Linking a JCM with a rotation range

Hi folks, general question.

I've modeled a pair of shoes with heels. Everything is working fine so far, with one exception.  When I bend the foot up, the top of the foot pokes through the shoe.

So I created a JCM and so far have loaded the JCM into the shoe. So far so good.

But I'm a little bit lost on how and where I link the foot bend to the shoe such that:

• When the foot is bent to 30 degrees (the "foot bent" position at which the shoe was modeled), I want the morph to be 0%.
  • When the foot is bent to -45 degrees (the upper limit), I want the morph to be at 100%.

Thanks in advance for any clues.

Comments

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited August 2018

You can use the ERC-Freeze on the foot bend / joint x rotation property with the Keyed (Extract from Playrange) option at the top of the ERC-Freeze dialogue to accomplish this non linear dependency.

But first you have to setup a few keyframes in the Timeline pane that get saved as an animation into the slider range.

Start witht the default/zero feet pose, maybe on frame 5 load your high heel feet pose and on maybe frame 10 have the feet bend up to its limit. Also dial up the JCM on frame 10 but make shure its zero on frame 5 and before. Next set the Play Range in the Timeline pane to 10.

The keyframe placement is just my guesswork - depending on the joint rotation limits (whichever figure you are working with) the 30 degrees foot bend is not in the middle of the bending range - you may have to calculate the ratio for a propper playrange and keyframe placement. Hoping you can still follow what I'm talking about.

Now go to the Parameters pane and if not allready right-click it and set it to Edit Mode, then use the ERC-Freeze with the Keyed option checked, by right-clicking the foot joint x rotation property - that should do it.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited August 2018

Keyed ERC ^^^

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • DodgerDodger Posts: 304

I strongly feel that this can't possibly be the only or even preferred way to do this. It makes no sense and is convoluted.

I mean, sure, it's DAZ Studio, but this is even obscure and weird for that.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800

After the ERC command, I'd rather go right into the propery hirachy tab, and switch to "keyed". 
    The values are a kind of trial and error.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,768

It's very weird to freeze an ERC on a fixed pJCM or CBS for a wearable... I believe it'll be doomed in most of the cases, let alone 'Keyed'... Actually it's a wrong way.. default DeltaAdd is well enough.

• DodgerDodger Posts: 304

I seem to be having success just adding a controller when I load the morph target. Then all I have to do after is set the min to 0 and hide it, it's looking like. Unless I'm misinterpreting this.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,768

Normally a pJCM on a wearable has no controller as it's automatically triggered by relevant pose from the figure ( joint rotation(s) ), unless there has to be a particular reason to do so...

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869

Dodger said:

I seem to be having success just adding a controller when I load the morph target. Then all I have to do after is set the min to 0 and hide it, it's looking like. Unless I'm misinterpreting this.

That method works well yes. :)