Clarification with DAZ and Second Life - Original Character?

I know there are complciated things between DAZ and Second Life TOS (though I hear it has been reworked), so I have two very specific questions.

I want to import my Na'vi shape that was put together on G8F using various morphs from other products. First, am I allowed to upload and use it for myself? Second, if people expressed interest, would I be allowed to sell the shape?

Thank you.

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

A shape in SL is done by using the parameters set up by Second Life. If you reshape the Second Life Avatar and  upload that mesh, then it's no longer a shape. Both those things, however, are doable. Taking the mesh from Daz to Second Life, no. You'd have to take a look at the Game License to see if it allowed you to take in the mesh (for personal use) to Second Life. You wouldn't be able to sell it, I'm almost positive. Plus the game licenses cover particular meshes.

• A shape in SL is done by using the parameters set up by Second Life. If you reshape the Second Life Avatar and  upload that mesh, then it's no longer a shape.

...I'm not sure I understand the point of this? I know what a shape is, and I know how they work; I've been playing SL for 10 years.

On the other info,  I was more concerned with Genesis 8's mesh itself--and then looking to see if I could get game licences for the products used to create the shape.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited October 2018

I merely answered on the basis of not knowing how much you knew. The fact that you were using "shape" and not "mesh" is what made me think you may not know.

Yes, you can get game licenses for the Daz mesh (so long as you're not using anything by a PA - those would require separate licenses if they have been made available by the PA), but you should read through the license and if it doesn't specifically cover SL, then put in a ticket for further clarification. While my understanding is the license should allow you to take the mesh into SL for your own use, I don't think it allows resale. I simply urge you to read the license first. 

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited October 2018

Can't see Daz being all that keen on this bit of the Second Life TOS:

You hereby grant to Linden Lab, and you agree to grant to Linden Lab, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, modify, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and sell, re-sell or sublicense (through multiple levels)(with respect to each Product or otherwise on the Service as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service), and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media, software, formula, or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same.

Rendorosity won't let its products be used there for this reason. I don't know about Daz.

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I won’t allow my freebies to be used there either, for that very reason.

• The Interactive Licenses and the old Game Developer Licenses cover use only in a complete game (or applciation), not use as add-on content, so my reading would be that it would not allow use in Second Life.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited October 2018

Wow :O Well that answers that! No wonder so many content creators up and left. :/

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
  • Yeah, when Linden Labs made that content-ownership change in their TOS, they jumped the shark, crammed the shark into a refridgerator, and then nuked the fridge.