What care should I take when making renders commission?

Hello. First sorry if the question is in the wrong place, but I did not find any sub-forum that seemed appropriate for me to ask this kind of question, so I decided to do it here.

I would like to know what care I should take when purchasing renders for use in commercial projects (in this case, a game project for Patreon). I think the most common problems are:

1. the person who made the renders uses free material whose author does not necessarily permit commercial use
2. the person uses assets from other stores that may have other terms of use
3. The person simply uses pirated assets

Should I trust the good faith of who is selling me the renders? I know some assets are simple to check and I can simply ask for proof that the guy is allowed to use them, but in the case where the guy is using some shader, texture, etc., subtle things that are impossible to detect analyzing the images?

I've come to the conclusion that the "safest" way would be to ask for the list of all the assets the guy uses and buy them myself in my account. But that would take away the reason for me to make the renders commission in the first place...

Thank you.

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Have a contract (and THAT is a non-starter) with a clause clearly stating the artist has full liability for the assets used, and they legally own the assets.