Best eyes for v4/m4 and iray

Can anyone recommend a good eye product for m4/v4 with various colors? One that doesn't have the reflections built into the iris, and which can easily be used with iray?  Thanks!

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

My go to eyes for the V4/M4 series was always Actual Eyes 2. They are designed for 3Delight, though; so you can either let DS convert them to Iray automatically or load up the base Uber Shader with a ctrl-click and ignore the maps.

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

Thanks for your answer! This thread (albeit about genesis 2) kind of scared me off of Actual Eyes. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61919/actual-eyes-4-rendering-issue-iray-issue...?

I didn't use that generation; so I can't say for sure. However, since Actual Eyes 2 also supported Poser, you might get better results than what they saw for version 4. For only about $6.50 right now, you could try it and see if it works. Daz is really good about refunds if it won't do what you need it to.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I can save you the trouble of purchasing and returning, Sara. As the thread you referenced discussed, Actual Eyes 2 has the same problem with Iray conversion - the eyes basically turn white. A workaround may exist, but other alternatives may be better.

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

Thank you both! I have tried Actual Eyes 2, and they don't work as-is. What you can use is the texture, if you set up the eye for iray manually, and then insert the texture in the relevant slots, but that's about it as far as I was able to figure out at least.

For manually configuring Iray settings for eyes, my go-to reference is from the Show Us Your Iray Renders thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/817055/#Comment_817055

The example is for Genesis 2; so the surfaces may be a little different for V4/M4. But a lot of the advice on settings for glossiness, etc. should still apply since they are about the way the Iray engine handles those things and less about the eye geometry that is being rendered.