A couple more Iray renders using Ken Gililand's new Sagebrush Habitat

First one Sun>Sky only

Second with HDRI

iray5S.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 836K
    habwidefinalS.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 913K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • I see the lizard scampered off in the second one....

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

got too hot

Been a long time since I kicked back and made something fun. Two days work. Redid a lot of displacement maps and made normal maps from the bumps for a lot of the external surfaces of the building. Redid every surface in line with what I feel is better. Man even some plants had Iray emissive settings by the default Iray preset. I hate paying good money for bad surfaces settings. They should employ someone like me too look them over so they look their best from the off. Moan over. J

I could have used Ultrascatter but to be honest I haven’t learnt how to use it so this scene took just over 12 GB of RAM to render. 5 and half at rest.

Lit by HDRI only. Small amount of post, a little more saturation and a boarder. J

Items used

Raven Court http://www.daz3d.com/3-raven-court

Raven Court Expansion 1 http://www.daz3d.com/3-raven-court-expansion-1

Toadstool Lane http://www.daz3d.com/5-toadstool-lane

Fern Lake http://www.daz3d.com/fern-lake

Japanese Maples http://www.daz3d.com/japanese-maples

Nature - Trees Pack 2 http://www.daz3d.com/nature-trees-pack-2

Nature - Plants Pack 1 http://www.daz3d.com/nature-plants-pack-1

Skies of iRadiance - Sunny Sky HDRIs for Iray http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-iradiance-sunny-sky-hdris-for-iray

Teo and Reipus by Nursoda

I mixed The base Raven Court Wall and Chimney textures and kept the rest from the Toadstool Lane textures set. I retextured the ground too.

Testing Iray displacement and I got to say given the Raven Courts age it stood up to being subdivided by the shader sub-d only, level 4. 

I titled it "I can smell cake"

I can smell Cake.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • Really well done.  Excellent job on the retexturings.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Turned out very nice! I like the strange chap coming home there

Thank you Tabsco and Linwelly

as the tile of this thread says....

hung up on realism, struggle to find the correct surface settings...I now adjust to what looks nice, real or not...I don't care about perfection anymore until I have too. :) 

Iray Tone Mapping...I only use EV, Tone Mapping is only really good for matching photos or when using realistic light settings. Again I do what looks nice. :) 

I am still hung up on realism because it is a personal challenge and not to say "look how cool am I". :) But I am cool. I just felt my creative juices were being stifled by puzzling over small details and in most cases it didn't matter. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

then enjoy your freedom from realism, it will be interesting to see what you come up with

I would say freedom just an alternative reality. :) My muse is on holiday at the moment. I think that happens when doing this for too long. I really want to do something really artistic and something I have never done. Something out of my comfort zone again. Haven't pushed myslef in so long.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

or everything to gain

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Really like what you did with that. Its actually one of my favorite houses/scenes and I have rendered it only once lol.  You are inspiring me to do to another!

Thanks Ice...been a while since I had so much fun making an image. 

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

I have been reading the thread and your tutorials. I hope to put them to good use. Thanks for sharing. :)

I love the last image of the cottage. The textures turned out great. I think tweaking them to makethem turn out good using whatever render engine is the hardest part.

My pleasure Liana

From the first ever image I made in DS I have continually messed about with surfaces. That extended to a lot more software which I think gave me a better understanding on tweaking surfaces in general. I still find lighting a challenge in any engine, yes even Iray. But it has gotten easier over the years I admit.  In my opinion Surfaces go hand in hand with Light, get them both right and with good composition the result should be good.

edited December 2016

:) 

I have to admit I have done some messing with textures also from my first render. I had very little idea at the time what I was doing in Daz. haha.  Lighting is a struggle for me. I have tried lights that come with scenes, end up disliking them, and trying my own set-up from stuff I have read in the forums. I will just keep plugging away. Thanks!

Post edited by Liana on

Yeah lighting is the biggest hurdle I find. It does help to understand how light works in the real world and faking each aspect in 3DL. Iray not such a problem. 

http://www.daz3d.com/balneae Iray with HDRI Postwork Photoshop Lightroom. 

bal4final.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M

That's really beautiful and serene.

• Very nice scene, Pete.

Lovely scene :)

Thanks folks. I do love this set. Here is another angle with more blue added to the whole scene in post.

bal4finalA-2.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
    edited February 2017

make for a good jigsaw Hummm how big do I need to render it for a good sized jigsaw...time to Google. :)

5724 x 3793

26.5 x 17 inches 2000 piece £33.00 I bet I can find it cheaper. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • Nice to see you posting again, Szark!  I love what you did with Balneae!  Really nice.

Thank you, nice to be rendering again.

That would make an amazing puzzle

I just really like that scene :) I am spending more time modeling and learning about Daz in general.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I think Szark does amazing renders always!!!

I also think it would make an amazing puzzle!!!

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited February 2017

Hey Pete!!  Nice to see you're back!

Sorry...I missed this thread last week.  I've been busy for the past 2 weeks trying to get my new computer system up and running.   (It didn't even cost me a my motorcycle!  Just my tax refund...)  Hopefully, Iray renders won't take a week now...

I've been looking at promo images of products I like, and wondering if I can at least make something close.  I've been working on Stonemason's Generic Sci Fi Corridor in 3DL in another thread (Commons) just trying to make it look half decent.

That Balneae render is amazing!  Great work!  Very realistic, which is my favorite. I think I'm going to get that set, or see if I have something similar, and try to render up a masterpiece. 

Thanks for the inspiration! (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?)

smiley

Post edited by dHandle on

hey dHandle nice to hear from you.

For the record I have never been away just busy working, freelancing. Do I miss making images...you bet and I have so many more ideas these days. Like to old days where I was pushing myself toward a more artistic colourful output but then along came Iray and now my whole world revolves around it. I got gifted Vue 2014 Complete and only used it once which bugs the hell out of me. But I am happy that I am still growing, though in a different direction these days.

Oh mate didn't cost you your bike...awesome news that is dude. 

Stonemason is a hard act to follow IMHO but not something to make you shy away from but inspire to be so. I will I had the time to play more.

Thanks to the render comments everyone. Like I said on my dA page Jack did make it easier with making an awesome set.

Yeah man imitate away...we are all influenced by others, though many just don't know it...well some of us do. :) Some folks think I like showing off with my thread but the truth is it was suggested by another that I do so and I hope to inspire even though I personally I don't consider myself a good renderer/artist. No matter what others say that is how I feel as I have a vision in my head and it never comes out in that way.