New plugin: Phong tessellation and displacement

Comments

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Thanks. This is beautiful, Philemo! yes

One comment, the Component ID is the same as that of the SDK Explode modifier example. I couldn't install until I deleted the Explode plugin.

• Alberto said:

One comment, the Component ID is the same as that of the SDK Explode modifier example. I couldn't install until I deleted the Explode plugin.

Ouch, I forgot that. I'll correct it and upload a new version.

• Congrats for your renderings 

th3Digit said:

it indeed has some displacement without but the second guy more ripped heart

one needs to add a displacement of value 1-100  set to 50 (or grey colour) to all the other surfaces Phong or no phong

Why do you think so? The plugin ignores material areas where no displacement is set. 50 is no displacement (with default offset).

th3Digit said:

his nipples a bit wrinkly though 

laugh

th3Digit said:

adding more angles as my animation renders for Misty heart

underwear a problem, had to enlarge and does not fit well

I wonder if VWD would see the displacement in 3D view or more to the point cope with it!

I think it would, but I'm not sure it could cope with it in a reasonable response time. I think it might work setting a "vertex by halp pixel value" to 8 or 16 before exporting to VWD to reduce the number of facets to something VWD may handle.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814

was not your plugin but Carrara that needed the 50% for the M4 displacement maps

without the modifier

the modifier just increases and brings out the details as seen in my renders

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,690

Looks great, many thank-yous !!!

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Philemo,

Sounds awesome !

One question regarding this plugin based on your quote.

"The idea of this Plug-in is to subdivide heavily (up to 4 vertices per pixel), but only what is necessary. So, off-screen facets or facing away from the camera are not subdivided. Contours are perfect due to subdivision and micro displacement is now possible."

My question is since off screen and facing away facets are not affected....what about having far away facets not affected, based on the distance of the rendering camera.

I think Brianorca did this with his ocean plugin to help save resources and not choke Carrara.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    th3Digit said:

a video

Ow...ow...ow...ow...ow...hev guy on the right is taking it like it's a pillow fight. :D

Doesn't this kinda bring us closer to being able to use HD in Carara? Probably wishful thinking.  lol

• McGuiver said:

Philemo,

Sounds awesome !

One question regarding this plugin based on your quote.

"The idea of this Plug-in is to subdivide heavily (up to 4 vertices per pixel), but only what is necessary. So, off-screen facets or facing away from the camera are not subdivided. Contours are perfect due to subdivision and micro displacement is now possible."

My question is since off screen and facing away facets are not affected....what about having far away facets not affected, based on the distance of the rendering camera.

I think Brianorca did this with his ocean plugin to help save resources and not choke Carrara.

I think it's done naturally. Far away facets occupy a few pixels, so there will be only a few or even no subdivision.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2018

Doesn't this kinda bring us closer to being able to use HD in Carara? Probably wishful thinking.  lol

I have to look into that "HD" thing. Unfortunately, as "HD" was supposed not to work in Carrara, I've never bought any product using it. The only one I have are some clothes:

https://www.daz3d.com/kung-fu-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s
    https://www.daz3d.com/wicked-night-out

The second one has a displacement map, so maybe it could be done. The first one has an "HD Morph". I clearly need more data on it. according to documentation, it's linked into subdivision:

HD morph:

High Resolution. Used for objects clearly visible in the foreground of your image

Accurate physically calculated shadows are cast, works great with Physically based rendering (PBR).

For the best result dial in exactly the same (render) SubDivision level for the morph as it was created for.

You can improve system performance by adjusting the (render) subdivision to a lower level but then you will see less detail.

Allows export the model as .obj  . at the highest SubD level to use or render in 3rd party software.

Does anyone know how "HD" is supposed to work on a technical level?

I think I'll buy a cheap "HD" character preset to reverse engineer it... Depending on how it's done and how I can link that "Morph" to actual mesh, maybe it could be done.

