Wet And Tanned Skins For Genesis 8 Bundle (Commercial)

Comments

• Oh and i noticed an other thing that's the hair. The hair seems to be darker. For example, i'm trying to have my characters original hair color blonde, i'm using OOT Sporty Ponytail and/or Zola hairs, and they both seem to come out darker and reddish hue, and i don't know how can i make it really blonde. I tried fiddling with several things in the hair surface panel, but nothing i did seems to have any effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272

Thank you very much for Wet And Tanned Skins For Genesis 8 Female(s) and thanks for having it in fastgrab smiley

I've played a little with it and feels fantastic. I will translate all my learnings to an image in process

Thanks again for so good products

• I am having a strange issue with the arms. It's like the HDR lighting is hitting them the opposite way? Every HDRI I use is doing this. It does this both on the regular program and the beta. 

the settings between the arm and the torso surface are exactly the same except for maps. I can put a ticket in, but I figured asking here first might be faster. 

armsissue001-fabiana.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 188K
    armsissue002-dimensiontheory.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 275K
    armsissue003-painterslights.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 204K
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,051

Hi!

I'm digging your product, however i have one question;

After applying the tan/wet (i'm trying to keep the original skin colour and just add wet), i'd like to have the characters lips and nails to what i origginally had on her before applying the base shader. But when i change the base color from surfaces, i can't get the color to match.. I mean, if i click "magenta" for lips colour, it turns out light pink or rose, not vibrant and deep magenta. I guess this has something to do with the whole base shader. How can i work around this?

Thanks a lot for your help and the great product!

Very easy. Before you apply the wet and tanned skins, save the material preset of your nails and lips. Then, apply them when you need them. Then you would have the same settings and shader for skin and lips as the original ones.

Oh and i noticed an other thing that's the hair. The hair seems to be darker. For example, i'm trying to have my characters original hair color blonde, i'm using OOT Sporty Ponytail and/or Zola hairs, and they both seem to come out darker and reddish hue, and i don't know how can i make it really blonde. I tried fiddling with several things in the hair surface panel, but nothing i did seems to have any effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

The shader is not supposed to be applied on hair. Their should be no hair modification since it only applies on skin. I don't understand.

Jerife said:

Thank you very much for Wet And Tanned Skins For Genesis 8 Female(s) and thanks for having it in fastgrab smiley

I've played a little with it and feels fantastic. I will translate all my learnings to an image in process

Thanks again for so good products

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Hanabi said:

I am having a strange issue with the arms. It's like the HDR lighting is hitting them the opposite way? Every HDRI I use is doing this. It does this both on the regular program and the beta. 

the settings between the arm and the torso surface are exactly the same except for maps. I can put a ticket in, but I figured asking here first might be faster. 

I just had a look on several figures with several HDRI and several poses and I have no issue at all, neither on the regular nor on the beta (anyway I already retested the product for the latest updates).

Since the properties are the same except the maps, then it comes from the maps of this specific figure. Occasionally, this is more and more rare, in some figures, bump and gloss maps are not well adapted between some limbs and the rest of the body. But sadly this does not depend on me, only on the person which creates the figure and its image maps. If you have "map manager" you can transfer the bump maps or gloss maps to the base color maps, and you will probably see there is basically an issue in the way the maps match. I don't put the blame on the creator of the figure, because most of the time, you will not see it. But when you push the shader to some limits, things like that show, whether they don't show usually.

Another possibility is that you add a tattoo after you convert to wet skin (I see a tattoo on one arm). In this case, the shader of the arm became the original shader. this is why it could look dry.

• Tattoos were all done before the conversion. 

I will try switching to another character's bump/gloss maps. 

I honestly didn't realize that it looked dry, just that the light was flipped! I will fiddle with it and report back if I find the cause!

edited May 2020
    Hanabi said:

Tattoos were all done before the conversion. 

I will try switching to another character's bump/gloss maps. 

I honestly didn't realize that it looked dry, just that the light was flipped! I will fiddle with it and report back if I find the cause!

So it does not come from applying the tattoo. Using another figure gloss and bump maps is an excellent idea. 

That's the impression I have, that it is looking dry. I just check I don't have this figure. If at the end, you don't find the solution (I mean even if applying new bump / gloss maps does not work), let me know, and I'll see if I can buy the figure to see what is exactly happening and how to solve it. 

edit: Have you tried with arms without tattoos? I wonder if it can have an influence...

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • H'okay, so....I tried changing the bump and specular maps. No go.

BUT....I did go back and rebuild the scene from scratch, and...the problem doesn't exist anymore. So...I guess I'm good! 

Hanabi said:

H'okay, so....I tried changing the bump and specular maps. No go.

BUT....I did go back and rebuild the scene from scratch, and...the problem doesn't exist anymore. So...I guess I'm good! 

Good news, the issue is no more an issue... Bad news, it will always remain a mystery why this happened... I'll take the good news XD!

• azpaulazpaul Posts: 0

Sorry if this has been answered but it's not very clear to me. Can I just use the wet look only and not have any tan / skin shade adjustments at all? I.e. it's using the exact original skin of the model?

Or does the tan basically have to be adjusted to try and match the original as close as possible?

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

This has become an essential product for me. Is there any hope for a Gen8.1/PBR version?

There is a planned Gen8.1 version. There will be some technical challenge I already see. But I have good hope that I'll manage to do it. I will wait to have enough figures released to make sure that what I build is compatible with all (the largest pannel) of 8.1 figures, so that the product is robust. Developping something on the base of one or two figures is not wise. I'll also update every other product which needs to be updated when it is possible. (but for wet and tanned, this is not an update, this is a full development).

