Carrara 6 pro upgrade from Carrara 5 pro

When Carrara 6 pro upgrade from Carrara 5 pro was issued here at Daz 3D, was there  Macintosh version of it as well as Windows version? When I ordered mine, I was only using PC on Windows XP Pro. I'm asking because I want to add to and revamp a few things from an older 3D animation I completed in 2009. I tried opening the same scenes that I saved back then, and they won't open properly in Carrara 8 or 8.5 pro. If anyone knows if Daz has a Mac version for Carrara 6 pro or even Carrara 5 pro, that would be great! If not, I guess I'll have to invest in another PC or try to run the program on my wife's tablet.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

sorry may help - I still have the download available in my product library - there is nothing to say whether it is mac or pc though (I am on a pc)

I note the 8.5 marks both a download for pc and one for mac

• yeah I know 8.5 has both platforms, not sure about 6 pro though.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

I have Carrara 5 Standard Mac version and Carrara 7 Pro Mac version showing up in my product library and they have download links.

• I have Carrara 5 Standard Mac version and Carrara 7 Pro Mac version showing up in my product library and they have download links.

cool, thanks for the confirmation. I'll double check my downloads for C6 pro, last I checked it as only showing EXE download, not a DMG file.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2018

I have 3d express  (whatever that was) and it has a .sit file, which would be the Mac version.   Carrara 7 express update   has an .exe, which is PC and a zip, which contains the Mac version.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

ah thanks Chohole - the Carrara 6 has an exe and a zip file so that must be it

• I guess I can't install Carrara 6.2 upgrade on my current macbook pro with the current OSX version 10.13.6. I used to be able to install it on my macbook with older OSX versions, not anymore. Unfortunately I don't think Mac allows reverting to older OSX unless you format the entire harddrive and start fresh and if there's still a copy of older OSX version out there. I doubt Daz has the time or interest to make Carrara 6.2 upgrade compatible with the latest OSX firmware either.

Post edited by Artistic Touch Multimedia Art and Design on
  • The best way to load an old Mac OS is through virtualization. Parallels is a good choice. You will still have to find the old OS but at least you won’t have to reformat your hard drive. 

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited August 2018

I have Carrara 5 Standard Mac version and Carrara 7 Pro Mac version showing up in my product library and they have download links.

cool, thanks for the confirmation. I'll double check my downloads for C6 pro, last I checked it as only showing EXE download, not a DMG file.

Look for the application .zip files or .sit files. Those should be the Mac files.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

It's not that Carrara 5 or 6 won't run on the more recent Mac OS, it's that the installers for those versions won't run. For some reason the more modern Carrara applications were distributed in a primitive installer package (meaning that a newer app was packaged inside an older installer app). So, while Carrara 5 and 6 will happily run, we no longer have the tools to run the old installers.

I'm running Mac OS 10.11.6 and have the following versions on Carrara installed and apparently functional:

I just used Carrara 5 to open an old Carrara document that couldn't be opened in the newer versions.

If you try to run the Carrara 5 or 6 installers you get an error message:
    "You can’t open the application “Carrara 5.1 Pro Installer” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

The tool that allowed PowerPC applications to run on Intel Macs was "Rosetta". Rosetta was removed by Apple in Mac OS 10.7.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you could find a Mac still running OS 10.6, you could install Carrara 5 or 6 and then copy the installed application to a Mac running a newer OS.

• The best way to load an old Mac OS is through virtualization. Parallels is a good choice. You will still have to find the old OS but at least you won’t have to reformat your hard drive. 

de3an said:

It's not that Carrara 5 or 6 won't run on the more recent Mac OS, it's that the installers for those versions won't run. For some reason the more modern Carrara applications were distributed in a primitive installer package (meaning that a newer app was packaged inside an older installer app). So, while Carrara 5 and 6 will happily run, we no longer have the tools to run the old installers.

I'm running Mac OS 10.11.6 and have the following versions on Carrara installed and apparently functional:

I just used Carrara 5 to open an old Carrara document that couldn't be opened in the newer versions.

If you try to run the Carrara 5 or 6 installers you get an error message:
    "You can’t open the application “Carrara 5.1 Pro Installer” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

The tool that allowed PowerPC applications to run on Intel Macs was "Rosetta". Rosetta was removed by Apple in Mac OS 10.7.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you could find a Mac still running OS 10.6, you could install Carrara 5 or 6 and then copy the installed application to a Mac running a newer OS.

Before I got a chance to read the following quoted responses, I tried using parallels to install and use C6 pro but it still wouldn't allow me to install it; more than likely because I wasn't aware I could take a step back in OSX version through mac "time machine" or "boot camp" without reformatting the hard drive. However, I did get it installed on my brother's old Mac that I inherited after he died in 2012.

On another note, when I created this animation I'm trying to add to and revamp a few things, it was created in Carrara 5 Pro while using Transposer and Poser together using dynamic hair and cloth simulator through Poser, in order to transport into Carrara at the time. When I opened those files in Carrara 8.5 pro and 6 pro the characters and props ended up missing body parts, geometries were stretched out and tweeked, or weren't recognized at all and were replaced with a basic cylinder shape. 

The only Poser 6 version I have unfortunately is for PC Windows / EXE file. Therefore I wouldn't have been able to sucessfully open the old files in Carrara 5 Pro the way it opened back then while using Transposer 2 which requires Poser software to be installed first in order to use it. I also used Eovia's Carrara Powerpack "Anything Grows" extension in the main scene back then in Carrara 5 pro; unfortunately Carrara 6 pro is not compatible with those older Power Pack extensions.

So I decided to go back to my old slow Dinosaur PC running Windows XP to reinstall all the necessary programs in order to open the scenes I was working on. As long as it's taking to run the programs, I hope the programs can atleast handle reading and rendering those scenes I worked on back then, which may take an eternity to render out just 10-15 seconds of animated scene. Thanks for the replies everyone.