Dex (DSON Exchange) plugin for Maya

13»

Comments

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 403

Is this still in development? 

• I assume it's been abandoned. With people chomping at the bit like they are for this, it would be as easy at it would be beneficial to give an update every now and then. But... nothing, for how many months?
  • I assume it's been abandoned. With people chomping at the bit like they are for this, it would be as easy at it would be beneficial to give an update every now and then. But... nothing, for how many months?

As far as I am aware that is not the case, it's certainly not a wise thing to assume (other than the fact that you have the potential for a pleasant surprise).

• DAZ_Rawb said:

Any news on time frame of when this plugin might be released ??

Some harder to kill bugs are currently being exterminated, but it is getting close.

Any update about this plugin? dev log? roadmap? anything?

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 614

I do have an update on the status of this plugin:

We have taken development in-house, the third party who originally started this had an excellent personal opportunity and wouldn't be able to dedicate the necessary time to complete the plugin so we now have our internal development staff working on it. Switching between development staff takes some time for them to get familiar with the code but they are making good progress on it now.

Additionally we have consulted with local artists that use Maya daily and have found some places where it is not operating in a way that is expected, so we are changing the way some of the internal node structures are built by the plugin to better work with typical Maya workflows.

I'm not sure when it will be released, but I can say that it isn't going to be released in the next month or two. After the initial release we do have further plans on how to enhance the plugin to bring more capabilities in so that more content can be fully supported.

Thank you for you excitement and for being so patient about the release of this plugin.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 9,565

Damn, I would pay good cash for something similar for Blender (yes I know  what is already available).

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 2,889
    edited February 2
    nicstt said:

Damn, I would pay good cash for something similar for Blender (yes I know  what is already available).

I will be using Blender 2.81 For my animation renders going forward. No third party plug-ins for me just straight FBX export from Daz Studio .
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • If you need more Maya Support for testing, let me know. I've been working in it for nearly 20 years. Back when it was Alias|Wavefront.;)

• wolf359 said:
    nicstt said:

I will be using Blender 2.81 For my animation renders going forward. No third party plug-ins for me just straight FBX export from Daz Studio .

Can I ask what software you'll be using for animation? I recall that you used to use iClone, so I'm guessing that, if that's what you're still using, you're exporting via FBX?

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 2,889
    edited February 22
    Iclone retargeted to Daz ...exported as FBX from DS to Blender 2.8x... Rendered in near real-time with EEVEE.
    Post edited by wolf359 on