Daz Illustrated - The Gatekeeper: From Dust to the Beyond

EamonEamon Posts: 159
edited August 2013 in Art Studio

This here will be a place where I will post new cinematic art and story elements from my creator owned project, The Gatekeeper: From Dust to the Beyond which I hope to eventually be made in to a decent movie. Yes I know, but you gotta start somewhere and aim high!

The Gatekeeper is the story of a living weapon created at the end of time in order to erase the mistakes of mankind in the hopes of saving our once precious planet.
The story first began life in 1997 in the Waterford Institute of Technology student magazine The Grapevine.
In 2001 The Gatekeeper returned in her own self titled comic book with a world wide release.

Today, The Gatekeeper: From Dust to the Beyond represents a departure from the traditional comic and instead, is now an illustration book/graphic novel. This graphic art/story book will cover many aspects scenes from the epic time spanning human story. It will serve as sort of bible for any future and grander endeavours...eventually leading to a movie, a children's animated series and a video game. Ambition is not in short supply here!

This story will be utilizing DazStudio along with Bryce to achieve the cinematic look I am try to achieve.

Please join the Facebook group for further images, updates and to show your support for a home grown story that could change the world: https://www.facebook.com/TheGatekeeperFromDusttothebeyond

To get things started, here is the rough animatic I made just for just to set the tone:

http://youtu.be/KNRCUQeDxyA

Some promotional artwork:

GK-Facebook-header.jpg
865 x 334 - 74K
Dust-bowel-Earth.jpg
550 x 716 - 213K
GKFDTTB-Postcard.jpg
550 x 775 - 204K
GK-Poster-1.jpg
596 x 842 - 289K
Post edited by Eamon on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Eamon said:
    This here will be a place where I will post new cinematic art and story elements from my creator owned project, The Gatekeeper: From Dust to the Beyond which I hope to eventually be made in to a decent movie. Yes I know, but you gotta start somewhere and aim high!

The Gatekeeper is the story of a living weapon created at the end of time in order to erase the mistakes of mankind in the hopes of saving our once precious planet.
    The story first began life in 1997 in the Waterford Institute of Technology student magazine The Grapevine.
    In 2001 The Gatekeeper returned in her own self titled comic book with a world wide release.

Today, The Gatekeeper: From Dust to the Beyond represents a departure from the traditional comic and instead, is now an illustration book/graphic novel. This graphic art/story book will cover many aspects scenes from the epic time spanning human story. It will serve as sort of bible for any future and grander endeavours...eventually leading to a movie, a children's animated series and a video game. Ambition is not in short supply here!

This story will be utilizing DazStudio along with Bryce to achieve the cinematic look I am try to achieve.

Please join the Facebook group for further images, updates and to show your support for a home grown story that could change the world: https://www.facebook.com/TheGatekeeperFromDusttothebeyond

To get things started, here is the rough animatic I made just for just to set the tone:

http://youtu.be/KNRCUQeDxyA

Some promotional artwork:

slick - so you are not going to do animation - just renders

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

It will be for print as it's a graphic novel. Though I may experiment with animation for the animatic at some stage.

Here are some panels from the story.

GK_Scene_3.jpg
    1849 x 1285 - 639K
    GK_Scene_13.jpg
    943 x 871 - 322K
  • JOHNGARRETTJOHNGARRETT Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

This is really top notch work. I'm impressed - hope to see the movie someday :)

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Looks great, Eamon.

• The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Looks amazing. Looking forward to more

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I like that you are not afraid to use extreme fade outs, that's a very nice touch that I use a lot in my 2D work. It really pulls the eye toward the middle. That last one posted is a great example. This will be a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!
    Cathie

• LomrikLomrik Posts: 53
    edited August 2013

:coolsmile: :coolsmile: :coolsmile: Awesome :coolsmile: :coolsmile: :coolsmile:

Post edited by Lomrik on
    edited December 1969

Thanks you very much you guys! You guys are the first outside of friends to see this and like it so that has put a certain spring in my step.