The question I already ask here is for the 8.1 product (since 8.0 already has tan lines), concerning the way you use it:

How many of you use the tan lines ? Do you think it is a real benefit, or would you be ok if there were no tan line options?

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

V3, you are a rock star!

I use tanlines all of the time and will be exceptionally happy if you include them again.

Ok, it was just to be sure people needed them! Because I personally don't (shame on me).

I'll see if it is technically possible, because it adds even more bricks to a shader mixer network which will already be huge, so I hope there will be no limitations on that side.

• Sorry to contribute to your increasingly cyclopean pile of work, but I find the tanlines indispensable--even if I don't always use them, they really contribute to give characters their own personality when I do. Speaking of things that I don't always use yet don't think I can live without... any thought on updating/renewing your Fantasy Skins pack? It really is gorgeous.

We already discussed the subject with CakeOne, and yes, we will make Fantasy Skins for Genesis 8.1. The shader between 8 and 8.1 changed a lot, but I'm optimistic we will manage to do it.

The same way as for the wet and tanned skins, we have to wait to have enough characters available to optimize our shaders so that the skins are super robust, i.e. to ensure that they will render great - and as they should - on all G8.1 figures. We could do it earlier with only three or four figures released, but it would not be respectful for the users, since we would not be able to warranty the quality of the product. So as soon as we see that we will have a sufficient panel of figures, then it will be good to go.

• Those are great news! I have bought both iterations of the product, and I am looking forward to a third time--though now that I have your ear, maybe you could come up with a way to make the wet and tanned skins compatible with the fantasy package, even if it is as an add-on? Orcs need to bathe in the blood of their enemies (and then take a regular shower to avoid virulent plagues), after all.

• veenveen Posts: 132

great news to see another package is comming. fingers crossed

@Uthgard : thanks for the feedback! The wet and tanned skins are forced to use the shader mixer, and, so far at least, the fantasy skins could rely on the initial shader proposed by Daz, which made them two really different product. With the new PBR Skins, I can be sure that wet and tanned will remain shader mixer based, but for the fantasy skins, it is not 100% clear yet, we wait for more figures to be released. So I don't know which technic I will have to use to reach my goals. Not yet...

@veen : I fear it could be technically a bit challenging, because I'll have to start with something 100% new, not being sure that I will be able to do everything I want, so yes, fingers crossed!!!

• Great to know. I have considerably slowed my spending as of late, but your products are always a priority due to a mix of being just that good and reliable, and scratching an itch other vendors rarely do. Thanks for all your work.

edited January 2022

Hello everybody,

can anybody (as many people as you want) test wet and tanned skins for Genesis 8 on the new Daz Studio Public Build (4.16.1.34), and "preferentially" tells me the video driver they have if they have issues?

A user tested them on Genesis 8 female with preset A during conversion and the tan is ugly (a strong red dark candle), then I tested it on my side I and the tan is ok (the figure does not change a lot, as expected, and normal behaviour of the tan presets after that)... I'd like to understand if many people are influenced by this issue so that I can anticipate what must be done or not.

Thank you for your participation to maintain the level of this product!

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

hi!

i ran several renders based on the third shading option with the new beta, and the most current nvidia studio driver.  at medium translucency + medium tan boost, and again at the highest settings for both.

i haven't used the shading system much, so i don't really have a good frame of reference for the results.  but my takeaway was the results seem to depend on the base skin. 

below are the results i got for the highest translucency/highest tan booster settings.  victoria 8's skin mats gave me the tan render.  bj nadya's mats gave me the red one.

hope this helps--

j

edited January 2022

Thanks a lot for that, It's normal that the result depends on the intial skin, no worry.  For the red one, it's because the best option for this kind of initial texture set is to work at lower translucency and lower tan booster, and higher darkness, saturation and hue corrections. But that's perfectly fine, what matters is that they don't render 100% white or 100 black.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

you're welcome. 

:)

thanks for the notes.  i'll have to try experimenting with those other settings...this really is a cool tool. 

j

Thanks!

• Is there any way to apply the wet skin part to say a mermaid tail or is it human genesis only ?

Well basically it is human Genesis 8 only, now if the tail is using Iray Uber as the main shader, then it should be possible to apply it on the mermaid tail but it will require additional work to have it working properly (for instance in the product there is a transfer script from the skin to the "adult" part of the figures) :

1. load a wet and tanned skins on a genesis 8 figure, then make 'file/save as/shader preset" and in the shader preset choices choose "uncheck all maps", and "uncheck all values". (It will allow to reload the shader base)

2. apply it on the tail, and this is where the fun begins : if you want to use translucency and SSS you will probably have to set up your translucency transmission settings and SSS settings correctly. Otherwise, just put translucency weight to 0 and ignore translucency.

3. adjust the wet layer weight manually in the surfaces editor (hit "wet" in the enter text to filter by area"), and set up the bump map of the tail as the bump map of the wet layer. Adjust wet layer weight and wet layer bump strength. The result will depend how the bump of the tail is made (otherwise you can try various 2D noises as the bump you can probably find some on the web).

As you see, it is technically possible to try to apply it elsewhere, but there are a lot of additional steps and the result is not warranted. So it depends if you're generally comforatable with shading or not. If you're comfortable it will take less than 5 minutes to check if it can work for the tail, if you're not comfortable, I would recommend to give up (since there is no warranty on the result).