daz closing on its own when I render

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Yeah....so

I'm trying to render a scene...and the program closes on it's own when I"m doing the render

I"m not pressing it to close (it doesn't even ask if I want to save it when it closes)

I'll hide the window to do some thing else and the thing shuts down

Comments

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited August 2013

Out of memory error? is it a big complex scene?

(if you're in Win7, take a look in C:\users\VataRaven\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt and see if the log file has anything interesting at the end of it...)

Post edited by M F M on
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There is no error message coming up

As soon as I hide it, the thing shuts down

And I odn't have that AppData folder...anywhere

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

You need to show hidden folders to see the appdata folder

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

The AppData by default is a hidden folder. For Windows 7 you'll need to go to open a File Browser and in the upper left click Organize > Folder and Search Options > View tab > Change the option to Show hidden files, folders, or drives and click Apply.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited August 2013

You can also view the log file the next time you start DS by going to the menu bar and selecting
    Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File...
    In Windows, after the log file opens in Wordpad, you can also select File > Save As, then instead of saving, just drag a shortcut from log.txt in that window to your desktop or wherever for later use as a fast way to locate the file.
    Note that sometimes things aren't written to the log file until you exit DS though, so if it is appropriate to do so, you may want to exit first and then look.

If it exited normally, the last line of the file should look something like this:
    --------------- DAZ Studio 4.6.0.18 exited ------------------
    If that's not the last line, I would assume it crashed or was otherwise unexpectedly terminated.

Note that sometimes crashes pop up a big window that stays, and sometimes they just give a tiny brief message that goes away right away that's easy to miss.

EDITED TO ADD: If you are running out of memory, you might want to make a point of saving prior to rendering so you won't loose anything if the render proves too be too much, then also exiting/restarting to clear the undo to try to free up a tiny bit more memory. I was recently working on a scene on my 32-bit PC that kept getting memory errors and crashes more and more often the more I added things to it to the point where I couldn't spot render without crashing. I was almost done, and just needed to add one more thing to the scene. I ended up running TextureAtlas one a distant background figure to cram all it's textures together and then made them much smaller in a desperate attempt to use less memory; it worked, and I was finally able to add the final item to the scene and render without the crash. Depending on what you are doing and how close you are to your PC's memory limit, a workaround like this might allow you to get your scene done. (Of course your problem could turn out to be something different too.)

Post edited by sriesch on
    edited December 1969

it says this, only warning I see, but these are just for items, not the scene itself

Unless this has to do with me USING 32x and not 64x to render

Loading Startup Scene : C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Render Library\Melyanna.duf
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5307): Unsupported formula: /data/SickleYield/DeadWorldPants/DWPantsIntactG/SYDWPantsIntactG.dsf#SYDWPantsIntactG
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5307): Unsupported formula: /data/SickleYield/DeadWorldPants/DWPantsIntactG/SYDWPantsIntactG.dsf#SYDWPantsIntactG
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5307): Unsupported formula: /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Left/CuffAnkleBootLeft.dsf#CuffAnkleBootLeft
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/general in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Left/CuffAnkleBootLeft.dsf#CuffAnkleBootLeft
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5307): Unsupported formula: /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Left/CuffAnkleBootLeft.dsf#CuffAnkleBootLeft
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/x in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Left/CuffAnkleBootLeft.dsf#CuffAnkleBootLeft
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/y in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Left/CuffAnkleBootLeft.dsf#CuffAnkleBootLeft
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/z in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Left/CuffAnkleBootLeft.dsf#CuffAnkleBootLeft
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5307): Unsupported formula: /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Right/CuffAnkleBootRight.dsf#CuffAnkleBootRight
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/general in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Right/CuffAnkleBootRight.dsf#CuffAnkleBootRight
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5307): Unsupported formula: /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Right/CuffAnkleBootRight.dsf#CuffAnkleBootRight
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/x in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Right/CuffAnkleBootRight.dsf#CuffAnkleBootRight
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/y in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Right/CuffAnkleBootRight.dsf#CuffAnkleBootRight
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5127): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis?scale/z in file : /data/Pusey Designs/Genesis Boots/Cuffed Ankle Boot Right/CuffAnkleBootRight.dsf#CuffAnkleBootRight

edited December 1969

Rendering image
    Compiled C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/shaders/brickyard/{82953016-6188-4c34-8414-928db85b1078}/shader_Surface.sdl...

I did another render

that's the last thing that came up in the log

edited December 1969

Could it be because of me using the 32x bit edition?

edited December 1969

IF rendering is exceeding the 32-bit memory limits, that could be causing it to crash and thus not finish rendering, yes. However I don't know that we have any way to know that for sure.
    It sounds like you might have the 64-bit version available. Can you simply try doing the render in the 64-bit version as a workaround?
    edited December 1969

It's not installed on my computer

I'd have to download it when I can

I only have the 32x bit because has yet to put Lip Sync to the 64x edition

edited December 1969

If you make a copy of your scene (so you don't mess up your original) and in the copy, delete something that has a very large texture associated with it, then save, exit (to clear undo), reload, and render, does it render without exiting? If so, maybe you were just a little bit over the line with memory and some modifications to your scene might allow you to continue. It's a long shot, but easy enough to try.
    Also, in the unlikely event that you remember exactly what changes you made to the scene since the last time you rendered without problems, and it's easy to undo (in a copy!), you could try that, then see if one of the changes you made is in any way causing the crash, and see if it's something that could be avoided or done differently.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

What changes have happened since it last rendered successfully?
    edited December 1969

I deleted the light source in the copy

It started to render in the new window...then it shut down

...and no changes

edited December 1969

Now I deleted the background source

daz still force shut down

edited December 1969

I meant try deleting something that has one ore more large image files associated with it, rather than a light. for example if I look at V5, it looks like there are maybe around 50 images used, many of which are 2048x2048 or larger, those presumably have to be using a lot of memory when processed.

edited December 1969

Well

I deleted everything except Genesis before it stopped shutting itself down

What does that mean?

edited December 1969

Well

I deleted everything except Genesis before it stopped shutting itself down

What does that mean?

