September 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Depth of Field

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772
    edited September 2018

@Shinji: I like your scene and colour palette, but I wouldn't have understood your picture without your explanation. To me, it looks more like the guard is being shot in the back by the person entering the vault. I think the guard should be closer to the gate, and perhaps angled differently. I also think it would be cool if the doors came off its hinges, but I don't know whether your model allows for that. Anyway, here's a reference picture that may or may not help you: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/39/22/7b3922e380a8ce07c00880e5b45e935e.jpg

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Hylas said:

@Shinji: I like your scene and colour palette, but I wouldn't have understood your picture without your explanation. To me, it looks more like the guard is being shot in the back by the person entering the vault. I think the guard should be closer to the gate, and perhaps angled differently. I also think it would be cool if the doors came off its hinges, but I don't know whether your model allows for that. Anyway, here's a reference picture that may or may not help you: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/39/22/7b3922e380a8ce07c00880e5b45e935e.jpg

Now that I think about it the shadowrunner is firing his gun as well. I'd be surprised if he wasn't getting the guard as well. As it is if the guard is being hit, that's not what got his flight started but the kick of the door.

• Here's version E. When looking at the door all I could do was change the rotations so I tried to make the right door look like it was starting to come off the hinges, would have done the same with the left door but it wasn't feeling right to me so I just went with the right door.

sept2018e.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M

^ Looks great! I think angling the door really clarifies what's happening.

• OK, my first time posting here! laugh

presenting_luna_by_bubblecloud.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 288K
  • noice

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

That's really lovely, bubblecloud! She looks so sweet.

I've got a new entry, but I wonder... Did I maybe, possibly blur out the background too much?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    TigerAnne said:

That's really lovely, bubblecloud! She looks so sweet.

I've got a new entry, but I wonder... Did I maybe, possibly blur out the background too much?

It looks like that because there is no foreground. Moving the camera back or up and tilt it so that you can see the horses feet and some ground in front would solve that.

I uh... cropped out the hooves because the whole background image was blurry. indecision

TigerAnne said:

I uh... cropped out the hooves because the whole background image was blurry. indecision

That will be an HDRI you used then? It wont take DOF in the foreground as there is no 'ground' to speak of. To get DOF on the ground needs a terrain/ground with geometry.

@Fishtales Yeah, I figured as much. Tried again with a ground-thingy sunk down to grid level.

I think it looks a lot better now. Should I try to disguise the edges a bit with some grass clumps, or would that make the background more visually distracting? Suggestions much appreciated!

That looks much better. I don't think the grass is a good idea as there is none in the image and would only highlight the edge more. At the moment it just looks like they are riding over a mound of earth in the forest which is slightly darker than the surrounding earth perhaps because of dead vegetation.

edited September 2018

@Tiger Anne: I wouldn't have noticed the "edge" if you hadn't pointed it out. I don't think it's a problem.

There's something funky going on with the horses mane, no? Shouldn't it be more black to match the tail? (Don't know much about horses, so I could be wrong.) And should the upper edge be that sharp? Maybe you can blurr the edge a little in post?

Post edited by Hylas on

@bubblecloud: Looks great! Did you see that there's a new grass product available in the freebie section of the forum? I haven't tried it out myself, but it looks like it could be something for your picture: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277246/erock3d-com-erock3d-free-grass-system

• Version F here, with some changes to the guard. Hair and gear for one thing, and if I remember right he's shouting out.

sept2018f.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M

@Hylas Yeah, the mane is looking salt-and-peppery, because it's not 100% Iray compatible. I didn't think to get the Iray add-on, the day I snagged the horse. frown

edited September 2018

NAE

I usually just hit everything not Iray with the Iray Uber Shader and then tweak the settings.

I did that with the mane on this Daz Horse 2.

Click on image for full size

daz-horse-2-mane-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 960K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

I see. I don't have the horse myself, so I'm not sure what exactly's going on there, but you can probably make it look a less shiny. If the mane's Lighting Model (found under Surfaces) is set to "Plastic" or "Glossy (Plastic)", you should set it to "Matte" instead. Alternately, you can put the Glossiness slider way down.

• test post please ignore

dance practice feral fey g8 v3.jpg
    1110 x 600 - 230K
  • Sun2xSun2x Posts: 13
    edited September 2018

Hi to all, this is my version... 

