C8P/Hex Street Scene Builders I need some advice

Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I made a pretty nice older office building a few years back in Hexagon 2. Now that I have the time I would like to use it a scene with V4/M5 but I some advice how to make the Sideways/Curbs/Driveways and making realistic looking grass & brick shaders that looks from a distance and close-up.

I have tried using a green 2 tone noise shader for my grass & it just looks like that a noisy green shader.

When you start building a scene with a street/curb where do you normally start, with street (road) or the sidewalk/yard?

Thanks,

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    I made a pretty nice older office building a few years back in Hexagon 2. Now that I have the time I would like to use it a scene with V4/M5 but I some advice how to make the Sideways/Curbs/Driveways and making realistic looking grass & brick shaders that looks from a distance and close-up.

I have tried using a green 2 tone noise shader for my grass & it just looks like that a noisy green shader.

When you start building a scene with a street/curb where do you normally start, with street (road) or the sidewalk/yard?

Thanks,

For the grass, have you considered either using Dynamic Hair as grass or using a replicator to add vertex grass? Both can use the shading domain to drive the placement/distribution.

Here's something I'm working on for the Paradise Lost/Found challenge. I used dynamic hair for the grass and a color gradient green shader for where the hair is growing and the same color gradient in the tip channel of the hair's color shader. I'll post a screen shot of the shader tree as well as the hair settings.

Sunday-at-the-border03.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 736K
    Picture_3.png
    1130 x 896 - 338K
    Picture_2.png
    239 x 678 - 59K
    Picture_1.png
    988 x 668 - 294K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    I made a pretty nice older office building a few years back in Hexagon 2. Now that I have the time I would like to use it Excellent!
    I normally try to visualize what I would most likely want to add to the scene when it's finished. Considering I was to make it re-useable. So with that in mind, I plan for things to come in where they belong, when they load in a 'zero' coordinates. So if the middle of the street was going to be where I want most of the action taking place, I'd start with a sidewalk and place it just behind the 3d grid in the main workspace - and then adjust it accordingly - then build the rest from there. With this example, since the street would be best under the feet or wheels, etc., I wouldn't worry about it too much at the start - but would begin by placing a plane into the scene and using it to help with getting the scaling right. Bring in a vehicle that's meant to work with DAZ figures, for scaling purposes, and scale the temporary road plane using that as a reference. That way I can use that plane to use visually for the rest. Again... it's kind of a vague description... but that's how I do things, personally.

I'm very particular about that sort of thing. When I buy a scene piece from the store, I do this same sort of thing with it, right away - set it up for how "I" want to use it in most of my production needs. If I need to move it around so that what I want to be 'zero' is at 0x, 0y, 0z, in Carrara, I do that right away before I start working on the shaders and adding lights.

Just two cents from here.

Yo, EP...
    Love the advice. Love it!
    Thanks!