DIM and installation on external hard drives [Solved]

WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
edited October 2018 in The Commons

So my less than a year old ABS 1080 ti died and I had to replace the motherboard and reinstall Windows 10 from a flash drive. Somehow it wiped out my whole C drive which it wasn’t supposed to but luckily everything important is on an external hard drive (and in the cloud.) So I had to redownload DS and DIM and when I started DIM, it did see all the products that had been downloaded but showed them as not being installed. When I started DS, I directed it to the library where I had previously installed everything but it did not see anything as installed, everything was greyed out. So now I’m reinstalling over 15,000 products! (I started here in 2005!) Why is DS not recognizing everything installed in the library on my external hard drive? Also, the Daz library itself keeps becoming hidden in File Explorer and I have to set the whole thing to unhide hidden folders or I can’t see it...

Post edited by Wonderland on

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Your manifest files tell DIM was was installed. Their default location is in the C:Users folder. Your CMS database holds the information about your Studio installed products. It also resides on your C: drive.

Once again, a regular backup routine is worth it. Just remember to include your Windows Users files in the backup.. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    fastbike1 said:

Your manifest files tell DIM was was installed. Their default location is in the C:Users folder. Your CMS database holds the information about your Studio installed products. It also resides on your C: drive.

Once again, a regular backup routine is worth it. Just remember to include your Windows Users files in the backup.. 

Oh, thanks, I didn’t know what those files were. I should have put them on my external drive too.