed a file, it seems to perform much better. For settings, I use Strength at 1.74, delay at 1000ms and animation delay at 10ms. Gives the best results here.

" am unable to use two BVH at the same time. If I have a character 

walking in a circle (BVH MoCap file), then I apply the talking head BVH, 

it replaces everything with just that, a talking head. I did select the relevant 

parts when importing but it seems to replace everything anyway."

Hi there are methods to save a lipsinc animation for the head onl.
    first  create your lipsinc with whatever is working for you 
    ( mimic live or mimic basic in 32 bit DS)
    Save as animated pose file All frames range, but unfold the figure hierarchy 

in the save dialog ,and uncheck everything except all of the head poses and morphs. and save

you can test your saved file  by applying it to a freshly loaded default figure to see if it makes him/her mouth/eyes start moving when applied.

Now  load your body motion BVH to an unanimated version of your figure first and then you can load in that  talking head animation pose file at any point.
    Daz studio will let you load the recorded voice Audio  at whatever frame you want to match when the figures mouth starts to move.

• wolf359 said:

" am unable to use two BVH at the same time. If I have a character 

walking in a circle (BVH MoCap file), then I apply the talking head BVH, 

it replaces everything with just that, a talking head. I did select the relevant 

parts when importing but it seems to replace everything anyway."

Hi there are methods to save a lipsinc animation for the head onl.
    first  create your lipsinc with whatever is working for you 
    ( mimic live or mimic basic in 32 bit DS)
    Save as animated pose file All frames range, but unfold the figure hierarchy 

in the save dialog ,and uncheck everything except all of the head poses and morphs. and save

you can test your saved file  by applying it to a freshly loaded default figure to see if it makes him/her mouth/eyes start moving when applied.

Now  load your body motion BVH to an unanimated version of your figure first and then you can load in that  talking head animation pose file at any point.
    Daz studio will let you load the recorded voice Audio  at whatever frame you want to match when the figures mouth starts to move.

When you say save as animated pose, do you mean BVH or FBX file? Odd because that was my first instinct, to check only head and morphs, didn't work for some reason.

• try anilip it works well, using text to speech which can get expensive using premium voices. Licensing thats another story.

I clone 7 works well but its a scam you need to buy all their trash to get best results using daz characters. You can even do motion capture with an xbox kinnect. 

But if you being cheap? Try anilip and sync everything up in a video editor as it does not import audio files, its text to speech.

Tacos.

• try anilip it works well, using text to speech which can get expensive using premium voices. Licensing thats another story.

I clone 7 works well but its a scam you need to buy all their trash to get best results using daz characters. You can even do motion capture with an xbox kinnect. 

But if you being cheap? Try anilip and sync everything up in a video editor as it does not import audio files, its text to speech.

Tacos.

Ah yes, I have it bookmarked, I'll give it a go if current methods prove unsatisfactory.

• Just been experimenting with AniLip and Skyrim audio files.

They work.

You can get a Skyrim audio file format converter from Nexusmods (Yakitori works well - there's another that keeps crashing on me). 

But you'll need Animate2 for D|S to load the audio file. Still, type the dialog lines in the AniLip window, write it to the Timeline, load the converted Skyrim WAV file, and away we go.

So far I've only used short dialog clips, like fight taunts and whatnot, not the "epic speeches". Gonna try one of those next.

• I've tested slightly longer dialog files, and it will take some editing, but so far it can all be done win D|S with AniMate2. You may have to get creative with phonetic spelling of the text to get the mouth to move correctly, as well as cropping of the audio file aniblock to get the pacing right, but so far it's safe to say you can use pre-recorded audio files with AniLip.