Parenting hair Without auto-resizing

I am trying to use a long hair on a character which has been tweaked in age with Growing Up. However, since just fitting the hair would cause distorsion (no protective morph in the hair), Zev hinted to me a long while ago that simply parenting the hair and using a smoothing modifier would do nicely. The only issue I have is that the hair gets aut-resized when I parent it to G8F's head. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

It should not auto resize just from parenting to the head. Are you autofitting it instead? Maybe turn smoothing off? 

I can try when I get home later. What hair are you using and what age is the character dialed back to?

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited September 2018

I am trying to use a long hair on a character which has been tweaked in age with Growing Up. However, since just fitting the hair would cause distorsion (no protective morph in the hair), Zev hinted to me a long while ago that simply parenting the hair and using a smoothing modifier would do nicely. The only issue I have is that the hair gets aut-resized when I parent it to G8F's head. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

This is happening to me too I'll bring in a hair model in, Top Model hair, for G3F to use on G8F, parent it the selected figure, and then DS will autofit the hair whether I want to or not. Maybe I'm missing a step somewhere along the line?

Post edited by Philippi_Child on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

If you have placed the hair exactly where you want it, try using the "parent in place" option instead of allowing Studio to move it. It could be that it isn't actually "fitting it", but when it goes to move the hair during the parenting the origins of the figure and the hair are not the same; so it's getting moved strangely for you.

• @Llynara: The hair I use is G3F hair Leyton. The character is a G8F dialed to age 14 thanks to Growing Up and the Pure Age presets by Aliveshecried @ Rosity. The use of Growing Up makes the hair strands go angulous in many places if you use the "Fit To" option, that's why I tried to do a "Parent To" of that hair to G8F's head instead.

@PaganArtist: Well, I'm glad to see I am not the only one. This proves there's definitely something going on!

@JonnyRay: Using "Parent in Place" seems to parent the hair to... the world. Even if I select the girl's head as a parenting point. So I might be missing a point.

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited September 2018

Okay this is what I did

1. Bring your G8F into the scene

2. Click somewhere in the scene to deselect G8F.

3. Bring the hair model in and select it the hair will sit in place on the head no need to move it.

4. Right click on the hair ONLY, and not G8F for this to work, a drop box appears.

5. Select the parent in place option DO NOT select a body part like the head and then try to parent in place DS will try to autofit.

6. Voolah! The hair is parented to the figure.

To check to see if the hair is parented try moving the head in differnt directions and if the hair stays in place it's been parented and the morphs will still work.

The key is to not to have any part of the figure selected just the hair for the parenting to work.

I hope these instructions are clear I'm not a good technical writer wink

Post edited by Philippi_Child on
  • The way I do it is to bring the G8F into the scene, then go into the Scene tab and expand the tree enough to see her head bone.

Then click on the background so nothing is selected and bring in the hair model. Click on it on the scene tab and drag it onto the G8F's head bone - that parents it (and shouldn't scale it). You'll then have to manually move and scale it to fit the head.

Having said all that, have you tried using this method to fit G3F hair to G8Fs?: https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065 Look for the section on hair halfway down the page.