Controlling Translation in Assembly room

invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have used Carrara for years now,and it is one of my favorite applications..and is good therapy

but the other day while in the assembly room,i wanted to move an object,on a table and a question came to mind

Is there a way to control the increments when moving objects.....i tried holding shift,alt and control(i am on a pc) while using the translation tool.........of course nothing happen

sometimes i can get it when i zoom in close,in another view..but if there is another object close,it blocks the view

(example....having a wall in the left view and an object by the wall on a table..from left view,object will be on the other side of the wall..out of sight)

this is nothing critical or urgent..just wondering if it can be done...and how

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

hi you can use the little arrow things over under the motion tab on the right,
    for small increments just enter it numerically

there is a keyboard shortcut to nudge things? but it seems you've found it? I always forget what it is

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited August 2013

I am usually doing this with my cursor keys. But you have to have activated the normal "up/down" symbol (not the rotate and move) and the object marked.
    That's how it works for me (in 8.1... have to test this yet in 8.5)

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

head wax..i hope you remember lol because i have the manual open now and trying to find what i am looking for

Rhiana..that sounds similar to Hexagon

• invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I think i may have found it in the manual

"Nudging with the Keyboard
    You can use the keyboard to nudge objects or groups in small steps.
    To use the keyboard to nudge an object:

Press and hold the Command/Ctrl key, and then press the arrow keys to move the object in the active plane.

Press the Command/Ctrl and Option/Alt keys at the same time to move the object perpendicular to the active plane.

Press the Command/Ctrl and Shift keys at the same time to move in smaller steps."

also

To Constrain while moving

"Ctrl/Cmd+drag the arrow to move perpendicular to the desired axis

Hold down the Shift key to constrain the drag angle to increments of the rotation angle"

i have a habit of deleting manuals off my hard drive,and putting them on a backup dvd..it helps free up space,when you have lots of manuals

I have a stack of backup Dvd's ..with content on most of them..and manuals

thanx to all those who replied..i hope others will find this helpful

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

I think i may have found it in the manual

"Nudging with the Keyboard
    You can use the keyboard to nudge objects or groups in small steps.
    To use the keyboard to nudge an object:

Press and hold the Command/Ctrl key, and then press the arrow keys to move the object in the active plane.

Press the Command/Ctrl and Option/Alt keys at the same time to move the object perpendicular to the active plane.

Press the Command/Ctrl and Shift keys at the same time to move in smaller steps."

also

To Constrain while moving

"Ctrl/Cmd+drag the arrow to move perpendicular to the desired axis

Hold down the Shift key to constrain the drag angle to increments of the rotation angle"

i have a habit of deleting manuals off my hard drive,and putting them on a backup dvd..it helps free up space,when you have lots of manuals

I have a stack of backup Dvd's ..with content on most of them..and manuals

thanx to all those who replied..i hope others will find this helpful

that's it, glad you found it :)