Opal Bride DAZ.jpg
    1050 x 788 - 282K
    Post edited by Chohole on

• @dstuffle

Love your image!  Great colour and shadows, and your DoF is great and looks very natural!

• uberRoghuberRogh Posts: 33
    edited September 2018

Here's a render I've been working on as part of a series and needed to use DOF so the timing worked out great.

Tanya - The Find - Close up.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 216K
    Post edited by uberRogh on
  • Fussel2107Fussel2107 Posts: 86
    edited September 2018
    Sun2x said:

First things first: I LOVE the DoF! I love all the mirroing details on the car that let you discover new things as you keep looking. 

Lighting seems fine, though I maybe would add a spotlight that highlights her fact from below a little. Not too much, just to make it pop a little more. 

What I would put more work into is the pose and the framing of the picture.

I'm myself not that good with framing of photographs, but as it stands, her butt, not her face, is the focal point of the picture (unless that's intended) and the bit of the car that gets cut off by the left frame makes the picture feel imbalanced and a little uncomfortable. I'd make it so the whole front of the car is in the picture and that should move her more into the focus of the composition as well. 

But maybe some of the experts can pitch in here. 

What I can help you with is the pose. 

first: the legs. The classic photo pose for this set up is either the legs crossed at the ankles or the legs bent at different angles. (see attached file)

second: the upper body. 

What I would do here is push her body up with her arms: bend her body backwards at the waist and chest and turn it towards the camera just a little to open the pose more.

Draw her left (front in image) arm up and under the body, her lower arm parallel to her shoulders under her shoulders. 

This should enable you to put her right arm in a pose where you can rest her cheek and jaw in her hand. Resting your head with the temple in the palm is fine when it's only the head but as it is, it looks like her whole upper body is not held up by anything and brings in an awkward energy. I would, in any case, bend her wrist backwards a little, to show that her head is resting on the base of the palm, not the fingertips. 

(there are some nice examples for sorting of the waist/chest/shoulder pose https://digital-photography-school.com/posing-guide-21-sample-poses-to-get-you-started-with-glamour-photography/)

Lifting her chest off the car will also enable you to place her elbows and lower arms on the hood of the car but you still might wanna move her a little up. (difficult with the dress skirt, I know, but hopefully the dept of field with hide a little poke through the windshield. lol)

I also would change her expression and turn the eyes towards the camera, unless you want to present her in a very somber mood. That might actually be a great contrast to the playful pose and go really well with the black and white of the image. 

I see a lot of potential in that image and I really like the dreamy, classic feel! The use of depth of field is pretty spot on, in my (slightly irrelevant) opinion.

beine.PNG
    196 x 196 - 68K
    Post edited by Fussel2107 on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited September 2018

@Shinji

Nothing I can really add that hasn’t already been said. ;)  Angling the doors looks cool & wouldn’t have thought of that.  Altered their rigging to tilt them?     Anyway, it’s always fun to see what you come up with every month.

@bubblecloud
    Schweet.  DoF really brings out facial details like the reflections in her eyes, her freckles, and the play of light in her hair.  Only thing that might be distracting could be the shadow on the front of her dress.  If already know the following, no offense intended.  I used to work in advertising, and was told the eye will always drift to high contrast.  (Dark color around light one, or vice-versa.)  That can be a useful tool if wanting to have the viewer go to another area of the frame, but it can also be a distraction.  

So on her dress, post edit shadow at the very bottom of her dress?  Wouldn’t even mention such a minor thing, except he have some really strong entries this month. Not sure how judges will narrow down to just three.

@Sun2X

LoL.  When I saw render on my tablet-- thought it was a ref. photo.  ; 0 !

No accounting for taste though.  “Fussel” makes good points, but I kind of like part of her face in shadow. ‘Photo-realism’  -- light is coming from front and her head is turned, so obviously part would be in shadow.  In 50s am guessing most photographers wouldn’t have had fill-in flash, so that’s probably how they would’ve come out.  

Only nit-pick might be  moving camera to left & get rest of car in the frame?  Depends on what you’re after I guess.  If photo-realism, leave composition alone?  In a family album, many photos from the 50s are cropped at the ‘wrong’ places, are very high contrast, over-exposed, etc.  That can add to a realistic look too imo.   

