Motion Builder and Daz: A solution.

Hi. I often read the problems that you have with animations in Motion Builder to return them to Daz Studio.
Let's say it clearly: It is impossible, due to the peculiar behavior of the interpreter of Daz, both bvh and fbx.
I've tried with free software, like Blender, or Bvhacker, and there's no way. The MoBu bvh is correct in other applications, but not in Daz.
All we need is the 3DXchange program from Realillusion (Those from iClone ..., which in this case we can ignore.)
With the animation of any well made Genesis in MoBu, which can have several takes, we open it in 3DXchange. Automatically, recognize the figure (with genesis 8 is the problem of your A-pose, but we can create a clone in T-pose), and take them, and export them as bvh. And it's already solved!
We open Daz and the model we apply unlock all bones. You can try with limits off, but I think it is not necessary.
Next, we import the bvh and remap the bones correctly. Save the map with a name, for example MobuPreset ..
And we accept the import.
And nothing else, except to be able to enjoy your work. laugh

Comments

• Ah! In 3DXchange, select hip as root bone..of course!

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,761

Full Disclosure :I am a Reallusion Iclone pro /3DXchange pipeline user.

However, if you already have an Autodesk motionbuilder subscription,
    you have ZERO need for any of the Reallusion Software for Character animation creation retargeting.

First make sure you are using Daz studio 4.10 or higher

Import ,Characterize & animate the original Daz Genesis1 figure
    in motionbuilder
    ( it should be in your Daz product library if not installed already.)

Export BVH to Daz studio apply to Genesis 1.

Follow the easy instuctions this thread,(linked below) to retarget to G3/G8 natively within Daz studio without spending one bloody dime at Reallusion.wink

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3675321/

• It may be true, Wolf ... But who has bought a license for Motion Builder and Maya, I do not think that by paying for another program they are going to ruin ... In my case, I need a very precise animation since I make product simulation videos such as architecture, interior decoration, textile manufacturers, etc ... I pay a lot of money in software - mainly Autodesk and Adobe ..-, but I take out profitability. (At the moment..LOL) If I need a mocap, the subcontract, especially when you must interact with objects paqueños.Me avoids expenses of sets, actors, makeup, etc. and I can always reuse them. (the animations ..) Mixamo, Truebones, etc ... is a solution for hobbyists, and can be valid for banal things or video game apprentices ... If you notice, almost all their bvh are of fights, people shooting, etc. , which does not interest me at all .. I only use Daz for its characters, given its quality and the possibility of an easy change of typology. I have never considered doing animation in Daz. It's just a comment for people who want to use Daz in a more advanced way. For example, I tried iClone, and it seemed pretty lazy. I stayed with 3DXchange for some animations that are coming out in iMotion format. And, normally, retargeting has errors. I already tried the case of genesis 1, and, truthfully, it does not satisfy me ...

Anyway, I'm surprised at how many people use MoBu for Daz!

It smells a lot of warez ..devil

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,761

It may be true, Wolf ... But who has bought a license for Motion Builder and Maya, I do not think that by paying for another program they are going to ruin ... In my case, I need a very precise animation since I make product simulation videos such as architecture, interior decoration, textile manufacturers, etc ... I pay a lot of money in software - mainly Autodesk and Adobe ..-, but I take out profitability. 

the ovewhelming majority of the users here are hobbyists
    who will not pay for an autodesk subscription or buy an Iclone pro pipeline license just to import motion to Genesis 8 for use in Daz studio. 
    And the one user I know here who uses motionbuilder( Bryan Steagle) Already knows who to Characterize Genesis 3/8 in MOBU without using 3Dxchange from reallusion.  

I do understand why you reccomend 3Dxchange
    as it  has built in one click Characterization profiles for every Daz genesis figure from 1-3 as well as any Standard may Human IK rig

as far as the Daz  BVH importer being "impossible that seems to have been largely resolved
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2918266/

I already tried the case of genesis 1, and, truthfully, it does not satisfy me ...

It is the simplest solution for the average Daz hobbyist who can only afford Daz studio because genesis1 is compatible with most of the BVH from the last decade and can retarget to G3/G8 without any external applications.

• I do not mean to characterize in 3dxchange..is just to make the bvh from MoBu to Daz compatible. Anyway, I use Daz to simulate dynamic clothing on Manuel Bastioni models from Blender. What I do is useful for me, and it does not depend on commercial license. I only use the skeleton via "Transfer Utility" and shareCG free clothes, I do not need "princesses, knights, or superheroes" .. wink.
    I recommend you try the M Bastion at http://www.manuelbastioni.com/gallery.php

See you, and happy for yours comments. (sorry for the lag delay..I´m living in Spain..)