Mouse Wheel No Longer Zooms

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

For some reason the scroll wheel on my mouse no longer zooms in Hexagon. Resetting the presets to default does not correct this. Any idea what gives?

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

For some reason the scroll wheel on my mouse no longer zooms in Hexagon. Resetting the presets to default does not correct this. Any idea what gives?

When I encounter bizarre problems like this with any software, the first thing I do is reboot my computer. And although very rare, I've even had to shut down and unplug a computer to clear a glitch.
    If the problem with Hexagon remains, then perhaps Hex itself has become corrupted in some way, and a reinstall is in order.
    Sometimes the preferences file can also become corrupted, and deleting it can clear up some problems.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I'm nervous about re-installing Hexagon. It was hard enough to get the software up and running the first time I installed I'm rather hesitant about touching it. But I guess I'll give it a try.

I really wish Daz would bring out a Hexagon 3 that runs on 64 bit machines and has modern features. It's almost unscrupulous to sell a program this buggy.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I'm nervous about re-installing Hexagon. It was hard enough to get the software up and running the first time I installed I'm rather hesitant about touching it. But I guess I'll give it a try.

I really wish Daz would bring out a Hexagon 3 that runs on 64 bit machines and has modern features. It's almost unscrupulous to sell a program this buggy.

You didn't mention which operating system you're using. I've used both Windows and Mac OS, I'm currently using a Mac. I've found uninstalling and reinstalling to be slightly more problematic on Windows, primarily due to the registry. Registry problems can cause weird glitches same as preference file corruption on the Mac, but are more complicated to fix if you're not comfortable using the registry editor.

I think the biggest problem with Hexagon has to do with graphics card and openGL compatibility. A graphics card software update could cause trouble for a Hexagon installation.

I don't know if we'll ever see Hexagon 3, but people have been saying Hex is dead for years now. Even after DAZ worked on it a while back and made it work on the Mac OS again, after years of having to use funky work-arounds. So I'm not counting it out yet.

Even with all of its issues it's still my go-to modeling software. I've just learned to tip toe around while using it, and save often and incrementally.

Good luck with solving your mouse wheel problem.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Sounds like a delightful excuse, oops, I mean reason to go and buy a new mouse! Got a nice lavender pink one today hehehe ...

Seriously though, on W7 it's better to install some of these older programs "outside" of the program folder ... right-click on installer and "run as admin" .... and while there are a couple of such type programs, the one I could find quickly is this one, Large Address Aware.
    It helps 32 bit programs make some better use of the 64 bit computers. Page for info and scroll down for link to zip file.