multiple GPUs

Hello, I have no clue about these things so here my question:

my system is win7/16GB

Now I´m working for 3 years fine with an Nvidia GTX960(4GB) but reach the borderline more and more (crashes, white screens, blue screens...).

I decided to buy the GTX1080Ti(11GB) and increase my RAM to 32GB.

Is it possible to work with both of them and make it sense and will Iray work faster than? If so, will my PC know about two GPUs or have I tick anywhere?

Thanks in advance, Anja

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited September 2018

See attached. Be aware that the GTX960 won't be used for any renders that exceed the 4GB Vram. Also since the 960 is an older generation, has relatively few CUDA cores, relatively low VRAM, you may be better off to have the 960 power the monitor and and not include in the renders, The 1080TI will be so much faster that you will probably not be able to see any improvement with bith GPUs. Finally, Iray may throttle the clock speed on the 1080Ti to match the slower 960.

Capture.PNG
    668 x 1030 - 61K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    My first concern would be the white screen/blue screen/crashes. That shouldnt happen. You might want to download Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of all traces of the old driver and re-install the new. And if it was me Id first check the W10 Reliability History,and maybe the Iray log to see whats going on. Or as fastbike1 said, just remove the old GTX960 and use only the 1080ti. I'm guessing the 960 takes 3 times as long as a 1080ti to render a scene (6 min vs 2 min), so it might not be helping much.
  • Many thanks to ebergerly and fastbike1! That is helpful, I will use just the new one if I will get it. I was asking because I've read so often that people use two or more GPUs together.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@ebergerly " Id first check the W10 Reliability History,"

Shouldn't be applicable, @Enchanted April is running Win 7.