Carrara 8.5 Pro and Quicktime renders with Alpha Channel

HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

It seems that Carrara 8.5 Pro does not use Quicktime and therefore movies as MOV files with an Alpha channel can not be rendered. Is this correct? What is the alternative designed into 8.5 Pro?

Comments

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

HeavyD said:
    It seems that Carrara 8.5 Pro does not use Quicktime and therefore movies as MOV files with an Alpha channel can not be rendered. Is this correct? What is the alternative designed into 8.5 Pro?

Carrara 8.5 Pro does use Quicktime. Movies/animations saved as .mov files (which is a Quicktime only file format) can be rendered with alpha channels. At least on a Mac it does. I just tried it. If you're on Win I have to assume it's the same but couldn't say for sure.

When you go to render your file, go to the OUTPUT tab. Under file format choose Quicktime Movie. Right under that, check the Render Alpha Channel box. All of this worked for me. It should for you too.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

If you are on 64 bit windows and are using the 64 bit Carrara, you won't see an option for Quicktime output. This is because Apple has not released a 64 bit version of Quicktime.

However, Daz may soon have a way to allow 64 bit Carrara to access the 32 bit Quicktime until Apple can update it to 64 bit

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    If you are on 64 bit windows and are using the 64 bit Carrara, you won't see an option for Quicktime output. This is because Apple has not released a 64 bit version of Quicktime.

However, Daz may soon have a way to allow 64 bit Carrara to access the 32 bit Quicktime until Apple can update it to 64 bit

So it's a (64 bit) Windows thing. I'm on a 64 bit Mac using 64 bit Carrara 8.5 Pro and it does utilize the 32 bit Quicktime.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited December 1969

An alternative that many folks use is to render out in "Sequenced Images" format, which is read (as an animation) by many movie editing programs. Selecting PNG, TGA, and likely some others that can hold an alpha channel, as your output will give you a folder full of images.
    After Effects, I use Dogwaffle Pro: Howler, and others, can read that set of images as an animation and allow further editing.