Issue with Collision?

I've used Daz on and off for a few years now, but i finally decided to break away from stil images and start tinkering with animations. Practicing with just a simple turntable, I rendered this (link below) only to find what looks like flickering collision. However, it doesn't appear in still images, just videos. I haven't had any luck fixing this. Even re-posing the arms yields no results. Can anyone help? The figure is Genesis and it's lit with two Iray spotlights. 

Also, if you guys have any tips on speeding up renders on Iray, I'd love to hear. Solutions I've seen on the internet haven't helped at all. I'm running on 32GB of ram. This 750x750 pixel video at 30fps (180 in total) took 16 hours to render! :( 

Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1In2c9hucLDWcKKaWQm79lO0ueMpVa29o

Comments

• Does it show in preview if you just step through the frames? Are you sure there's only one figure loaded?

• Yes, it is the only figure. I reloaded the scene and just that seemed to help a little bit. Going through the preview, there are a few frames with the issue. Although it doesn't seem to be as many frames than the video posted. 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2018

I've had those kinds of issues with smoothing when rendering animations, especially with some hair and tight clothing. You can get away with a large amount of smoothing when composing still images, but that is not the case when doing animations. Best thing you can do is to learn how to fit items without having to apply a lot of smoothing to make them fit properly. (Making your own fit morphs for example). That way you can use the smoothing modifyer without collision if needed. Fit control is highly recommended=)

Less smoothing also speeds up the rendering process, as less calculations are needed/frame. As for fast rendering with IRay, there are a number of threads, do a google search. I use 3DL, so don't know the ins and outs of IRay, but one tip I've seen ,in the render settings pane for IRay, set the max path length to 2 or 3, instead of the default -1 (unlimited), should speed up things a bit;)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • I've had those kinds of issues with smoothing when rendering animations, especially with some hair and tight clothing. You can get away with a large amount of smoothing when composing still images, but that is not the case when doing animations. Best thing you can do is to learn how to fit items without having to apply a lot of smoothing to make them fit properly. (Making your own fit morphs for example). That way you can use the smoothing modifyer without collision if needed. Fit control is highly recommended=)

Less smoothing also speeds up the rendering process, as less calculations are needed/frame. As for fast rendering with IRay, there are a number of threads, do a google search. I use 3DL, so don't know the ins and outs of IRay, but one tip I've seen ,in the render settings pane for IRay, set the max path length to 2 or 3, instead of the default -1 (unlimited), should speed up things a bit;)

Thanks a lot for all the info! I didn't even think about smoothing. I am known for high smoothing dials. Definitely gonna have to tone that down. lol 

I just pulled up Fit Control in the shop, definitely gonna look into purchasing that. I didn't see one for Genesis, however.

• I've had those kinds of issues with smoothing when rendering animations, especially with some hair and tight clothing. You can get away with a large amount of smoothing when composing still images, but that is not the case when doing animations. Best thing you can do is to learn how to fit items without having to apply a lot of smoothing to make them fit properly. (Making your own fit morphs for example). That way you can use the smoothing modifyer without collision if needed. Fit control is highly recommended=)

Thanks a lot for all the info! I didn't even think about smoothing. I am known for high smoothing dials. Definitely gonna have to tone that down. lol 

I just pulled up Fit Control in the shop, definitely gonna look into purchasing that. I didn't see one for Genesis, however.

No problem! Here's fit control for Genesis: https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-and-genesis-2-female-s and https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-and-genesis-2-male-s