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Philemo said:

I think I'll buy a cheap "HD" character preset to reverse engineer it... Depending on how it's done and how I can link that "Morph" to actual mesh, maybe it could be done.

Done. I've used my monthly platinum coupon to buy https://www.daz3d.com/zaniyah-hd-for-genesis-2-female-s

I'll look into it and report back

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Brings HD to our older generation figures!  Like Guiness...phong puts some muscle in the old ding dong!    yes  devilSilene

Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

Done. I've used my monthly platinum coupon to buy https://www.daz3d.com/zaniyah-hd-for-genesis-2-female-s

I'm all for donating to help study this.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2018
    Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

OK, I looked into it and HD Morph file format seems to be the next top secret thingie just close to Coca Cola secret formula or KFC secret recipe.

I'm very sure I'd get into deep troubles with DAZ were I trying to crack that. So I won't.

Note to moderator: I said I wouldn't break any copyright.

Instead, I have a more general purpose idea. What if I could generate a displacement map depicting the differences of 2 meshes with identical UV but different resolution and/or morph?

So in Studio, you export your character with subdivide 0, then with subdivide 4 or 5 with HD on as an Wavefront OBJ file. You import both in Carrara, trigger the plugin and then...
    Displacement maps are created so that you can have the low res one looking exactly like the second one or apply them to the original figure.

Of course, It's not limited to HD morph. You can sculpt in an other tool like sculptris or zbrush (or modifiy in the vertex modeler a subdivided mesh), import back and do exactly the same operation.

What do you think of this idea?

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,690
    Philemo said:
    Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

OK, I looked into it and HD Morph file format seems to be the next top secret thingie just close to Coca Cola secret formula or KFC secret recipe.

I'm very sure I'd get into deep troubles with DAZ were I trying to crack that. So I won't.

Note to moderator: I said I wouldn't break any copyright.

Instead, I have a more general purpose idea. What if I could generate a displacement map depicting the differences of 2 meshes with identical UV but different resolution and/or morph?

So in Studio, you export your character with subdivide 0, then with subdivide 4 or 5 with HD on as an Wavefront OBJ file. You import both in Carrara, trigger the plugin and then...
    Displacement maps are created so that you can have the low res one looking exactly like the second one or apply them to the original figure.

Of course, It's not limited to HD morph. You can sculpt in an other tool like sculptris or zbrush (or modifiy in the vertex modeler a subdivided mesh), import back and do exactly the same operation.

Glad you are not trying to crack that Top Secret that might incur the wrath of having the boys sent around.

Being able to create extra displacement maps would be great, I would then be able to add extra detail that I want to my critter morphs. Also looking at doing some critter/spaceship modelling next year and being able to add further detail while keeping a lower poly model would be awesome - especially for Carrara renders that are getting up in size. Many thank-yous for the work that you are doing/thinking of doing !!!!

Philemo said:
    Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

I have very bad luck using Carrara vertex modeller to create or alter morphs, in or out of animation mode. Especially on faces for eg heavy brows for Neanderthals. They end up all edgy and pointy. That's why I have to do it in Zbrush, then imp/exp... and have to be very careful not to break the mesh!  Your idea sounds much more doable.  

Wish there was a way in Carrara's vertex modeller as well to jump into the middle of an object and select vertices/plygons.  Sometimes I get the green lasso and can do it, other times it totally fails and these are on items without protected topology such as a terrain in a medium scene, nothing huge.  If there's already a tool for that, someone please tell me!!

Cheers for all your hard work to keep Carrara alive!  I'd contribute as well. 

heart  Silene

• Philemo said:
    Alberto said:

Ouch, I forgot that. I'll correct it and upload a new version.