Hmm. I'm not sure exactly. It does mean that either one of the things you deleted, or the volume of things you had, was in some way triggering the crash. (I know, that's vague and unhelpful.) If in the past you have been able to render similarly-sized scenes without a problem, that makes it less likely to be running out of memory and more likely to be something else (although it is a guess that could be off, obviously you don't know exactly how much memory is being used or was in the past.)
    If you can narrow it down by deleting things one at a time to a single item that triggers the crash, then can try your original scene with ONLY that single item deleted and it still works so you know it was actually that item and not just a line that was crossed by that item, you might be able to find a way to work around it. (try a different similar item, see if a different material on the item works, etc.) However if you have a lot of items in your scene, deleting/saving/exiting/reloading/rendering for every single one might be very slow and painful. It's even worse when you think you found it, only to find the next time you try it works just fine and it wasn't THAT object, and the crash just happened to not happen when you deleted it. I've been there. If you have a basic scene, or are just really really stubborn, you could try this.
    I wish I had a better answer. Maybe somebody else will.
    edited December 1969

I seriously

I deleted the items 1 at a time and rendered each time I deleted something

So it's not like I deleted everyone at once

edited December 1969

So the very last item you deleted, before which the render crashed, and after which the scene rendered ok: what happens if you delete only that single item from the scene? Does the render work now, or does it still crash?

edited December 1969

No

I cna't delete anything from the scene

1) there would be a lacking background. 2) I need the light 3) she'd be naked

All I had in the scene was Genesis was the Young Teen 5 textures, hair, clothes, background, and 1 light

no props, no nothing

So not like I can delete anything from the start

edited December 1969

So the crash must be happening when either when the hair or the clothes are added to the scene.
    Are you willing to lower the resolution (make the image size smaller) of any of the textures? You might be able to do so without even being able to see a difference, if there are no extreme closeups. If the problem is too much memory being used, this MIGHT fix it.
    If you are willing to try that, you can either do so manually by selecting images used one at a time in the Surfaces pane (Diffuse, bump, etc.) for whatever surfaces you select and resizing them in an image editor (photoshop, GIMP, etc.)
    If you have Texture Atlas, you could also use that to consolidate and resize all at once, although of course there are downsides to that. I can provide instructions if needed.
    Before you spend time resizing, it would be easier to do a quick test to see if eliminating the textures entirely actually fixes the problem or not.

edited December 1969

I DID resize it

The original render size was 6000 x 9000

and I took it down to 2500 x 2500

Problem is...it stopped crashing when everything was gone BUT Genesis and the hair put on

If it because of Daz 32...then I'll download 64

Because it was crashing no matter what I did

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I DID resize it

The original render size was 6000 x 9000

and I took it down to 2500 x 2500

Problem is...it stopped crashing when everything was gone BUT Genesis and the hair put on

If it because of Daz 32...then I'll download 64

Because it was crashing no matter what I did

That's a pretty big render for a 32 bit system. Try taking it down to half of that and see what happens.

You might also bring up Windows Task Manager and watch memory usage. If the 32bit version of DS gets up around 2GB of memory you're probably going to see a crash.

edited December 1969

If you have a 64bit OS and more than 3Gb of ram, there's really no reason not to use the 64Gb of a program. Just install outside of the default Program folders.

edited December 1969

I mean lowering the size of the textures used by objects in the scene, not the size of the render. For example, in the toolbar, click on the Surface Selection Tool, then click on a surface of something in the scene.
    For example, if I load V5 (picked at random since the basic Genesis doesn't have a default texture) and click on her head, in the Surfaces pane that selects the surface 1_SkinFace . If I then hover over the thumbnail in front of the Diffuse parameter, it shows me the full path and filename of the image used for the face, which is C:\bleahbleahbleah\V5BreeHeadM.jpg . If I locate that file and open it, I see that it is 4096x4096. If I make a copy, then resize the copy to 1024x1024 and assign the copy to that parameter, it will use less resources to process, but might look exactly the same because her head might be only 800 pixels tall in the render anyway, or whatever.
    And that single file is only one of many many files that Genesis uses that are unnecessarily large for my current render. Then repeat for her hair, then repeat for her clothes, it all adds up, and MIGHT be putting me over the line and causing a problem.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    If you have a 64bit OS and more than 3Gb of ram, there's really no reason not to use the 64Gb of a program. Just install outside of the default Program folders.

Seems like an issue. I only have the 32 because Daz hasn't done anything to move Lip Sync over to the 64 edition
    edited August 2013

Vaskania said:

Seems like an issue. I only have the 32 because Daz hasn't done anything to move Lip Sync over to the 64 edition
    You can have them installed simultaneously (to separate folders, obviously), but only 1 running at once. Use the 32 bit when you need lip sync and use the 64bit for everything else.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Will the 64x one open when i click open a saved scene?

edited December 1969

It's a toss up. You can just open DS and then open/merge the scene, though.

edited December 1969

Alright

Thanks for all the help

Sorry Sean Riesch, you were a lot of help, seems the issue would've been easily answered if the 64 was on my computer