I was using Poser and switched to Daz about a year ago and haven't look back as it's just too flexable and easier to work with.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I love the pictures! Very impressive.

edited December 1969

Thanks! More pics on the way!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good art speaks for itself. These all speak very well. Waiting for more.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

I am sure I will get the inevitable frowning that this is done using CGI instead of hand drawn stuff but I am hoping I can avoid that more typical often cheap CGI look and just make it look cinematic.

The fist Gatekeeper comics back in 1997 and 2002 were all hand drawn. But I found it crazy hard work pencilling, inking and colouring a full comic book on your own.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Wow ! love these renders, great job :-)

edited December 1969

Thank you!

Here be another panel exhibiting her more tender side! ;)

GK-Fight.jpg
    837 x 539 - 187K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Very cool! I'm waiting for more! :)

edited December 1969

Eamon said:
    I am sure I will get the inevitable frowning that this is done using CGI instead of hand drawn stuff but I am hoping I can avoid that more typical often cheap CGI look and just make it look cinematic.

The fist Gatekeeper comics back in 1997 and 2002 were all hand drawn. But I found it crazy hard work pencilling, inking and colouring a full comic book on your own.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I'm working on a comic myself, and you have to brace yourself for the dismissive attitude that comes when some realize it's done with 3D.

And having done the whole draw/ink/color//layout/letter deal I can agree it is a KILLER.

Looking forward to seeing more!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    edited August 2013

Great looking promo art and posters. Would work great as a graphic novel too. A well thought out cinematic vision.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

These look very professional to me. Great stuff.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys! Making this cinematic is exactly what I am trying to do so I am delighted you guys are seeing that! :)

If there are any experts here that would be willing to help me, I am having a lot of trouble with the character's breast plate shape and material:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27926/

edited December 1969

Very happy with my latest render as her breastplate always bothered me.

Here is a very tight crop of what will be a very epic poster with all the character and cool gubbins!

GK-Poster-Acrop.jpg
    700 x 706 - 238K
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

That armour looks spectacular! I can imagine how happy you must be with this render.

edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    That armour looks spectacular! I can imagine how happy you must be with this render.

Thanks. Her whole breast shape was very bothersome and made her look frumpy and as there will be so much artwork with it, i really wanted to sort it out.
    Thanks to the good folks here I, did! :)

edited December 1969

Looks great!

And even better for having to overcome the problems with the breastplate.

I can't wait to see the final poster!

edited December 1969

Guys, I purchased Hooded Cloak pack for Genesis 2. Unfortunately, I don't have Genesis 2 and when I search to buy Genesis 2, I cannot find.

I know I am missing a beat here and I cannot remember what the deal was with Genesis 1.

How do I get Genesis 2 female? Can it be injected into the body I have taked ages to create above which is Genesis 1 with Victoria 5, Pippa and Supermodel already in there?

If anybody can advise, t'would be much appreciated. :)

edited December 1969

I got Genesis 2 fem when upgrading to Daz 4.6. It's uncluded in the package. I think you can install Gen2 loose even without actually upgrading studio, but you'd have to try and see how that works.

(and with http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female-clone-for-genesis you can even fit Gen2 fem stuff to teh original genesis)

edited December 1969

hmm...I am using Daz 4.6. and Installed it last year after making the jump from Poser. where do I get Gen 2 if it should've been included?

edited December 1969

I have 'Genesis 2 starter essentials' in my library. That's where she should be hiding.

• DeanpwDeanpw Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Hi Eamon,

You've got some really nice renders there! Nice work!

With regards to Gen2, it's where Mori_mann said. Just type "genesis 2 female" into the search bar and all the items for gen 2 will appear. Scroll down and she's near the bottom.

edited February 2014

Thanks Deanpw!

Nope! I see no Genesis 2 anywhere. All I have is Genesis.

Post edited by Eamon on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited February 2014

Great work! I love the gritty feel to them.

Also, G2F is in there under Genesis 2 Starter Essentials, not Genesis 2 Female.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on