Setting a minimum standard for New Persons

Hello,

I don't know how YOU use your G3 and G8 actors but I think there is a whole lot of users (CLIENTS for you artists) who love getting the actours OUT of the celan photostudio and straight into the action! Spy stories, brawls, epic battles, survival e.t.c.

Live would be so much better for us (and our artwork so much better) if Characters (sold for.... let's say more than 19$) had as a STANDARD some somehow "battered" looks:

My proposition, besides the standard skin: 1 skin sunburned, 1 skin after a brawl, 1 skin after a week out in the nature without shower.....

I know there are products like skin doctor. The problem - if you try to create a group of caracters making their way through a swamp.... they end up looking all the same - (same splatters at the same places)....

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

But are you willing to pay 2 or 3 times the price to get all those extras?

• It's dangerous to assume that the way you (or I) use Daz is the way that everybody uses it. You want roughed up textures for outdoor types, other people want 101 make-up options for the perfect photo shoot, other people want tattoos, etc. etc. Trying to please everybody would take hours of work and make each figure cost $100s.

Better to sell basic figures, and also sell add on products that add the additional features that suit your particular taste.

Btw, if you want unique swamp splatters, and maybe some of your other things too, I suggest https://www.daz3d.com/a-touch-of-dirt-for-iray

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited September 2018

.... other people want 101 make-up options for the perfect photo shoot.....

well, thats somewhat the way it actually is - right? Characters do come with at least a dozen make-up options each...... actually, one can get surprised by the fact that the person he want to buy has no "gens" option at all - but I don't remember having seen a person (I am working with G3&G8) without at least 12 make-up options.

No offence, just saying!  ;-)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited September 2018
    barbult said:

...pay 2 or 3 times the price to get all those extras...

Yes, I am ready to pay more! ..... but allow me to ask how the process of "roughing up" a existing skin (for all characters do come with a skin, right?) will double or triple the price of the ENTIRE creation? I do in fact NOT know how to create DAZ a person - but I do doubt that 90% of the work is creating the skin.

edited September 2018

Thanks a lot! Useful indeed!

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    barbult said:

...pay 2 or 3 times the price to get all those extras...

Yes, I am ready to pay more! ..... but allow me to ask how the process of "roughing up" a existing skin (for all characters do come with a skin, right?) will double or triple the price of the ENTIRE creation? I do in fact NOT know how to create DAZ a person - but I do doubt that 90% of the work is creating the skin.

It takes a lot longer than you think. Try making a new and unusual texture different enough to be attention grabbing yet detailed enough to be interesting. Before dictating how things should be, please try your hand at it. I welcome anyone who has new ideas for products but, don't go making all of our new characters more expensive for your needs. If I want a suntan, there's a product for that that will help me make any character tan. If I want my character dirty, the same. If I want them beaten up, the same. Cool? :)
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited September 2018

The problem is that art takes time; folks so often don't want to pay for it.

I have a friend who does commissions; he spends days doing them (becasue he enjoys it), and gets paid a comparative pittance. He tried to make a living at it, but folks wouldn't pay for his time, because they thought and often said, "but it's easy, only takes a few minutes".

What I mean is, whilst you say you're willing to pay; many are not.

Edit:

Personally, what you mean is not standard, but content.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I certainly would not considered "battered" or "sunburnt" as standard, and i would not want to have to pay for those features on every character I buy. An alternative suggestion would be for a vendor to create overlays for textures to add these features easily to existing skins and sell this as an addon for all skin textures. I guess the difficulty would be that a red mark due to a slapped face would need to be different for different skin types. Perhaps a clever PA could come up with a solution for that.

• I certainly would not considered "battered" or "sunburnt" as standard, and i would not want to have to pay for those features on every character I buy. An alternative suggestion would be for a vendor to create overlays for textures to add these features easily to existing skins and sell this as an addon for all skin textures. I guess the difficulty would be that a red mark due to a slapped face would need to be different for different skin types. Perhaps a clever PA could come up with a solution for that.

A good solution to that is include them as extra options in the many named characters for sale.. Why else do we name them unless they are meant to represent individual character sets with options to expand the looks of each character...  Maybe what PA should be doing is instead of making 10 characters.. make 2 characters with 5 expansion sets.. Know what I mean?

• So, let me ask a quesiton based on this question, if I may.  I'm coming back after quite a while away from Poser/Studio (in fact, it'd be fair to say I have damned near no experience with Studio so far, really).  Back in the olden days, in Poser, this was pretty easy - you grab the texture maps, paint in the sunburn or tattoo or dirt or bruises, etc. in photoshop / what have you, and re-import them to render.

Is that a lot more difficult to do now?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2018

So, let me ask a quesiton based on this question, if I may.  I'm coming back after quite a while away from Poser/Studio (in fact, it'd be fair to say I have damned near no experience with Studio so far, really).  Back in the olden days, in Poser, this was pretty easy - you grab the texture maps, paint in the sunburn or tattoo or dirt or bruises, etc. in photoshop / what have you, and re-import them to render.

Is that a lot more difficult to do now?

I think it is actually easier now   DS has things like LIE layers which can be used within the program.  so make a LIE layer in photoshop (Other paint program are avalable) for your tattoo or whatever and apply it in DS as a LIE layer.  no need to keep altering the original texture.   Also Geoshells which are a copy of your figure just a tiny tad bigger makes lots of thing easier to do like adding dirt or sand or things like thaat.

Post edited by Chohole on