Spotlight question

Hello, 

I tried searching the forums for an answer to this, but maybe I'm not searching for the right wording, I don't know, but I apologize if this is super easy or has been spoken about at length. 

But I was just playing around with a spotlight. I don't know what I hit, but all of a sudden when I switched the light geometry to disc, the shape of the light showed up as a white circle. I turned it to cylinder, and a cylinder showed up, rectangle which changed to a rectangle, and I was able to see the lighting change on the character. I even changed the scale and made it look great. Then I went to move the character, clicked back on the light and all I saw were the beams coming out of the spotlight itself without the cylinder showing anymore. I added in a new spotlight and changed that to sphere, but nothing happened, the sphere didn't show up this time, it just looks like the point option. Up until that moment, any time I changed it from point to sphere or something, I just assumed it was doing something, but I never actually saw it make any change so this got me really excited. 

I wish I could take a photo to show you guys what I'm talking about to help, but sadly I can't get it to show again. Same with the linear point light, earlier this week I was able to see a grid around the whole light that I could adjust to show what the light was ecompassing and now I can't get that back. 

I'm sure there's one simple button I don't know I need to press, so any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Bennie

Comments

• I figured out what I did for the spotlight, I had it in Nvidia mode instead of texture shaded. If no one's noticed this as an option, it's really helpful and feels more like you're on a film set because you can see the lights. I don't know how many of you all are filmmakers, but this is going to make lighting so much easier on my end. 

Now if I can just figure out what I did to get the linear point light grid to show the scope.