Is it bad to run multiple copies of DS at same time?

Is it bad to run multiple copies of DS at the same time on the same computer?  For example regular release and beta release?

Comments

• Not at all, I run both myself! But then again, my answer is not really the official one.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited September 2018

Nope.  I do it all the time too.  I might have a render going, and I open another instance to work on a new scene.  It might run a bit slower, and if you are rendering in Iray then you can't render or use the iray preview in the second instance.

Post edited by areg5 on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739

Okay thanks.  Looks like I have to restart my computer soon, but good to know.  It is 10:35ish and I need to be at work by 11 so I will just turn off the machine before heading to work.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    areg5 said:

Nope.  I do it all the time too.  I might have a render going, and I open another instance to work on a new scene.  It might run a bit slower, and if you are rendering in Iray then you can't render or use the iray preview in the second instance.

I've had two Iray renders running at the same time, one on the full version and one on the beta. Do you mean two instances of the same version? I'm sure I've done that without problems too.

• Running two instances of the same version is likely to cause issues, and is not recommended or supported. For one thing, File>New will clear the sahred temp folder, losing any render in progress in the other instance. Beta and release don't share temp folder or settings so can safely run side-by-side.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739

Okay

Running two instances of the same version is likely to cause issues, and is not recommended or supported. For one thing, File>New will clear the sahred temp folder, losing any render in progress in the other instance. Beta and release don't share temp folder or settings so can safely run side-by-side.

good to know.  I install beta now.  Is beta CMS good as regular cms?

• The PostgreSQL versions are the same, and you can have only one installed anyway.