How to install the new carrara if your having problems

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Ok.. so after hours of figuring things out I found some steps that seem fairly reliable to install Carrara 8.5 if your having problems.

1. go into install manager.
2. Select the installed tab.
3. Filter by Carrara.
4. Uninstall everything.
5. Left-click on the gear in the top right of install manager to open the settings.
6. Select Applications.
7. Select everything that has Carrara (32bit, 64bit, rendernodes, etc) and select the little - button at the bottom to remove the path.
8. Apply these changes.
9. Open Control Panel.
10. Go to Uninstall Programs.
11. Uninstall any Carrara programs you have installed.
12. Go back to Install Manager.
13. Select the core Carrara 8.5 to install (whichever ones you want, and the render nodes if you want them)
14. Let them install.
15. After the install of Carrara 8.5 has finished, now select all the Carrara Content.
16. Have all the Carrara content install.

Your Carrara will now be installed and the content will be in the correct folder. It seems that some of the paths to old beta installs are not removed properly.. and I've been in the beta since the beginning. It took removing Carrara completely and doing a clean install to get it to work.

If you have any custom folders and content in your old Carrara 8 folder you can now copy them to the new Carrara8.5 folder and add the folder in content manager.

Boojum the brown bunny

Comments

• HIMMAGESHIMMAGES Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the effort you put into this! I just find it humorous that is was needed. But im glad you did it.

• edited December 1969

I wish it wasn't needed to, believe me. I spent hours trying to figure out why my content wasn't arriving in the correct place. Some of them weren't arriving in the right spot because of the way earlier 8.5 beta install before DIM. It had some paths that were used for some things. Then the old Carrara 8 paths in DIM got used for some other things. I suspect that everything doesn't check paths and fall back in the same order, resulting in the confusion.

Boojum the brown bunny