Sheet Ghost Dynamic Simulation

2»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Wonderful drapes.  yesyes

Would add my recommendation regarding sheets that fall off ghosts.  Use a softbody attach modifier to the top of the ghost's head.  

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Great curtains, Selina.

Some interesting things can be done by duplicating simulated objects and placing them around a scene.  Here's an old one I made but just uploaded (7 seconds):

https://youtu.be/n1C3KraKM_U

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i luv billowing curtainssmileyheart

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Excellent Selina and Marcus Grimhilda!

Selina, have you tried with another material for less elasticity?

edited March 2021

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I made tons of experiments a few years ago without great success in Carrara, that is why I use Marvelous Designer as plugin from this time!

If I draw a parrallel with MD, the material quality is very important in a simulation.

I can only say that you get some very good results with Carrara!

edited March 2021

• Thanks, DUDU.  I made hundreds of simulations those few years ago and am sorry if I wasted anyone's time by posting so much on the subject.  But for me at least it was useful for getting my head round the concepts which are much the same in Poser's Cloth Room and elsewhere.

Selina, it might be of interest, since you seem intrigued by this, to take a mesh of even quads and delete one row of edges so that you have a row of quads twice the height of the others.  You would need to delete the vertices at the previous intersections also.  I found that this gave an interesting extra stretch during the simulation.  On a dress, for example, a section of bigger quads below the bust would cause the dress to stretch there and towards the waist it would tighten again.  It gives the impression of extra weight pulling down.  

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Fantastic results, Selina.  Thanks for sharing. 

Have you tried surrounding collision objects with softbody envelopes?  Not offered as a way to affect the cloth for stills like these, but in my experience it decreased calculation time.  Trade-off, time to create a soft-body envelope vs time saved through decreased calculation time.  Would be scene specific.

edited March 2021

The following post by Jonstark has an example of a figure that has an invisible undersuit wearing a softbody attach skirt and with dynamc hair.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/771857/#Comment_771857

The rest of the thread before and after that post has some other experiments along the same lines.  The softody physics experiments died off when VWD was introduced. 

edited March 2021

edited September 2018

Excellent start, Selina.  I'm confident that you can do great stuff with the native softbody physics.  However, if you have Philemo's Carrara bridge for VWD, I do recommend it. 

The hidden forcefield was a great discovery.  Stringtheory, Marcus Severus, and others showed some real brilliance.  I had started to make character-specific envelopes, but had trouble because the NAMED vertex function seemed to lose some information when saved to the browser.  Therefore, my attempts to re-use an envelope were failing.  I thought it was an unavoidable and catastrophic obstacle, but Andy (3DAge) suggested that it could be due to the way things are saved to the object browser.  Saving as a full file might address it.  Never followed up because I stopped experimenting after VWD came out.  Two other issues were joints and target helpers, but I'll just point you back to te thread for more on those.  Relatively minor issues in my opinion.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2021

• Hi Selena, nice work.  I remember doing zillions of simulations in days gone by.

As for Diomede, and no doubt many others, the introduction of VWD was an end for me of trying to get animated soft-body effects in Carrara.  I'm glad to know how to use it for still images and even for draping my own clothing but animation is impossible after a few frames.

I was relatively new to Carrara when I tried to get a handle on soft-body physics because I had discovered it in Reallusions's Iclone which was at version 5 at the time.  Iclone allowed items to be made into hard-body or soft-body physics objects.  A particular vendor of simple soft-body clothing meshes supplied an avatar which had invisible hard body collision spheres attached to the waist, hands and thighs.

I tried very hard to do the same in Carrara.  My way to make hard-body spheres was to select all vertices of these objects in a soft-body-attach modifier.  This was to make them solid and still be part of the simulation.  They could be parented to limbs, to make them move.

Stringtheory came up with the idea of giving (soft-body) clothing meshes hard-body-attach regions which were like a kind of sleeve around the limbs but were part of the same clothing mesh.

My thread from 2014 is long-winded and may be innacurate here and there in the beginning but it is peppered with images and links to things I tried.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37372/trying-out-physics-in-carrara

Something else which cropped up in discussions is that gravity doesn't need to be downward.  It can be used as a side-wind or upwards, as someone did with replicated objects.

Also, a former member, now gone said that Physics did work correctly in one of the beta versions leading to the release of 8.5

It's sad to think that the code is there in a beta version to give Carrara it's own native Cloth Room/VWD/Dforce. 

edited March 2021

• Please, please don't apologise.  Your results are among the best achieved in all the time I've been looking.  My own knowledge of Carrara is quite shallow but I have tended to pursue cloth simulations in several different softwares - it was one thing I got into depth with.  It may be that you have mastered other solutions and are looking now at Carrara or it may not.  If not, rest assured that other physics implementations in different software will be so much easier to master now that you've tackled Carrara's Bullet.  I got immediate good results when I tried Poser's Cloth Room, for example.

My You Tube channel is rubbish and needs to be deleted.  But you can see some of my stumbling physics renders in some of the videos using Poser, Iclone, Carrara, VWD.  If you prefer not to - I really wouldn't blame you!  I won't be asking!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QKWA-6DAMb6bT5m2hXJDg

Also, please keep posting your work - it's an interesting thread.

edited March 2021

• ...ended up just quickly painting the sheet ghost sketch in photoshop. I think I've found some interesting uses for physics draperies for creating abstracted organic shapes, so a useful lesson in any case. Thanks for all the tips.
    ghostsketch1 2048.png
    2048 x 1987 - 3M
    edited March 2021

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

love your little animations.... so much patience wink

edited March 2021

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

so much love heart

smiley

thankyou 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Can anyone post an example scene as a freebie? Best way to learn...
    edited March 2021