How do HD add ons work?

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
edited October 2018 in New Users

I never bought one before and I don't know what I need to do to get it to apply. I figured the HD version would load along side the normal one in smart content. Do I need to find the file in my product library and apply it to surfaces? Just for background, I bought Rune and the Rune HD Add On

Post edited by DDCreate on

Comments

• An HD morph works on the same figure as the non-HD morphs - but it can (because of the way DS is coded) manipulate the vertices created by the SubDivision process, not just the vertices of the base mesh. Using it is just the same as using a regular morph, except that the SubD level matters as that determines how many vertices are available. Generally the Render SubD Level is fine, very few morphs need or can use more than four levels of SubD, but the preview uses the main SubD level and that will not, by default, be high enough to show all the detail - that is also the level used for export, including export to external render engines such as Octane, so it may need tweaking for some users (at the expense of viewport performance).

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
    edited October 2018

Well yeah, obviously! :P lol

What I meant was how do I apply the HD stuff to the character? The way I understood it, Rune looks like Rune out of the box. But then there's this handy dandy HD Morph product that you apply to her that makes her look more realistic. Does simply downloading the HD Morph in DIM apply it to the character or do I have to select her and apply it somehow? I'm not actually at my computer anymore or I'd be digging around instead of bugging the board. I'm just hoping to know what to do when I get home instad of stumbling around trying to figure it out. The product page didn't have any instructions and this my first time using an HD Add On

Thanks for any help! :)

Post edited by DDCreate on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,136
    edited October 2018

You should find a second "Actor" in Smart Content under Figures - People - Female - Real World  called "Rune 7 HD" (the original is just "Rune 7"). If you load that version of the figure it will have the HD stuff applied.

Alternatively if you already have a Rune-based character in your scene and just want to "HD" it then in the Parameters pane you should find a Rune 7 HD morph slider you can apply (I don;t have the Rune HD Add-on myself so I;m not sure where it is, but I do have some other HD Add-ons and they work like that).

ETA: If you follow the second paragraph, you may need to increase the Render SubD level like Richard mentions - I believe that if you load the HD character directly that will already have been done.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    DDCreate said:

Well yeah, obviously! :P lol

What I meant was how do I apply the HD stuff to the character? The way I understood it, Rune looks like Rune out of the box. But then there's this handy dandy HD Morph product that you apply to her that makes her look more realistic. Does simply downloading the HD Morph in DIM apply it to the character or do I have to select her and apply it somehow? I'm not actually at my computer anymore or I'd be digging around instead of bugging the board. I'm just hoping to know what to do when I get home instad of stumbling around trying to figure it out. The product page didn't have any instructions and this my first time using an HD Add On

Thanks for any help! :)

there should be a Rune HD parameter slider

I don't own Rune but that is the case for other characters

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Thank you everyone for the info. I checked for the slider and the Rune HD (that's kinda what I thought I needed to do but they weren't there.) The problem is that even though I thought I downloaded it, it appears I un-cllicked it. So it's downloading now and I'm sure I'll be fine. So sorry for the false alarm. Step one is making sure you download :P I'm an idiot.