Is it possible to completely uninstall CMS and Smart content?

My Smart content is not working so I was wondering if it is possible to completely uninstall CMS and Smart Content and remove all traces of it? I think something is wrong with it.

Comments

• It's probbaly the database rather than the engine (PostgreSQL) - have you tried resetting the database and reimporting metadata?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

My computer froze so I restarted it.  It is almost finish restarting now.

Now the problem is that I try to reinstall CMS and it will not stay installed.  I install it via DIM.  After it says it is installed, I go open DS and DS says that CMS not installed or something like that.  I go back to DIM and see that CMS is back at uninstalled status.

• 7thOmen7thOmen Posts: 47

Although I am not having any issues with the CMS, I have the same question as the OP. I do not use Smart Content and would prefer that it just goes away.

What are the caveats to uninstalling all of the CMS elements? I thought I read here in the forums that Daz Studio without the CMS was unhealthy to a solid state drive, so I would definitely like to avoid that.

Thoughts?

Omen

• I think you will find that AutoFit does not show all its options without the CMS, and there may be other issues now or in the future.

I am so frustrated.  I got CMS uninstalled and now trying to get it installed again.

edited August 2018

I am so frustrated.  I got CMS uninstalled and now trying to get it installed again.

Okay this is hopefully a stupid question.  Would CMS run if it does not think there is any content installed?  I just remembered I no longer have the content in public document folder but in a different location.

edit: what if I installed CMS in a nondefault location?  Like outside of the default program files folder?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

use the "content directory manager" (insert your library path location) 
    next, and use the  "RE IMPORT METADATA"
    if the library is listed in content directory manager using the "re import metadata" the program read all metadata files found in ",,,,,,,runtime/support/" of all assigned library 

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318

Try to install PostgreSQL from the direct download not from the DIM.

I had yesterday the same problem. PostgreSQL DIM de / install but nothing works.
    The Manuell Download works without problems

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

I think you will find that AutoFit does not show all its options without the CMS, and there may be other issues now or in the future.

are there any other 'reduced' functions like that, that you know of?

• mindsong said:

I think you will find that AutoFit does not show all its options without the CMS, and there may be other issues now or in the future.

It affects the options in saving assets, as I recall. Not sure what else is currently affected in the built-in tols, but since the facility is there it may well be used now or in the future where having that kind of information could be useful - see, for example, the new clothign conversion script for Genesis 3 female to Genesis 8 Female.

mindsong said:

It affects the options in saving assets, as I recall. Not sure what else is currently affected in the built-in tols, but since the facility is there it may well be used now or in the future where having that kind of information could be useful - see, for example, the new clothign conversion script for Genesis 3 female to Genesis 8 Female.

thanks, so I would gather that such options (some autofit options and/or some saving options) are only visible/available if the CMS connection is 'sound', otherwise they are not?, Or do they show up as normal and fail to work in some manner?

• The lists of options will be empty.

• From my own findings on win7.

With the CMS not installed, autofit works as it usually does, all options show (including any installed templates).

All else worked O.K. until I attempted to save a support asset(Figure/Prop asset), DS CTD with access violation in module "dzcmsconnector.dll" (same result in DS 410 and latest beta)

I installed CMS then all OK.

What I found strange, was that I could disable the CMS from within DS, and even though it was disabled, I could save suppot assets without error.

So on checking further, (short version of findings ->), DS does not need the CMS to save support assets, it just needs to find the registry entry for where the CMS is installed, and for the empty folder "Program files/DAZ 3D/PostgreSQL CMS/bin" to be present.

From my own findings on win7.

With the CMS not installed, autofit works as it usually does, all options show (including any installed templates).

All else worked O.K. until I attempted to save a support asset(Figure/Prop asset), DS CTD with access violation in module "dzcmsconnector.dll" (same result in DS 410 and latest beta)

I installed CMS then all OK.

What I found strange, was that I could disable the CMS from within DS, and even though it was disabled, I could save suppot assets without error.

So on checking further, (short version of findings ->), DS does not need the CMS to save support assets, it just needs to find the registry entry for where the CMS is installed, and for the empty folder "Program files/DAZ 3D/PostgreSQL CMS/bin" to be present.

wow, subtle! Thanks for sharing that. kind of a nasty pseudo-dependency... Per Richard's comment above, it seems likely we'll see more dependencies on the CMS in the future. I sure hope not.

The lists of options will be empty.

thanks as well, Richard.

• My PostgreSQL CMS has also disappeared, and it seems it was caused by something Glary Utilities is doing. Crazy thing is that it is not showing in the DIM either. There is no Download file for it, and it is not in the installed files either. I use Smart Content, because of how easy it makes finding files that are relevant to what I have selected in the scene. But now the Smart Content is completely empty.

As I was reading this thread I noted a few pieces of advice I have yet to try, but I'm thinking that support files may have been auto deleted by Glary Utilities. The program may have been set to do that recently during an update to it, in which case even following said advice will likely not work. If it is not caused by Glary Utilities, there may be a problem with a recent update for Windows 10, and I would not begin to know where to look for that cause if it exists.

So my question is if I download and install the PostgreSQL CMS manually, will the support files for it be included in the download? Would doing this instead of trying other methods to get it working again first be wise? Or do I need to explore all options to determine whether it will work correctly without downloading it again?

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited September 2018

Well I tried all the suggestions concerning getting the PostgreSQL CMS back up and running, but still it is not. I even checked the suggested things such as Malware Protection and Firewall. There is also one message telling me to check and see if My Administrator Permission is the cause. I looked into that, but cannot find what needs to have the permission enabled.

I'm going to come at it again after I get some sleep. Considering that Windows 10 did do an update recently, I'm thinking that the Administrator permission may have been diabled when that update package was installed. I'm tired now, so I could be doing something wrong, or not doing something I need to do to get it back up and running properly..

Good Night all!

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
  • The installed files should be in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS (or Program Files (x86) if you installed the 32 bit version on a 64 bit OS). Do you have anything there?

Is it true that both the regular cms and beta cms cannot be installed at same time.

• Is it true that both the regular cms and beta cms cannot be installed at same time.

Yes, only one version of PostgreSQL can be isntalled at any time - as far as I am aware they are currently the same anyway.

• The installed files should be in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS (or Program Files (x86) if you installed the 32 bit version on a 64 bit OS). Do you have anything there?

I think it was the Administrator permission that was the problem. I'm not really sure though, because I did several things while trying to get it working again. As you pointed out the file is in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS (or Program Files (x86). Seems first of all that many of the files that make it work were missing, and when I got the new download installed, that fixed that part of it. But it still was not working, so I opened the location on my hard drive and went to properties and reset the administrator permission. Then in DAZ Studio I exported my Metadata and User data, Then imported it again , after which I went to the Smart Content pane and restarted the CMS. Then the Smart Content repopulated. Now, I have not yet shut down my computer, so i don't know if this is a permanent fix yet. When I do shut  down and then start it again, the first thing I''ll do is open DAZ Studio and check to see if it still has the Smart Content showing. For now though, I'm once again beyond my bedtime, so Good Night, and thanks for the information.

• OK, as of this morning, it seems I actually got the CMS working correctly and permanently; so something that I did actually worked. Not knowing or sure which of the actions I took made it work, but for now I'm good to go.

I am thankful that this thread is here, because it has been a great help, giving me several options to try and keeping the advice understandable not just for me but for everyone. This is the way it should be, and I'm glad that it is.

Thanks to you all!