Base figure havoc :/

Hello, about 3 weeks ago, I think I broke my Génesis 2 Female base figure, by mistake, while saving some Genesis 3 hairs as "figure/prop asset" for genesis 2 female. I am not sure what actually happened, but my guess is that I had G2F selected instead of the hair prop, when saving the support asset (saving was very long, much longer than for a hair prop). The hair was used on a custom figure when it happened, and now it seems a part of the morphs from that figure are applied to the base G2F whenever I load it. I put a screencapture so that you can see what I mean, right is the "broken" G2F base, left is the same base after I clicked "zero figure".

What I don't understand is : 1° I saved the new "thing" into a hair folder, with a hair prop name ("XYZ"hairG2F, aside the original hair), so I don't understand how it can overwrite the core G2F files. 2° There aren't any morphs with a non-zero default value involved, I didn't save any morphs at all (I save all my chars as scene subsets). 3° Now it breaks most of my custom characters, but not all of them Oo; some are totally unaffected, although they're based on G2F just like all others, which is really, really weird Oo. And those that are affected, the morphs modification is not "fixed", but variable, it will deform some a LOT, and some others, just a little bit (it seems the morphs sliders - Keiko 6 head, etc - don't indicate the "real" values anymore). 4° Resaving a clean and zeroed G2F base over the original one doesn't help, I still have the same issues with my characters, and even on very old scenes where I had some G2F base unmorphed.

Today, i've reinstalled the G2F Starter Essentials, to see if it would help, not only it didn't, but it "broke" again the the base G2F, just like it was after the problem in the first place (I mean, it overwrite the "repaired" unmorphed base G2F with the morphed one Oo).

I've really no clue how to solve this problem. I've searched and deleted all files that were created/modified the day it happened, into \data and temp \roaming directories, so there must be a &@§#! remnant file somewhere, but I am completely unable to locate it.

G2Fbase-morphs.PNG
764 x 918 - 322K

Comments

• If you did save as an asset then all the morpsh currently on the figuer (zeroed or otherwise) get saved as morph assets, and may get saved with a non-zero value. You need to find the non-zero morph and either delete its .dsf file or reset its value to 0 and save as a morph asset. The .dsf file will have the same name as the morph itself, which you can access via the Parameter Settings dialogue through the gear icon on the slider.

• NaviNavi Posts: 443
    edited October 2018

Thank you for the help Richard, but there are a few things I prefer to ask before doing more mistakes : You say it's the morphs themselves that got corrupted somehow, and need to be replaced, right ? All of them do load with non-zero values indeed (there are about 12-15 morphs loading with G2F on my broken figure, I think. For some reasons, some are not showing in "currently used" and need to find manually), but none of them do have these values as default, that's why I prefer to ask you :)  (example with the Keiko 6 body morphs as an attachement, loads at 0.86 but still has 0 as default value).

So, if I understand, I can simply delete all those morphs, and then reinstall fresh versions from the store installers, right ? That I can do easily, I just need to make sure I've got all the installers/zips under hand, will try that tomorrow and let you you. Thanks again !

G2Fmorphs-problem-popup.PNG
    352 x 451 - 49K
    Post edited by Navi on
  • Note that the Raw Value for Keiko is 0, it's not the morph itself that is doing this but another property that is controlling it. Check the Controllers tab at the bottom of the dialogue - one of those is to blame, or is being driven by another property in its turn.

Great info, now I think I understand a little more what is happening :) : Under controller there is keiko 6 (as "People"), and it has raw/default values with non-zero indeed (although that one can't be seen under the "currently used" category, that's why I didn't notice this before).

Thanks a lot again ! Now at least I understand why the problem didn't vanish before. I'll do some cleanup into morphs tomorrow when I've got all installers ready to replace files, and there should be some progress.

G2Fmorphs-problem-popup2.PNG
    344 x 452 - 45K
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited October 2018

Yeah the character shape controllers like Victoria 7 don't show up in currently used but their "sub components" makes it a bit harder to resolve those issues.

@ Navi

Before you do more than you need I mean deleting all those *.duf files and install the products again, first I would try with the figure selected Edit > Figure > Zero > Zero Figure... Memorize Figure... Clear Figure in this order, then use File > Save As > Support Asset > Save Modified Assets. I think this will be faster and sets all values back to zero, then all gets by default zero and with clear you delete any keyframes from the timeline, helped me before but be careful with Save Modified Assets its not always doing what you want. Also there might be properties that should be set to something else than zero by default.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on

Ok, a huge thanks to you Richard, you saved my collection of custom chars :) , I didn't figure out these were the morphs themselves that got corrupted, was looking for a file that didn't exist, before reading your answers. Since it was hard to tell which morphs package some of the morphs were coming from (ie. the Thorne/Handspanstudio packs, there are 3 but it was very hard to tell which one was involved), I made the healing the "fast way", did a complete reset on a base G2F (and checking all controllers etc), setting all default to zero, and then saved as a support asset, in place of the current G2F base. Since it was able to break it in the first place, I thought it should work in the other way, and yes it did :) .

Huge thanks again !

Yeah the character shape controllers like Victoria 7 don't show up in currently used but their "sub components" makes it a bit harder to resolve those issues.

@ Navi

Before you do more than you need I mean deleting all those *.duf files and install the products again, first I would try with the figure selected Edit > Figure > Zero > Zero Figure... Memorize Figure... Clear Figure in this order, then use File > Save As > Support Asset > Save Modified Assets. I think this will be faster and sets all values back to zero, then all gets by default zero and with clear you delete any keyframes from the timeline, helped me before but be careful with Save Modified Assets its not always doing what you want. Also there might be properties that should be set to something else than zero by default.

Thank you you for the tip Syrus_Dante :) , that's what I ended up doing in fact. I did before, but without checking the default values into parameters, that's why it didn't work the previous time. Here I had planned to have all installers ready, and then extract *just* the morphs files needed, to avoid reinstalling everything, but the other method was much faster :) .

And yes, that problem is a good illustration of the fact that you must be very careful when saving support asset. When my problem happened, I remember I was distracted, playing Diablo 3 more or less in the same time on the console lol, and probably didn't pay attention that G2F was selected instead of the hair prop surprise