Snap to Grid and Tesselate

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hey guys...got a question about the snap to grid function.

What I'm trying to do is take a simple square polygon, and draw a floorplan of a room (including walls of the correct thickness) using one of the tesselate functions, such as tesselate by slice.

The idea is to draw the plan on the polygon, and once I have the sliced polygon, I just vertically extrude all of the wall polygons and voila, I've got the room. So I figured I could set up the snap to grid function so that the tesselates would respect the grid and automatically snap to a grid that had divisions equal to the wall thickness.

However, it doesn't seem that the tesselates respect the snap to grid function. And of course the manual doesn't tell you which functions DO respect the snap to grid.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

Hi JoeMamma2000,

There is not a "Snap to Grid" function as such (unless it was added in the latest version and I missed it).
    There is a snap to feedback grid, but that is actually a snap to rulers (the rulers that appear, as example, when creating objects or using the stretch tool). There is also a default movement snap of incremental 0.1, but unfortunately, that does not function on tools such as tessellate. It is a pain, as it is not easy to create such as insets with a specific size.

You would find it easier to create the floor plan from a grid or poly-lines, but you may not be looking for other methods.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Steve..

Well, based on that, I decided to cheat... :)

Instead, what I did is to make two simple boxes that represent a "standard" wall. Each is 10 feet high and 6 inches thick (or whatever), with their base polygons located at the floor (=0). One is a plain wall (just a box) and the other is a box with three tesselations by slice to form the door opening.

Once I have those, I just UV map 'em (which is a bit easier with simple boxes), then duplicate as needed. To resize I just move one of the end faces to stretch the wall. Or to reposition the door opening, just select all of the edges/lines associated with the door frame and slide them left or right.

So now I've got two "modular" wall sections that can be used to make any room. Sounds good so far, hope I don't run into any snags....

Thanks.