Can I render 2D images and then use those 2D images in Blender as Reference for my own models?

Can I render 2D images and then use those 2D images in Blender as Reference for my own models? 

So, here's some givens:

1) I have chracter morphs that would create different characters from the orginal characters.
2) I deal with low poly, not high poly, so I would be using the ref to create low poly models for games. 

Feel free to expand into other tangents and link to other forum posts, but as of now I have not found any. 

Comments

• MinamMinam Posts: 55

Hi, I posted this here bc not sure if it belogs in the commons...

So, here's some givens:

1) I have character morphs that would create different characters from the orginal characters.
    2) I deal with low poly, not high poly, so I would be using the ref to create low poly models for games. 

Feel free to expand into other tangents and link to other forum posts, but as of now I have not found any. 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2018

This is the EULA - https://www.daz3d.com/eula - I dont see anything in there that restricts such use.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions:

Contact information

DAZ Productions, Inc.
    224 S 200 W, Suite #250
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Only word of advice I would give in that area, though it may not apply to you, is that it is best NOT to use other peoples 3D models as references since you may end up copying their mistakes.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

they can be a bit funny about derivative works though

often have difficulty getting straight answers here too

and can often overstep in what one can safely ask

edited August 2018

what is safer and you should go for is Makehuman  http://www.makehumancommunity.org/ 

and the Bastioni figures  

http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142

Merged two threads. Did you want it in The Commons or in Daz Studio Discussion? 

Merged two threads. Did you want it in The Commons or in Daz Studio Discussion? 

As long as it get's answered or the talk is started is all that matters. 

th3Digit said:

what is safer and you should go for is Makehuman  http://www.makehumancommunity.org/ 

and the Bastioni figures  

http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php

Yeah, Manuel is awesome, I've talked to him on twitter, and I started with daz3d making comics, and because of work, I just bought more content for comic creation.  I just switch computers so I have to download manulabastioni again, and it would be better to learn things from his his work to be safe. 

th3Digit said:

From what I read "derivative works " would mean add ons, clohtes etc that would applied to someone elses content. This would be a case of using reffernce to make orgrinal work. Daz3d is used to make concept art for game development, then the modlers make characters based on those renders. 
    Image result for Daz3d character concepts for video games

Mattymanx said:

This is the EULA - https://www.daz3d.com/eula - I dont see anything in there that restricts such use.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions:

Contact information

DAZ Productions, Inc.
    224 S 200 W, Suite #250
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Only word of advice I would give in that area, though it may not apply to you, is that it is best NOT to use other peoples 3D models as references since you may end up copying their mistakes.

LOL, I have a blender hero, and I see her mistakes (the arm pits), but I've learned a lot for her. Now, I'm looking for ways to quicky design character to model my own. I have a a year to really get the human form, but guns, buildings, and space ships are pretty easy.  Thanks for the input :D

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    th3Digit said:

In this instance  it will still be considered a derivative

• Minam said:
    th3Digit said:

From what I read "derivative works " would mean add ons, clohtes etc that would applied to someone elses content. This would be a case of using reffernce to make orgrinal work. Daz3d is used to make concept art for game development, then the modlers make characters based on those renders.

A derivative is soemthing that uses another item as a short-cut during its creation. If you place images in some way as a guide to makng your own model then you are using them to help in the creation of your item and so it is a derivative; if it wasn't theer would be no point in including the images as part of the process and the whole discussion would be moot.

• I wonder how different the model made would have to be from the reference image for it to be classed as an original work?  I'm sure you cannot claim copyright on a the basic shape of a human being, and many Daz items are simply human figures.  No doubt if the facial features were a direct copy it would not look original, but if the face were noticeably different but the body shape pretty close?  Could you really say definitively 'Oh yes, that's Victoria 7's body'?

Also wondering how this applies to folks who use Daz renders as the basis of other artwork - drawing, painting, sculpture maybe?  Are these really not permitted because they are using a Daz human figure to help them make their art?

I wonder how different the model made would have to be from the reference image for it to be classed as an original work?  I'm sure you cannot claim copyright on a the basic shape of a human being, and many Daz items are simply human figures.  No doubt if the facial features were a direct copy it would not look original, but if the face were noticeably different but the body shape pretty close?  Could you really say definitively 'Oh yes, that's Victoria 7's body'?

Also wondering how this applies to folks who use Daz renders as the basis of other artwork - drawing, painting, sculpture maybe?  Are these really not permitted because they are using a Daz human figure to help them make their art?

if it's 2D it's fine under the EULA

it is if one made a 3D model for a game redistribute as mentioned it becomes an issue 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I am advised to tell you

You're not basing your work on "the basic human form," you're basing it on a specific human form that was produced by someone else (or several someone elses) with the intent of entering the same market(s) (3 dimensional assets) to compete with that from which you derived. Whether you see it as competition doesn't matter; what matters is whether or not the owner of the intellectual property that you derived from does, within the definition of the law. The EULA, which you must have agreed to in order to legally obtain that from which you intend to derive, expressly forbids this. The owners of the IP have spent many years and considerable amounts of money honing the skills and tools required to produce the content that it does. You don't get to cheat by basically stealing that work and the IP owner's opportunity to recover and/or profit from that investment.