Computer slow and Smart Content takes forever to load

My computer is being slow.  The internet connection is slower on my notebook than my iPad even when using the same WiFi.  The software such as DS, DIM, and the web browsers keep going to a (Not Responding) state for a few and then going back to a responding state.  I have a trial of McAfee something that I cannot remember its name but having difficulty pulling it up.

The computer is relatively new.  I got it in March of this year.  

I might be able to see if I can start in safe mode with networking.

I am trying to figure out if getting the full version of Mcafee would be a good idea.  Are they a monthly subscription or annual?  Or is there something else that is better to work with than with Mcaffee for 3D and DS work?   I can try malwarebytes too, but is it needed if I have mcafee?

hmmmm, I know that Windows says my OS is out of date, would that cause the computer to be slow and throttle the internet?

What software is free, legit, and safe to diagnose my computer woes?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

TBH   I would not recommend installing Mcaffee to anyone.  Trial,  free as given away with far too many other programs or full commercial.You have to be very careful  that you don't end up with umpteen installed versions of McCaffee as so many other programs want to generously give you yet another free version. 

What version of windows are you using that MS feels is out of date.  I am still working with Windows 7,  as are a great many other people.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,783

Not sure other than it is windows10.  Not on computer right now.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,173

If Windows is saying your version of Win10 is out of date, maybe your problem with internet speed is that your computer is trying to update itself by downloading the n-GBs of the latest version of Win10 OS? Not sure why/whether this would affect DS, but it might slow DIM a bit.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,783
    MelanieL said:

If Windows is saying your version of Win10 is out of date, maybe your problem with internet speed is that your computer is trying to update itself by downloading the n-GBs of the latest version of Win10 OS? Not sure why/whether this would affect DS, but it might slow DIM a bit.

It is smart content I meant by DS.