Using DIM to install Carrara 8.5 and Native Content (Mac 64bit)

MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Using DIM to install Carrara 8.5 and Native Content (Mac 64bit).

The issue:

I followed the getting started directions, and installation was successful, but native content 8 and 8.5 is not showing when using the application.

The Installation Process:

1. Used DIM to first install 8.5 pro.

2. Native content failed to load, and gave me this message "Install Manager cannot find a required path, content requires a path to be defined"

3. I quit DIM and relaunched. And ran the installer again. This time it found the correct path. (that path was automatically added by DIM after relaunch).

Running the app:

• Entering my serial number was successful.
• DAZ content is found and used successfully.

Major issues:
• Native content is not found.
• Scene wizard cannot be used, only an empty scene can be made.

See attached images for additional notes:

Installation-notes-02.jpg
1702 x 1944 - 416K

Comments

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

Update:

I have read and followed these instructions, removed the beta versions uninstalled Carrara and reinstalled it following these instructions. The problems below still persist.

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/21966849-How-to-Install-Carrara-8-5-Pro-with-Install-Manager

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Max

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

It doesn't work. You have to manually install for Mac OSX. I'm trying to locate my instructions from earlier posts, because –

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

OK. With appropriate screenshots, cause that's what I was looking for. Look in these threads http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28076/ and http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27893/P30 for more.

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Not to step on anyone's toes, but because I've just spent the last several minutes typing the following, I'll post it anyway, even if it's not still needed.

On the Macintosh, the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) seems to install the Carrara Native Content to an incorrect location in the Carrara8.5 folder in the Applications folder. It needs to be moved into the Carrara.app application package.

Open the Applications folder.
    Open the DAZ 3D folder.
    Open the Carrara8.5 or the Carrara8.5 64-bit folder.
    Notice that there are three folder in this location: pics, Presets, and Scenes. They need to be moved into the Carrara.app application package.
    To do this, Control-click on the Carrara.app file and select "Show Package Contents" from the menu.
    In the window that opens, open the Contents folder, then the MacOS folder.
    Drag the pics, Presets, and Scenes folders into the MacOS folder

If you have both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Carrara installed, you'll need to do the above for each installation.

contents-macos.png
    738 x 705 - 174K
    showpackagecontents.png
    756 x 559 - 87K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A bug report hjas been filed about the DIM and the Mac content.

edited December 1969

De3an!

You are correct!

I followed your instructions and can now see all of the content. You didn't mention to copy pics to the MacOS folder too, but I could see in your screen capture that you did, so I followed that.

Thank you you for saving me from a frustrating rest of the day. :)

Cheers!

Max

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

I've got a quick workaround that seems to be working for most of my Carrara content on the Mac.

What I did, was I installed all of the content using DIM to its default (incorrect) locations. Then, I opened up Terminal and created symbolic links (or aliases) to the proper location.

Advantages, DIM works fine with this and will uninstall and install content as it wishes, I've confirmed this, plus, since you have a symbolic link in the proper location the paths that Carrara expects to use will also work and all of your content shows up.

I've got all of my content working now thanks to this except for a couple of specific packages that I'm still trying to troubleshoot.

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Exact commands I used, now that I'm at my main system:

Open Terminal (it's under Applications/Utitlities)

On the command line window type the following commands:

cd /Applications/DAZ\ 3D/Carrara8.5\ 64-bit/Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS/
    ln -s /Applications/DAZ\ 3D/Carrara8.5\ 64-bit/Presets/ Presets
    ln -s /Applications/DAZ\ 3D/Carrara8.5\ 64-bit/Scenes/ Scenes

That will create a symbolic link (or alias) to the location that DIM installs its files to in the proper location that Carrara expects to find them. Launch Carrara and you're all set.

• deadspeakdeadspeak Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Greetings, de3an thanks for the tip it works. The problem I'am having now is Poser content, a lot of it is not visible in C8.5. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks

edited December 1969

Deadspeak. Is all of your content at the old path? DAZ is phasing out the old library path, and installers. You should use DIM to install all of your content, it uses the new default path. If you try to use a custom path, nothing will work. But, with that, you also need to remove the old directory path and "map" to the new path in DAZ, and Carrara too. It's pretty easy to do. Basicly you just change the directory path from the old to the new (Users\Shared\My DAZ 3D Library).

DAZ
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/23624648-Adding-Content-installed-by-DIM-to-DAZ-Studio-or-Poser

Carrara, Read step 5 here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/getting_started/tutorials/setup_guide/start

After you map your content in DAZ, you might need to reset your database.

• deadspeakdeadspeak Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Thanks Max, got most of the Poser content. Relief :lol: