Genesis - How do I change the UV maps in Carrara (to accept V4/M4/V5 etc)

JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So I'm playing around with Genesis for the first time really, and it's kind of neat, I'm starting to see some of the appeal, but then I went to add some shaders (the included BTL ones) and right away I see that the V5 shader I applied isn't fitting right (white seams everywhere).

I know that genesis is supposed to be able to fit the textures of V4/M4/V5 etc but I have no idea how to change the figure so that it's UV map is for the right texture I'm applying. Where/how do I do this?

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

You need to use the character presets. Carrara can't change UV mapping on an existing Genesis figure. (Unless they've changed it since beta)

If I remember correctly:
    Basic Male = M4
    Basic Female = V4
    Basic Child = K4

And of course M5, V5, The Troll, etc.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Thanks Araneldon :) Where do I find these character presets I wonder? (starting to search through the various runtimes of downloaded stuff...)

edited December 1969

They should be somewhere close to the Genesis base thingie, can't tell you exactly where to look because I don't have Genesis installed.

edited December 1969

Dang I'm coming up with nothing, but I'll keep searching. :(

edited August 2013

Ok, found it. It was cleverly hidden in front of my eyes. ;)

For any others who don't know, it was in the My Library runtime, in People, in Genesis, in Characters. I was looking at all the folders inside of Characters instead of the Characters folder itself.

Thanks, Araneldon, you're the man :)

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited August 2013

Silly me, I could just look inside the ZIP.

I don't use smart content, but if you go the old fashioned way and look in the Content tab,
    you should find something like this:

../People/Genesis/Characters/Basic Child
    etc.

Edit: Okay you got it, good :)

Post edited by araneldon on
  • DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

It isn't character presets that change the UV set (well they can, but that is inefficient since it will also change your morph) Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) presets can change UV maps just fine. In fact you can create Material(s) Presets in Studio whose only purpose is to change the UV set.

All you have to do is load Genesis in DAZ Studio open the Surfaces Pane and set the UV you want. Go to File-->Save As-->Material(s) Preset. Make sure you save information for all surfaces. Expand each surface and uncheck every channel except for the UV channel.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    It isn't character presets that change the UV set (well they can, but that is inefficient since it will also change your morph) Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) presets can change UV maps just fine. In fact you can create Material(s) Presets in Studio whose only purpose is to change the UV set.

All you have to do is load Genesis in DAZ Studio open the Surfaces Pane and set the UV you want. Go to File-->Save As-->Material(s) Preset. Make sure you save information for all surfaces. Expand each surface and uncheck every channel except for the UV channel.

Jared, does that mean there isn't a way to do this in Carrara? If not, what are the next steps to get back to Carrara?

( Hope you don't mind me asking here, Jonstark, rather than starting another thread)

edited December 1969

Currently there isn't a way to do that in Carrara. You'd have to do it in DAZ Studio. I guess the first thing you'd need to do when you save the Material(s) Preset is make sure that you know where you saved the preset. Ideally you would save the material preset in the same location as your other Carrara content, that would make it easier to load in Carrara. However you can always use Carrara's import function to import the material preset if you can't load it through the browser.

edited December 1969

Cbird said:

Jared, does that mean there isn't a way to do this in Carrara? If not, what are the next steps to get back to Carrara?

( Hope you don't mind me asking here, Jonstark, rather than starting another thread)

Not at all, Cbird, that was going to be my next question to Jared anyway. Because I loathe working in Studio, even for little things, and I don't know how to do it, so we need a solution that we know is going to work in Carrara.

So Jared, I want the simplest solution possible (preferably not using Studio, if it can be done). If I have to go into Studio and figure out how to select the figure and where the materials tab might be and figure out how to save the material in a place where I can find it in the Carrara runtime, so be it.

But... correct me if I'm wrong, but what's to stop me using the presets for Basic Female (V4 ready for textures), Basic Male (M4), V5 or M5, loading them directly from my Carrara browser, and simply undoing the morph slider. Wouldn't that still work, and yield a basic Genesis shape that is UV-ed for the right character type and then I can slide other morphs to get other shapes?

For example, say I wanted to use one of my V4 texture sets. I load the Basic Female Genesis character, which is already set for V4 textures. Then I go to the parameters tab and unslide the morph for Basic Female. Now I'm left with a standard Genesis shape, but the V4 textures work just as well. Then I go to the parameters tab and do whatever morph sliding I want, and no matter what shape I morph to, I should still have no seams, right?

I'm a babe in the woods with this Genesis stuff, but wouldn't that work just as well?

(I just want to avoid Studio if I can, but I suspect it will be a moot point once I start delving into GenX and the Corrected V4 UV for Genesis as I suspect both tools are going to force me to figure out some things in Studio)

edited December 1969

Like I said, you can use those. What I'm suggesting is a way that you can change just the UV map and nothing else. Obviously that isn't necessary. You can use existing presets to change the UV map.

edited December 1969

Cool, I just wanted to make sure I understood the process and wasn't missing something.

