Scale of a model

william_b25f693951william_b25f693951 Posts: 32
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have been meaning to start modelling for over a year and have been playing wih Hexagon for that time. But four days ago I finnally started my first model. I want to make the model as detailed as I can without driving myself crazy.

Anyway, I am about halfway done with the rough of the exterior. Then I am going to model the insides (Just because I want to know how). But while I was brousing the forum, I saw somone say that his oilrig was scaled to fit figures.

Oops. So how do I check what the scale of my spaceship is and is their a % change is size control for the whole model?

Man, I hope I don't have to start over....

Please help!?!?!?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Maldark said:
    I have been meaning to start modelling for over a year and have been playing wih Hexagon for that time. But four days ago I finnally started my first model. I want to make the model as detailed as I can without driving myself crazy.

Anyway, I am about halfway done with the rough of the exterior. Then I am going to model the insides (Just because I want to know how). But while I was brousing the forum, I saw somone say that his oilrig was scaled to fit figures.

Oops. So how do I check what the scale of my spaceship is and is their a % change is size control for the whole model?

Please help!?!?!?

Don't panic! No need to start over. I usually make such items 'small' so everything is on the grid fitting with those floorplans, etc.
    Then over on the right tab underneath all those placement and size numbers is a little box to check to "keep ratio". Check that and then resize the entire unit as large as you please.

• william_b25f693951william_b25f693951 Posts: 32
    edited August 2013

Maldark said:

Please help!?!?!?

Don't panic! No need to start over. I usually make such items 'small' so everything is on the grid fitting with those floorplans, etc.
    Then over on the right tab underneath all those placement and size numbers is a little box to check to "keep ratio". Check that and then resize the entire unit as large as you please.

Ok, so how do I figure out what size it currently is?
    And do I group everything before I resize it?

Post edited by william_b25f693951 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Maldark said:
    ... edit ...

Ok, so how do I figure out what size it currently is?
    And do I group everything before I resize it?

1st. The word 'group' means different things in this program. All the bits and pieces showing on the Scene Tab are "groups". Do NOT weld those all together! [you will lose the uvmapping etc].

To "select" all the groups, in solid mode [I don't know all the terms either, see circle] either Ctrl + a on the keyboard OR right-click drag to select all the items in the scene, check mark in place, and then either by using the yellow resizer cube in the centre of the manipulator OR by changing a number on the properties tab, resize the entire collection as you please.

What size is it to start with ... well the numbers are on the properties tab. If you have the grid showing, and the location of the "collection" of everything is about 0.0.0 you should see it there.

I size interior items, like chairs, to fit the basic character figures such as M4 and V4. Exterior items ... well that depends of course upon what they are. If you're talking ships, then I size them small [more or less inside the grid area] simply because if one has them super duper large, they are next to impossible to do anything with in D/S. However it is possible in D/S to resize any prop item as large as may be desired so in my books, it's a win-win situation. If I can load the ship and put it where I want it in the scene ... and resize it as I please, that's kool.

select_all.png
    900 x 538 - 138K
    scale.png
    837 x 496 - 41K
    keep_ratio.png
    384 x 416 - 48K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I guess that was my oil rig....:cheese:

The only thing I would ad to the excellent advise from Patience55

What I did, or do.... is that I made myself a template-file, a lowpoly version of V4.
    When ever I'm going to model something in human scale, (poser figure that is) I use this file to start from.

An other thing to be aware of, is what scale-factor are you working on.
    I personal prefer to use factor 100. (Others use different.)
    That is : if you import a poser figure into Hexagon, with import factor 1, it will come in very small, and hopeless to work with.
    So I import with factor 100, and export with 0,01 .

Untitled-1.jpg
    800 x 761 - 274K