How to export DAZ3D character through FBX to Unity?

TommyTomahawkTommyTomahawk Posts: 16
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I got the FBX exporter, but I'm unsure on how to use it.

Can I export an entire scene, or just a character + aplied MATs/morphs?

I would like to be able to view my characters and scene through the Oculus Rift, and to do that I need to export them to Unity.

Unity only accepts FBX.

Comments

• Artman009Artman009 Posts: 33
    edited December 1969
  • edited December 1969

if you have the money, get 3dxchange. from reallusion. It will do it for you. there is probably another way but i use 3dxchange. it works!

edited August 2013

if you have the money, get 3dxchange. from reallusion. It will do it for you. there is probably another way but i use 3dxchange. it works!

Actually, I have iClone and 3DXchange5 (Pipeline version) and there are a couple of caveats about this method.

Presently, Unity does not support blend/morph shapes natively without the additional purchase of a plugin like MegaFiers. This means all body/face/mouth shapes will be frozen upon import into Unity, even if you specifically choose 'Export' instead of 'Bake' on the DAZ Studio export.

So you can forget about having your Genesis avatar blink, talk, change shape, etc in Unity… unless you specifically re-export the Genesis FBX from DAZ Studio out of Maya or 3dsmax using the MegaFiers plugin. (The plugin supports Blender but, presently, there is no FBX import with Blender.)

Post edited by Artman009 on
  • edited December 1969

they just came out with 5.5 though, and you can export facial animation in it. its a free patch.

edited August 2013

they just came out with 5.5 though, and you can export facial animation in it. its a free patch.

Correct but this still won't work in Unity. If you notice in this example video about 3DXchange5.5, they are working with a model that has bone-based facial animation, NOT morph-based like DAZ Genesis. Bone-based animations work fine in Unity as it supports them natively. It does not with morph-based animations unless you have a problem like Megafiers.

If I am wrong on this, please let me know as I'd love to be able to replicate your process.

Post edited by Artman009 on