Original mesh dforce dress with MFD mapping

Is there a DForce dress out there with MFD UV mapping?  

If not, here are some questions. Is DForce clothing modeling different from regular clothing modeling?  If so, are there tutorials out there to make said dress?  I assume rigging it would be different from non-DForce outfits.

Also is there anything prohibiting me from making an original mesh with ability to use dress textures from MFD or PotS (Pharaoh of the Sun) dress.

Just curious, does PotS have a lot of textures?

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Not that I know of. As I'll mention below, it's a bit complicated to make such an item.

If not, here are some questions. Is DForce clothing modeling different from regular clothing modeling?  If so, are there tutorials out there to make said dress?  I assume rigging it would be different from non-DForce outfits.

1. It is somewhat different. One reason that a lot of older clothing doesn't work well for dForce is because dForce needs more polygons for good simulation and parts need to be stitched together so they don't fall apart as soon as you hit simulate.

2. I've been looking at some tutorials on modeling recently, but haven't run across one specific to creating clothing with dForce in mind.

3. Yes and no on the rigging. You'll still need the main bones of the figure you're making the dress for. What you can avoid is all the extra movement and adjustment morphs since dForce should be able to handle it. If you were making it for retail, you might still need some of those because not everyone can or wants to use dForce to pose their clothing.

Also is there anything prohibiting me from making an original mesh with ability to use dress textures from MFD or PotS (Pharaoh of the Sun) dress.

Not that I'm aware of. However, keep in mind that creating a new item that exactly matches the UV mapping of another item is a whole new magnitude of difficulty. Most of us "part timers" have issues with UV mapping in general. Trying to get a new object to exactly match an existing UV map would be even more difficult! Your best bet (for personal use only) probably would be to export the geometry of the current MFD and see if you can fix any dForce related issues with it without mucking up the UV mapping.

I don't think so. The whole Egyptian theme idea seemed like a pretty good idea at the time, but the style is so specific that unless you were making Egyptian themed images, the clothing and such wasn't very useful.

• You can skip rigging entirely if simulating from a memorised pose that fits inside the clothes, or if doing an animated simulation from a pose that fits inside the clothes.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I have actually mapped other clothing to fit the MFD UV's

if the shape is similar it is not too hard to flat map and move the UV islands around in a UV mapping software

• Someone did that with the older dynamic dresses, so it is possible
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited August 2018

I think, but am not certain, that @Chohole did a bunch of textures for PoTS; I'm not sure if anyone else did. (EDIT: Yes, Chohole did some: http://chohole.ovbi.org/page_2.htm; they don't need to be Egyptian-themed, since PotS is just a long dress/tunic thing.)

As far as dForce goes, MFD itself takes dForce modifiers just fine. You need to play a bit with the dynamic strength of different parts of it -- you don't want the upper parts to sag, since they're close-fit, but you do want them to move a bit. (It actually wouldn't surprise me if Daz comes up with a dForce material set for MFD later on -- speculating only, I have no inside information. But it would not intrinsically be that difficult to do.)

You can skip rigging entirely if simulating from a memorised pose that fits inside the clothes, or if doing an animated simulation from a pose that fits inside the clothes.

Well ... it will make things somewhat simpler and easier for the end user if the clothes are at least somewhat rigged below the waist and knee.

Post edited by vwrangler on