Sculptural Genesis 8 Ultra Fun Kit [Commercial]

Now available - Sculptural Genesis 8 Ultra Fun Kit! Everything you need to turn Genesis 8 Male & Female into beautiful statues & lamps.

It has a custom UV optimized for stone shaders; shape presets, poses, props, and a ton of 4k textures & iray shader presets. 

For fans of the original Sculptural Genesis, the changes in this set include all-new 4k textures and shader presets, a few more props and a few more poses - in particular, telamon poses for the male equivalent of caryatids. Caryatids (pillar ladies) are meant to look comfortable, like they aren't carrying a weight, while telamons (pillar men) are meant to look like they are straining under the weight.  All the poses come in male & female versions, though - you can use the telamon poses on Genesis 8 Female and vice versa. 

The props that are carried over from the original set have been updated with new UVs and in a lot of cases with new mesh topology. The character shapes in the original set were based on ancient Roman statue styles; the Sculptural Genesis 8 character shapes are based on statues by Michaelangelo. 

Click here to watch a video showing how to use the product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2g12soi0dE

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

This kit looks exceptional.  instant buy for me!

Funny thing is I was obsessed with David so made that almost exact "David" pose for both Genesis 8 Male and included a similar pose in a product pack sold at Hivewires store for Dusk a couple of years back now.  So if I ever release that as a pack for G8M please don't think I've stolen your pose!  lol 

Dusk David Pose.png
    451 x 409 - 39K
  • Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

Yay, I'm glad you like it! Hopefully you'll enjoy the G8M shape preset, because it's heavily based on Michaelangelo's David, including the oversized hands & feet.  No worries about the pose - it's the most famous statue in the world, probably; I'm sure a lot of people include that pose! I don't remember why I didn't include it in the Genesis 1 set but I figured I should add it this time around :) 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

:-)  I'm actually quite proficient in creating poses but really got the pack for the shaders and the props.  Thanks again hon! 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I really really liked Genesis Sculptural, and am very happy to see a version for G8. ;)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

A lot of goodies in the kit, so I have purchased it, as well.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Thank you for the video illustration.  I wasn't exactly sure what one would do with it, but the video shows how easy it is to use.  I'm getting it!

Thanks! I'm so glad the video is helpful :)

• SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308

This is a great product with so much to offer. I am very impressed with all the different options. Very happy!

edited October 2018

Great kit. I like it very much.

Sculptural09pic03.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 140K
    Sculptural10pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 128K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Fussel2107Fussel2107 Posts: 86
    edited October 2018
    the-general_full.png
    1427 x 803 - 2M
    Post edited by Fussel2107 on

Nice cat girl statues, Artini!

Fussel2107, I love that "shrine" image - very poignant.

Thanks a lot, Canary3d.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited October 2019

@Canary3d can you help me figure out why I am getting these seams? I am using DS 4.12. I am using the copper material and the Sculptural UV.

Sculptural UV Copper Seams.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2019
    barbult said:

@Canary3d can you help me figure out why I am getting these seams? I am using DS 4.12. I am using the copper material and the Sculptural UV.

The Sculptural UV is a split planar UV in which I've manually dragged out all the edge points to prevent texture stretching. This means there is a seam all the way around the side of the figure. It works really well for small allover patterns like granite--with those you can look right at the seam and it doesn't show - but for textures with strong direction or big patterns it will show the seam. If you look at my angel in this promo you can see the seam pretty strongly on the base, on her shoulder, and on the curve of her hip. https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/sculptural-genesis-8-ultra-fun-kit-13-daz3d.jpg

For a camera angle like yours, there are a couple of options. One is to figure out if there's a way to combine DimensionTheory's projection shader from the Shades of Life product, with an Iray shader...if you like noodling with shaders that is worth a try. Noodling with shaders is not my strong point, so I would choose the second option, which is postwork. BUT! I would NOT try to fix this particular render by cloning out seams because the fingers would be a total nightmare. So I'd suggest compositing two renders - this one, and another one in which you change the arm surface UV to the default UV, which will shift the seam to a line around her biceps and hopefully give you a clear shot of the the hand where the seams are hidden on the bottoms of the fingers. You'll still have to clone out some seams but they won't be as extreme. If you're feeling particularly into tweaking things, you could also use the image edit function in the shader to rotate the texture so the lines travel down the arm instead of across it. -- unfortunately from a sculptural standpoint, the default arm UVs are perpendicular to the rest of the body.

Sorry there's not a less fiddly solution!

Post edited by Canary3d on

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will see what I can accomplish.

I now recognize this problem as something I have seen before, related to normal maps. If I turn the normal map strength down to 0, the seams are MUCH less visible. There are threads about this in the forum, and I submitted a help request about it a long time ago, but there has been no resolution. The problem first became visible in DS 4.11. I first had this normal map problem with older Jessaii (Silver) characters. Others say they have the problem with Emrys characters. Perhaps you could ask your contacts at Daz about it. Maybe there is some different way to build the normal map or set the channel settings that would avoid the problem (wishful thinking).

edited October 2019

I turned the normal map strength to 0, upped the bump to 50 and increased the roughness. This has no postwork. A little healing brush or clone brush in Photoshop could fix the remaining seam lines easily, I think. They are not bad.

Sculptural UV Copper Seams normal 0 bump and roughness increased.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2019

Even more fun with Sculptural and Face Transfer together.

Canary3D, you are a genius and your products serve well our Daz 3D community.

Thanks again for creating such an amazing and useful product.

ft101.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 157K
    Post edited by Artini on
    barbult said:

I turned the normal map strength to 0, upped the bump to 50 and increased the roughness. This has no postwork. A little healing brush or clone brush in Photoshop could fix the remaining seam lines easily, I think. They are not bad.

I suspect that removing the normal map is reducing the 3d effect of the render, which means that the seams lay flatter. It looks a little more plasticky, I think, because of the more spread-out highlights, but the seams are definitely less noticeable and the effect is good overall.

Artini said:

Even more fun with Sculptural and Face Transfer together.

Canary3D, you are a genius and your products serve well our Daz 3D community.

Thanks again for creating such an amazing and useful product.

LOL! Ok how does a ceramic man grow real hair, is what I wonder.

Canary3d said:
    barbult said:

I suspect that removing the normal map is reducing the 3d effect of the render, which means that the seams lay flatter. It looks a little more plasticky, I think, because of the more spread-out highlights, but the seams are definitely less noticeable and the effect is good overall.

I think part of the spread out highlight is because I increased roughness quite a bit to reduce the sharp highlight. indecisionI could try with less roughtness, I guess.

barbult said:

I think part of the spread out highlight is because I increased roughness quite a bit to reduce the sharp highlight. indecisionI could try with less roughtness, I guess.

I'm a big fan of compositing renders in post - I mean, that doesn't work for animation, but you've got two nice renders here that you can selectively layer together to keep your favorite parts of each.