New archive uploaded with correction

• @Jamy (and other mac users), OSX version has been uploaded to SourceForge

• Short Demo/tutorial

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Philemo said:

I have to look into that "HD" thing. Unfortunately, as "HD" was supposed not to work in Carrara, I've never bought any product using it. The only one I have are some clothes:

https://www.daz3d.com/kung-fu-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s
    https://www.daz3d.com/wicked-night-out

The second one has a displacement map, so maybe it could be done. The first one has an "HD Morph". I clearly need more data on it. according to documentation, it's linked into subdivision:

HD morph:

High Resolution. Used for objects clearly visible in the foreground of your image

Accurate physically calculated shadows are cast, works great with Physically based rendering (PBR).

For the best result dial in exactly the same (render) SubDivision level for the morph as it was created for.

You can improve system performance by adjusting the (render) subdivision to a lower level but then you will see less detail.

Allows export the model as .obj  . at the highest SubD level to use or render in 3rd party software.

Does anyone know how "HD" is supposed to work on a technical level?

hd morphs use a different file extention (not dsf)  

stephanie 8 doesnt include a base lvl jcm for her elbows. 

edited October 2018

while HD is encrypted and a DAZ secret Poser actually sees it

its a mystery nobody but DAZ knows the answers to

what Poser does is actually load the subdivided mesh and transfers the weights so an obj of it is sort of the right track

in other words if Carrara could import the HD object along with the original base figure and project the weightmapping to it or the HD projects onto the base mesh, this is actually what Poser and other apps that use it are doing, the secret is how DAZ studio does it. One is not allowed to reverse engineer that but anyone can create a way to project a higher resolution object onto a lower one by independent means.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2018

what Carrara actually needs its that fancy normal map projection that creates 3D in 3 directions mesh which iClone has, then one could use a HD object to create the maps for it.

vector displacement maps

Zbrush does them among other softwares 

oh Philemo there is indeed a profitable for you alternative 

become a DAZ PA yes

if you actually are selling content in the DAZ store you will most likely after signing a NDA in your firstborns blood get access to the HD technology and be able to collaborate with DAZ developers etc and get paid for it.

• th3Digit said:

what Carrara actually needs its that fancy normal map projection that creates 3D in 3 directions mesh which iClone has, then one could use a HD object to create the maps for it.

vector displacement maps

I had that one figured out because displacement works along the normal. If the HD moves the point along the normal, then it's fine, otherwise a new normal is needed.

• th3Digit said:

vector displacement maps

I guess the mystery lies in the DSON importer, so we're back in the copyright issue.

• th3Digit said:

become a DAZ PA yes

if you actually are selling content in the DAZ store you will most likely after signing a NDA in your firstborns blood get access to the HD technology and be able to collaborate with DAZ developers etc and get paid for it.

I don't know. I'm afraid I couldn't model something worth of a Pa, even under torture sad. So, the only way for me is to develop plugins for Studio. If we forget the fact that I'm not really interested in doing so (except maybe for the money as my wife is urging me), I don't think they would give that kind of technology to a developer (I guess they must have some kind of need to know policy).

edited October 2018
    Philemo said:
    th3Digit said:

become a DAZ PA yes

I don't know. I'm afraid I couldn't model something worth of a Pa, even under torture sad. So, the only way for me is to develop plugins for Studio. If we forget the fact that I'm not really interested in doing so (except maybe for the money as my wife is urging me), I don't think they would give that kind of technology to a developer (I guess they must have some kind of need to know policy).

plugins certainly sell in DAZ store maybe some giving DS Carrara like features such as a tree generator 

Howie made ultrascatter that could use such feature, you could just generate trees with transmapped leaves so others can do different textures or use existing ones from other trees or a cutouts version, 

there are many tree generators out there that are open source 

even if it is just for the money and keep your wife happy

I might even buy it

• Philemo,

I use your plugins and would gladly pay for them.

• Philemo,

Actually, you can wink. There is a "donate" box in sourceforge.

Philemo said:

Philemo,

Actually, you can wink. There is a "donate" box in sourceforge.

It's very discreetly located on the left side of the menu bar without a PayPal logo, which is why I didn't notice it before.

Cheers, yes  Silene