There is probably some merit to taking the time/trouble to put together the different UV material zones in Studio to apply them to any genesis at any time (go to a bit more trouble now to make life easier for all those future instances) but I just wanted to make sure the way I was thinking it could work would actually work.

Thanks Jared :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Currently there isn't a way to do that in Carrara. You'd have to do it in DAZ Studio. I guess the first thing you'd need to do when you save the Material(s) Preset is make sure that you know where you saved the preset. Ideally you would save the material preset in the same location as your other Carrara content, that would make it easier to load in Carrara. However you can always use Carrara's import function to import the material preset if you can't load it through the browser.

Could DAZ make these available as part of the standard package, at least for say V4 and M4? That sounds like a useful and easy to do addition to me.

edited December 1969

Philw, there you are! I started a thread about the Carrara Portrait Studio but it's slipped down the page :( You might want to add a few of your excellent renders. I'm loving it so far, best purchase I've made in years :) (I know it's off topic but I just had to say... )

It does seem like a fairly simple and common sense thing to add the UV maps for the various figure types as material presets for Carrara users as a standard part of what's included with 8.5. Maybe someone at Daz could whip that up? I think it would make it easier for new users of Genesis to stumble their way around :) Just a thought.

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited August 2013

Jonstark said:
    Philw, there you are! I started a thread about the Carrara Portrait Studio but it's slipped down the page :( You might want to add a few of your excellent renders. I'm loving it so far, best purchase I've made in years :) (I know it's off topic but I just had to say... )

It does seem like a fairly simple and common sense thing to add the UV maps for the various figure types as material presets for Carrara users as a standard part of what's included with 8.5. Maybe someone at Daz could whip that up? I think it would make it easier for new users of Genesis to stumble their way around :) Just a thought.

DAZ Already has that for you.

Genesis starts with V4. Under People\Genesis\Materials is Material presets for Child, Jeremy and Lana, which are K4, M4 and V4's UV sets. There are also sub folders for M5, V5, David 5, Freak 5, etc. In each of those is a Material Preset, which will set the UV sets for you to those UV sets.

Under Genesis 2 Female you also have a Material folder which has presets that will change the UV sets for Genesis 2 Female. (V6, Gia, Girl 6, V4, etc.)

Now I will note that you can not apply V4's shaders directly to Genesis or Genesis 2 Female as the Material zones are different and in a different order and Carrara uses the index of the material zones not the Material Zone names. You also can not apply a V4 shader to V4 if that V4 is brought in from a DAZ Studio scene as part of a DUF.

Post edited by BTLProd on
    edited December 1969

Hi BTL, thanks for the heads up, didn't realize that (most) of what I needed was already there, thanks for steering me :)

However, I just purchased the 'Corrected V4 UV for Genesis' product, and while I can see it would be easily applied in Studio, I'm not sure how to get it into Carrara.

I'm thinking that I would open a standard Studio Scene, make sure that Genesis is selected in the Scene tab, then select the Surfaces tab and select Genesis again, scroll down to the UV Set drop down and select 'Victoria 4 Corrected'

Then I would select the 'Content Library' Tab and navigate from Daz Studio Formats/ My Library / People / Genesis / Materials, then use the little + sign to add a new Material preset and name it whatever (Corrected V4 UV maybe).

Once I've saved it there, if I'm understanding correctly I should then be able to open Carrara, and after updating my runtimes I should be able to navigate to where I saved the material preset, then load a Genesis, select the 'actor' portion, and drag the material preset over it.

If I'm right then that should give me the corrected V4 UV to my Carrara genesis, am I right about this? Or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Hi BTL, thanks for the heads up, didn't realize that (most) of what I needed was already there, thanks for steering me :)

However, I just purchased the 'Corrected V4 UV for Genesis' product, and while I can see it would be easily applied in Studio, I'm not sure how to get it into Carrara.

I'm thinking that I would open a standard Studio Scene, make sure that Genesis is selected in the Scene tab, then select the Surfaces tab and select Genesis again, scroll down to the UV Set drop down and select 'Victoria 4 Corrected'

Then I would select the 'Content Library' Tab and navigate from Daz Studio Formats/ My Library / People / Genesis / Materials, then use the little + sign to add a new Material preset and name it whatever (Corrected V4 UV maybe).

Once I've saved it there, if I'm understanding correctly I should then be able to open Carrara, and after updating my runtimes I should be able to navigate to where I saved the material preset, then load a Genesis, select the 'actor' portion, and drag the material preset over it.

If I'm right then that should give me the corrected V4 UV to my Carrara genesis, am I right about this? Or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding.

Save as Material Preset should work as well.