Should I get the new RTX or 1080Ti is good solely for DS purposes?

Hey. 

I am sure this was discussed a lot of times, but honestly I couldn't find such discussion here. 

So, are those Tensor cores gonna affect rendering times and/or quality in any truly significant way, or should I better get that 1080Ti today without such devastating impact on my budget? 

I mean, I am sick and tired of trying to work with my 1060 6GB, and I guess 1080Ti will do much better, right? Should I expect 2080 to be MUCH better than that? 

Thanks and also thanks for your patience towards a non-native speaker :)

Comments

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
    edited September 2018

At this point in time it is way too early, it is always best to let the tech mature a bit before dumping a load of cash on a new RTX card.. The other thing is that Nvidia have yet to update iRay for the new cards and even then you will have to wait for Daz to implement it into Studio.. As of now it is very hard to advise on buying a 1080ti for multiple reasons..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • VadisVadis Posts: 15
    ghosty12 said:

As of now it is very hard to advise on buying a 1080ti for multiple reasons..

Thank you for the reply, but could you please elaborate on this point? Why would it be bad to upgrade to the 1080Ti? 

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 428
    edited September 2018

Based on the first results The difference in performance bewteen a 1080ti and the RX2080 is about 5% but the price difference is about 20%

The results on the 2080 cards heve been underwhelming if you ask me. Also one of the  main features is ray tracing which at this point is not supported by any games. (Im sure it will in the future)

I had a large discussion with my collegue about buying a 1080ti or waiting for the RX2080 he ended up getting a 1080ti what i think is a good decision. In my experience its best to wait for the RX3080 in a couple of years when everything is more crystalized. 

But you can wait 4 weeks to get all the results in of the people who bought it. But with the information and results that i have seen at this moment and i would have to make a decision, I would go for the 1080ti

Post edited by Mescalino on

Thanks Mescalino, my thoughts exactly. 

The only thing I'm afraid of is time... IDK if the 1080Ti prices will fall when 2080 are released in my region, and I should wait, or they will rise and I will be at loss... 

Or maybe the 2080 prices will be actually manageable and I'd end up with a more future-proof GPU... Ugh, decisions, decisions...

• I dont think the 1080Ti's will go up in price - they should, if anything, fall... or at worst stay the same.  

Definely hold on until the reviews are out for the 2080's.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

I suspect any drop in price of the 1000 series has already been factored in (at least partially) when the new cards were announced. I doubt there will be an overnight dramatic drop in the prices come release date.

Bear in mind that Iray has not been changed yet (at least not in any released version) to take advantage of the tensor or ray tracing cores. It could be a year or more until that happens, we do not know. We are also not certain that a 2000 card will work with Iray at all, without some changes to support it, but it may, assuming it uses all the normal apis etc in the same way as the older cards.

Jack, I should have stated that I'm from the Eastern Europe, here the retailers don't treat us as human beings lol.
    The prices here are completely overblown, the cheapest 1080Ti is currently being just under $1000, and it was over $1500 on the crypto-BS peak. 

I know it sounds illogical, but I won't be surprised at all if the retailers raise prices for the old gen specifically to profit on people like me who were waiting for the new gen and then were held back by its price, performance or whatever. 

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
    Vadis said:
    ghosty12 said:

As of now it is very hard to advise on buying a 1080ti for multiple reasons..

Thank you for the reply, but could you please elaborate on this point? Why would it be bad to upgrade to the 1080Ti? 

Basically I don't want to advise what you should do and it all goes pear shaped, and that if you do buy one you want to get your monies worth from the card which gets harder when you know that a new generation of cards is on the horizon..

And one last thing this is for everyone Nvidia have delayed the release of the new cards for another week so will be released on the 27th of September now..

• ghosty12 said:

And one last thing this is for everyone Nvidia have delayed the release of the new cards for another week so will be released on the 27th of September now..

This is only for the RX2080ti
    Source:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1071605/geforce-rtx-20-series/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-availability-update/post/5872088/#5872088

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    Regarding GPU prices dropping when new cards are introduced...check pcpartpicker's historical price trends for each GPU and you'll see prices don't drop.

Thanks guys, I think the most wise thing to do now would be wait for the 2080 release and then compare it with the 1080Ti and get what's hotter atm :) 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Vadis said:

Hey. 

I am sure this was discussed a lot of times, but honestly I couldn't find such discussion here. 

So, are those Tensor cores gonna affect rendering times and/or quality in any truly significant way, or should I better get that 1080Ti today without such devastating impact on my budget? 

I mean, I am sick and tired of trying to work with my 1060 6GB, and I guess 1080Ti will do much better, right? Should I expect 2080 to be MUCH better than that? 

Thanks and also thanks for your patience towards a non-native speaker :)

No one knows.

... Other than Nvidia.

Anyone claiming to know is (if not lieing), very misinformed.

There is, however, a caveat; only you can decide once specs are available for both cards for YOU to compare.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    If history is any indicator, any card that I purchase will soon be discontinued and the remaining inventory will double in price, thus preventing me from buying a second card to match. Happens every time. :/
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Kitsumo said:
    If history is any indicator, any card that I purchase will soon be discontinued and the remaining inventory will double in price, thus preventing me from buying a second card to match. Happens every time. :/

Probably best getting a new RTX card then, that just might break that cycle.

All joking aside - I would reccommend waiting to see what the RENDERING stats are for the new cards, which may not be known on release but could take weeks or months depending on how quickly Nvidia get out the drivers for IRAY; Daz were very quick implementing it for Studio when the 10 series cards came out - Nvidia were NOT.