@KirbyB

Great background, reflections in eyes, and teeth aren’t unbelievably white.  Only one little nit-pick because competition looks really good this month.  An editor of mine wouldn’t have liked ‘chopped’ fingers of her hand in the corner.  Don’t know what the judges are looking at when they vote.  Obviously up to you, but room to slide camera left  and get at least half her hand or maybe all of it?  Just a thought. ; )

Hopefully that’s everyone.    It will be interesting to see what the experts and our CVs have to say with so many new entries.  

My project is still trial & error, but think I’ve got half of it figured out for large sets.  Obviously I had to move horse, but he is still too far away for really nice detail.  So...

How far away (how many grid squares) can an object be from the Focal Point before it starts to become in or out of focus?  The mailbox is about two grids away and is too sharp.  The horse is about 10 away and is surprisingly sharp, but remove DoF and he really has more detail than in the render.

I’m attaching latest version as render rather than screenshot to give better example.  Also setup to hopefully give better idea of distances.  Am better off with Carrara ?

thanks for reading!

--Bruce

Edited for clarity-- the attached render should not be considered an entry.

_SeptContestRivised-DOF-COMPOSITE.png
    1950 x 1462 - 4M
    LargeSceneSetup.png
    1505 x 1381 - 2M
    Post edited by Tynkere on
  • uberRoghuberRogh Posts: 33
    edited September 2018

Thanks @Tynkere

Yeah I wasn't happy with the fingers but thought it was a taking a bit too much of the screen if I included them. I've updated the image, also decreased the eye spotlight as it was draining some of her skin colour, and done a quick render.

Tanya - The Find - Closeup - Update.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 635K
    Post edited by uberRogh on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

@kirbyb

I think it looks better, but I'm just one person.  Might be human nature though.  If giving a two handed “Yay!” gesture, people are going to want to see at least part of other hand?

Glad I don’t have to vote on these entries.  And with that in mind, here’s something I noticed now that I can see both hands.  It might take more work posing, but if puts you over the top...  Try ‘horns’ hand sign (I just did) and what happens?  When I tried it, my thumbs unconsciously went to my middle fingers.  I had to make a conscious effort to keep thumbs at side of hand.    (Go ahead and laugh if I sound like a nerd.) ; )  Point being, would it look more natural to have thumbs tucked in towards her fingers a little?  Your project, so obviously up to you on stuff like that.  Best wishes on it!

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited September 2018

The final version of my submission (unless someone has a good suggestion :)  ).

As requested it is a larger format and I let it render to "well done" (2.5 on Render Quality).

Day is still young V3.jpg
    1800 x 816 - 910K
    Post edited by dstuffle on

@Fussel2107 and @Tynkere thanks a lot for your precious advice!

I'll keep them for trying new solutions, the most you said it's right and I've never thought about it. 

Just the crop of a car  part was aimed.

Thanks a zillion, again.

All the best, Francesco

• Popping in to see how you guys are doing. I just finished up a project I had a deadline on. You guys have a really good grasp of DOF. I like it.

TigerAnne said:

@Fishtales Yeah, I figured as much. Tried again with a ground-thingy sunk down to grid level.

I think it looks a lot better now. Should I try to disguise the edges a bit with some grass clumps, or would that make the background more visually distracting? Suggestions much appreciated!

I like the ground. It is blending in nicely. I don't think I'd start adding vegetation. It will probably distract more than it helps.

Sun2x said:

@Sun2x Welcome to the New User Challenge!

Looks good. I love that you're doing it in B&W. The DOF is great in this. I don't think I'd monkey with your setup too much. The pose is nice, but the arms need to some adjusting so they look like they are laying on the car better. That dress has issues. Unfortunately, that's a problem with most long dresses in the store. It's hard to get around that.

Version F here, with some changes to the guard. Hair and gear for one thing, and if I remember right he's shouting out.

It's looking good! 

kirbyb said:

Here's a render I've been working on as part of a series and needed to use DOF so the timing worked out great.

@kirbyb Welcome!

Nice start. I love the DOF you have here. It looks like you updated the original post, too? I don't see a difference between the two images. 

dstuffle said:

The final version of my submission (unless someone has a good suggestion :)  ).

As requested it is a larger format and I let it render to "well done" (2.5 on Render Quality).

Very nicely done! I love how the shadows look and the DOF looks really good.

@Tynkere Can you post a screenshot of you scene in Perspective View with the camera selected so we can see where the DOF windows are?