CPU for DAZ3D...

I need to buy a new CPU and I've read that DAZ3D only supports one core.

So if I'm understanding that corrcetly the Intel Core i7 8700K 6x 3.70GHz will be slower than the Intel Core i3 7300 2x 4.00GHz ?
Is it planned that DAZ3D supports more cores in the future?

Comments

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241
    edited August 2018

See this post:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/184411/will-new-mega-core-cpus-help-with-daz-studio

(Daz does take advantage of multicore for various tasks)

I am using an 8700K, it is a better choice overall since whether or not Daz is implementing all cores effectively you still have several cores available for running other apps in tandem.  my current clock speed is 4.88 overclocked and I can run multiple instances of applications Daz, Zbrush, Blender, Gimp, Krita, Modo, Hexagon etc. albeit I do not render in tandem with multiple apps for obvious reasons, but I can do all modeling and staging, rigging and painting etc. even while rendering, and without experiencing any lag or jitter while having many multiple applications open.

More cores will translate into smoother multitasking and will allow you a much better workflow, I would recommend the 8700K over the i3, for the multitasking alone.

Post edited by CGHipster on
  • Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391

DAZ3D only supports one core.

That's not true.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I have an 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen CPU and Studio/Iray uses too many threads, IMO. It uses all 16 threads and brings my computer to its knees since it can't do anything else while rendering. In fact it would be kinda nice if you could disable some threads manually.

If you're talking about rendering on a CPU using Iray, you might consider buying a GPU and assign it to do the rendering instead of your CPU.  

• DS is multi-threaded for some intensive processes that permit mutti-threading - such as rendering - but single-threaded for most basic operations.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    ebergerly said:

I have an 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen CPU and Studio/Iray uses too many threads, IMO. It uses all 16 threads and brings my computer to its knees since it can't do anything else while rendering. In fact it would be kinda nice if you could disable some threads manually.

If you're talking about rendering on a CPU using Iray, you might consider buying a GPU and assign it to do the rendering instead of your CPU.  

If you are using windows, then you can do this using Task Manager. Locate Daz Studio, right click and select "Go To Details"

Here select the DS process, and right click again. Select "Set Affinity"

You will get a list of all your processor cores. Just unselect a few and DS will not use them.

Unfortunately this is not remembered each time DS is run, so you have to set this up each time you run Daz Studio.

Wonderful Havos, thanks. I never really used CPU for Studio so never researched it, but I think your fix is excellent for those who regularly use CPU rendering. At least save one core for OS stuff. 

This should be stickied into an "Important stuff to know about Studio rendering" thread laugh

edited August 2018

Hey it works !!! I tried Havos' idea and I can even run the Snipping Tool while rendering on all but one core !

Sweet. Thanks Havos

Capture.JPG
    1408 x 718 - 200K
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    Havos said:
    ebergerly said:

If you are using windows, then you can do this using Task Manager. Locate Daz Studio, right click and select "Go To Details"

You will get a list of all your processor cores. Just unselect a few and DS will not use them.

Unfortunately this is not remembered each time DS is run, so you have to set this up each time you run Daz Studio.

i just checked this and it shows 8 cores/CPUs, although my processor is a quad core. Whats up with that? any idea? ALL 8 are checked. 

• You can make a batch file on your desktop and use that to launch DAZ Studio with CPU affinity or CPU priority set.  I describe how to do that in this post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3491476/#Comment_3491476

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928
    edited August 2018
    Havos said:
    ebergerly said:

You can use plenty of 3rd party programs for affinity management, I use process lasso...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited August 2018

If you have a Nvidia GPU you should turn off the CPU anyway. It is just a bit slower with only the GPU than with CPU and GPU. See here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/iray-starter-scene-post-your-benchmarks/p27

Post edited by Illidanstorm on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

If you have a Nvidia GPU you should turn off the CPU anyway. It is just a bit slower with only the GPU than with CPU and GPU. See here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/iray-starter-scene-post-your-benchmarks/p27

Not in my experience, so it's staying on

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

This depends on your CPU, and how and how good the GPUs are.

• Hmm, it's true for me at least. With this hardware:

1080 Ti
    1800x Ryzen
    32GB RAM

Only GPU: 3.29
    GPU and CPU: 3.01
    GPU Optix: 2.09
    GPU and CPU Optix: 1.48

I'm just unhappy with the viewport speed of the Ryzen 1800x even with Display Optimisation set to best. When there are like 5 people in the scene and they all wear clothes posing becomes very slow.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

You can make a batch file on your desktop and use that to launch DAZ Studio with CPU affinity or CPU priority set.  I describe how to do that in this post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3491476/#Comment_3491476

That looks useful. Since I rarely render using 3DL this is less of an issue for me than before, and I render GPU only with Iray.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

Hmm, it's true for me at least. With this hardware:

1080 Ti
    1800x Ryzen
    32GB RAM

Only GPU: 3.29
    GPU and CPU: 3.01
    GPU Optix: 2.09
    GPU and CPU Optix: 1.48

I'm just unhappy with the viewport speed of the Ryzen 1800x even with Display Optimisation set to best. When there are like 5 people in the scene and they all wear clothes posing becomes very slow.

A workaround I use for big scenes with lots of figures is to group figures up.  So, for example a scene in a landing bay with mechanics working on a ship and a group of primary actors I'll put the envirnment itself in one group and turn off the mouse selecatability (just to get thigs to stop turning yellow when my mouse moves over it) then put the mechanics in a group, the ship in a group, and the main characters in a group.  That way I can turn off visibility of whichever group I'm not working on with one click, instead of having to do it piece by piece.

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391
    edited August 2018
    daveso said:

i just checked this and it shows 8 cores/CPUs, although my processor is a quad core. Whats up with that? any idea? ALL 8 are checked. 

Windows shows there number of threads or "virtual cores". Your processor has 4 cores with 2 threads for each core (calls Hyper-threading), so Windows shows 8 "virtual cores" (4*2 = 8).

AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 (that ebergerly attached) has 8 CPU cores and 16 threads.

Post edited by Victor_B on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

You can make a batch file on your desktop and use that to launch DAZ Studio with CPU affinity or CPU priority set.  I describe how to do that in this post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3491476/#Comment_3491476

This.

I prefer to launch Studio at belownormal priority. If nothing else is running, Studio gets all 12 threads and up to 100% of the cpu. But I can do pretty much anything I want interactively without suffering lag - and without significantly changing render time.

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241
    edited August 2018
    daveso said:
    Havos said:
    ebergerly said:

The easiest way to answer this is to quote something from the net for you that already explains it well.  But not sure I can without being a thief so, just google how cores are counted in windows systems.

Post edited by CGHipster on
  • towdow3towdow3 Posts: 83

im planing to get a ryzen 1950x for 3delight. Considering it takes an hour for an average render in 3delight with 3 figures....i'll see an improvement. as far as i know when i'm rendering all my cores are being used.

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431
    CGHipster said:
    daveso said:
    Havos said:
    ebergerly said:

The easiest way to answer this is to quote something from the net for you that already explains it well.  But not sure I can without being a thief so, just google how cores are counted in windows systems.

Key words are probably Hyper threading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading