Scene Notes Plugin?

Just thought of this today, and it seems super obvious. Maybe it exists & I'm just missing it?

Anyway - this would be a single, dockable pane with a big text field on it. You type stuff. It gets saved in the Scene file. That's it.

I would love to keep notes about things I did in a scene or have a running to-do list of what I need to work on next.

Sure I could do this in Notepad or Word or even my trusty OneNote. But it would be so convenient to have it stored with the scene and immediately available when I want to get to work. Or when I open a scene again after weeks (months?) of not working on it and have forgotten nearly everything about it, probably including where I stored the notes for it.

One click, and I'm looking at / editing my notes, 2nd click and I'm back in the viewport. No head movement required. ;-)

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Would love and buy it immediately!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Funny, I wanted something like this, and made it in Python for Poser a while back (PoserNotes), but then stopped using Poser, so never sold it.

I was looking for similar yet again in Daz, and searched the forum, and came across your thread.  

Figured I would just make something that can do this.  It's not a "dockable window" but it will create a text note (based on the Scene name), and launch it in your preferred text editor.  If it already exists, it will just open the existing one.    ...and its free!  smiley

The code is not elegant, as it just took me an hour or so (to refresh my Daz-Fu) but it seems to work fine for me.  Maybe it helps!  I posted it on my site, link below.

Let me know if you have any issues!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited October 2018

Carrara users do this a lot in the scene tab so not a silly idea for studio

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • You could put an object into your scene - a primitive, for example - and then type your comments into the "Tags" property of its surface. Make the object invisible so it doesn't render and you have your built-in scene comments.

Not so nice as having scene-wide comments built in to the interface, but at least you can do it today and it won't cost you any money!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited October 2018

You could put an object into your scene - a primitive, for example - and then type your comments into the "Tags" property of its surface. Make the object invisible so it doesn't render and you have your built-in scene comments.

Not so nice as having scene-wide comments built in to the interface, but at least you can do it today and it won't cost you any money!

yes that is more or less how Carrara users do it with a target helper or a empty group

DS you can use a group too or a null

Capture.JPG
    573 x 797 - 42K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on