What uses up my disc space when rendering or rearranging a Scene

I keep all my Scenes DUF in  D:drive but i noticed when i make a new scene or
rearrange a scene i loose alot of disc space in C:drive where my Libraries etc are.
And its several gigabites i loose. What cold possibly be saved there from a scene?
Exept of course the history report!

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

If on Windows it could be the Paging File that is causing it if it is only temporary. Try changing the Virtual Memory settings for the computer by setting it to None for the C: drive and System Managed for the D: drive.

• Fishtales said:

If on Windows it could be the Paging File that is causing it if it is only temporary. Try changing the Virtual Memory settings for the computer by setting it to None for the C: drive and System Managed for the D: drive.

How do you mean by temporary. Cause i did what you suggested and now it looks like i have gained some disc space...??

• After changing the Virtual Memory settings and doing some more work on scenes i have gained more then 10 GB. What is that?

I meant was the space taken up on your C: drive just temporary and it went away if you closed the scene/studio?

I'm not sure how virtual memory/pageing file works but I always thought it was only used when the normal memory was running out, not so. If there isn't enough pageing file memory allocated in windows then I have seen studio just close down during use, even when there is lots of memory left, I have 16GB.

The reason you gained 10GB on your C: drive is probably because the D: drive is now being used for virtual memory, if that is how you have set it up, and it has been cleared from the C: drive.

• DS also keeps its temporary files on the C: drive by defalut (the path is set in Edit>Preferrences, Daz Studio >Preferences for a Mac). Thsoe, however, shoudl go when DS closes.

I have the Temp file set to go to my D: drive.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited September 2018
    Fishtales said:

I meant was the space taken up on your C: drive just temporary and it went away if you closed the scene/studio?

I'm not sure how virtual memory/pageing file works but I always thought it was only used when the normal memory was running out, not so. If there isn't enough pageing file memory allocated in windows then I have seen studio just close down during use, even when there is lots of memory left, I have 16GB.

The reason you gained 10GB on your C: drive is probably because the D: drive is now being used for virtual memory, if that is how you have set it up, and it has been cleared from the C: drive.

Ok. Thanks a million for your advise. My Daz studio works so much easier and smoother now than before.. I whish i had known this earlier..

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on