Error from Fenric's PZ2 Exporter for custom morphs

edited September 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hi there!

I'm hoping my n00bness is just getting the best of me, but I have an error I can't figure out on my own. I just bought Carrara 8.5 Pro and Fenric's BVH/PZ2 Exporter, in hopes of making custom Genesis morphs that I can import into DAZ Studio as well as other 3D software.

I have created a few morph dials in Carrara that I want to export. I turned up the dials in the Model room, then went back to the Assemble room. I selected my Genesis figure, hit Export, then selected the .pz file option in the dropdown. When Fenric's dialog came up, I checked the "Include Morph Dials" option. However, I get the message "An error has occurred" when I tried the export. No details about the error are given.

A file is generated at the folder location I specified. However, I tried opening it in Notepad and it has almost no data in it. And when I tried importing the file into DS4.6, I don't get any new morph dials.

I've attached an image file of the steps I took and the final error. Any help you wonderful community can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PZ2ExportError.jpg
1565 x 1074 - 383K
Post edited by hsiehpet_89e9eea044 on

Comments

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

The BVH/PZ2 exporter (originally titled the "Poser Pose Exporter") was specifically designed to get Poser-native Poser-figure morphs and posing back into Poser. Studio happens to be able to load PZ2 files so that worked, too. I added BVH because people asked me to. But BVH won't help you, because it is only motion data - not morphs.

But there is a problem with what you are trying to do: Genesis isn't a Poser-native figure.

I'll try to see what I can do, but even if I manage to get the PZ2 exported - can you apply a PZ2 to Genesis? (Honest question,there - not sarcasm. I don't use DAZ Studio)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited December 1969

Yes you can now. They did that so that we could use legacy files as a starting point for making new ones.

edited December 1969

hsiehpet said:
    Hi there!

I'm hoping my n00bness is just getting the best of me, but I have an error I can't figure out on my own. I just bought Carrara 8.5 Pro and Fenris' BVH/PZ2 Exporter, in hopes of making custom Genesis morphs that I can import into DAZ Studio as well as other 3D software.

I have created a few morph dials in Carrara that I want to export. I turned up the dials in the Model room, then went back to the Assemble room. I selected my Genesis figure, hit Export, then selected the .pz file option in the dropdown. When Fenris' dialog came up, I checked the "Include Morph Dials" option. However, I get the message "An error has occurred" when I tried the export. No details about the error are given.

A file is generated at the folder location I specified. However, I tried opening it in Notepad and it has almost no data in it. And when I tried importing the file into DS4.6, I don't get any new morph dials.

I've attached an image file of the steps I took and the final error. Any help you wonderful community can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

That would be really cool if that worked. Simple way to do it.
    Here is how you save the morphs for distribution via Daz Studio, and this is an In Depth Project Overview for creating Character presets, JCMs the whole nine yards. I haven't gone into that part yet, but I believe you do it by exporting the obj with your modifications on it - and importing it in DS onto Genesis as a morph and then save (export) it as such - which, if it's a custom shape, will show up as a dial on Genesis "Actor" shape morphs.
  • edited September 2013

Thanks to both Fenric and Dartanbeck for the help!

In the end, I was able to export the morphs and input them into Daz Studio. I turned down all of the morph dials, then isolated turning on each dial separately and exporting the figure (with just one dial turned up at a time) as an .OBJ file. Then I used the Morph Loader Pro in DS to bring in the morphs.

Fenric, if you can get the .PZ write to work, that would be awesome. If not, I'm still looking forward to using the .BVH export functionality for animations (which are on my to-do list).

Thanks again.

Post edited by hsiehpet_89e9eea044 on
    edited December 1969

Wait... I've looked a little deeper into it. This is a good explanation of the process I intend to use for this. At least this is where I intend to start my practice into this same stuff. :)

• edited December 1969

Yes, that is pretty much the same workflow I used. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Awesome. Also, don't count out the exporter. It works beautifully for exporting animated PZ2s from the timeline - and is another great way to get poses you make from Carrara into the other apps. It's been a while, but I believe that you can even use it to save character files that were made by dialing existing morphs - just not for newly made ones.

I have all of the Fenric plugins. Makes Carrara a better home for me :)