Professional Comic Book Foundation Course Series (Drew Spence & Digital Art Live)

Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
edited September 2018 in Art Studio

Join us for a special two part foundation set of webinars to assist you in producing your comic. These two webinars will give you a great overview to help you get started. Presented by Drew Spence, the creator of the Force Six Annihilators comic series.

This foundation comic creation course is perfect if you are wondering of HOW to get started with ideas, tools and general workflow.

PART 1 Planning and Plotting : Sunday the 26th of August

Commences 20:00 BST (London)/15:00 EDT (New York)/12:00 PDT (Los Angeles)

Duration: 1.5-2 hours

Planning and plotting, before you start drawing and rendering.

– Steps to success at no (or minimal) cost.
– Doing it all yourself and the many hats of Writing and Illustrating
– Overview and Vision
Synopsis – What will I be reading and experiencing?
Pitch Points and the one sentence elevator pitch
Short story slices of life as episodes, issues and side quests.
Long planner for what will happen if you get a full run?
– My Genre
– My Audience
– My research, my resources

PART 2 Story Telling and Sequential Art : Sunday 2nd of September

Commences 20:00 BST (London)/15:00 EDT (New York)/12:00 PDT (Los Angeles)

Duration: 1.5 -2 hours

Story telling and selling a story about sequential art

– Deconstructing the narrative.
– Reinventing the Wheel
– Templates, Libraries, Actions and Presets.
– Saving and archiving assets and notes (for location and regeneration)
– Time framing and real time versus creative time..
– Panels and Page planning.

-------------------------------------------

It's going to be a live webinar that will be broken down into a tutorial series about making comics using Daz and Daz assets.

Here is the trailer for the webinar series.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

This sounds cool! :D 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I agree. This looks very cool! 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

I finally found the announcement in my emails as well :D

Very cool!, I have to see if I can find the time, its a busy weekend

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Very cool!  I am going to be away from the internet all weekend but I will watch for it show up in the Daz store.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

That would be awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

You'll be missed, if you can't make it.

This is coming up in an hour and a half....from now....

Comic Book Workshop

Sunday, August 19 (2018)

20:00 BST (London) / 12:00 PST (Los Angeles) / 15:00 EST (New York)

ComicWorkshopPoster

(Artwork above by Griffin, Tasos and Linwelly)

New comic book event for Sunday 19th of August.

Among other subjects we could talk about:-

• Lighting
    • Scripting
    • Workflows
    • Panel design
    • Layout
    • Speech bubbles
    • Inking
    • Where to sell or distribute comics

During this webinar session I would like to encourage you to:-

• Show some of your current comic book artwork to the group. Tell us about what inspired you for your work.
    • Share a current challenge that you have in the creation of comic book artwork.
    • Share at least one tip or solution that could help other artists

It’s not mandatory to do the above, if you’d rather just hang with other digital artists in the room and meet like minded creatives, you’re welcome to do this as well!

You’ll have the option to share your desktop in our webinar, so you can talk about your content or artwork in this way. This will be the easiest way to share your work.

You can register free to enter the webinar (standard registration), though if you’d like to have the webinar HD quality recording then use the premium registration.

This webinar is driven by YOU, the artist! The more artists that share a challenge or tip, then the more value that can be gained by other artists.

Sunday, August 19 (2018)

20:00 BST (London) / 12:00 PST (Los Angeles) / 15:00 EST (New York)

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I'll be there today.

Yes sir!

• ZeddicussZeddicuss Posts: 167

Looks really cool! Hope it went well on Sunday :)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

That was cool. I didn't have much to offer, but I enjoyed seeing the images the presenters had been working on. It convinced me to sign up for the webinar next Sunday. Looking forward to it.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I had to cut out after Griffin presented, but I found the Webinar beneficial.

Thanks. Yeah, I wish they ran longer.

I would have liked to present something as well but I guess Paul missed my message, well its was long enough as it was I was getting really tired as it was 11pm where I live, so I'll go next time.

But it was really insense and a lot of info.

Too bad, I would have liked that.

To see what you had.

Well maybe message Paul early so you get locked in and possibly go first.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Looks cool, Griff! Would love to attend the one this Saturday wink

It's this SUNDAY. Whew!

Will be really good.

Would be good to have you there.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited August 2018

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's workshop! laugh

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • Linwelly said:

I would have liked to present something as well but I guess Paul missed my message, well its was long enough as it was I was getting really tired as it was 11pm where I live, so I'll go next time.

But it was really insense and a lot of info.

Hi Linwelly,

Sorry to have missed your message. I'll keep a more eagle eye out next time if you wish to present something.

Thanks to everyone that attended. We had a blast. 

@Griffin Sorry I couldn't make it, but it was just too much on that weekend. I hope for the next one I can be around.

@Digital Art Life , Paul don't worry, it was a bit on short notice anyway, so next time I will give you the info beforehand, so you have better chance to plan ahead :D

• Don't forget, Part II is going down tomorrow.

https://digitalartlive.com/event/professional-comic-book-foundation-course/

PART 2 Story Telling and Sequential Art : Sunday 2nd of September

Story telling and selling a story about sequential art and script writing.

– Deconstructing the narrative.
    – Reinventing the Wheel
    – Templates, Libraries, Actions and Presets.
    – Saving and archiving assets and notes (for location and regeneration)
    – Time framing and real time verse creative time..
    – Panels and Page planning.

• This is going down in 1 week!

Comic Foundation Course Parts III and IV

Comic Foundation Art for III and IV

Post work and Special Effects

Text and Type and Cover Art

Presented by Drew Spence, the creator of the Force Six Annihilators comic series

Saturday September 22

Sunday September 23

ComicCreationPart3an4 (1)

Join us for the continuation for foundational webinars to assist you in producing your comic. This time we’re focusing on special effects, lighting, lettering and comic book covers. Presented by Drew Spence, the creator of the Force Six Annihilators comic series.

This foundation comic creation course is perfect if you are wondering of HOW to be most effective when dealing with lettering (speech bubbles), lighting your scenes within DAZ Studio, adding special effects and postwork to enhance your story panels and creating effective comic book covers.

Saturday September 22              Sunday September 23          Cost:$55

Webinar entry details for Comic Creation

parts 3 and 4

$55.00 Webinar entry details for Comic Creation parts 3 and 4 : includes HD recordings and any class materials.

PART 1 : Saturday the 22nd of September

Commences 20:00 BST (London)/15:00 EDT (New York)/12:00 PDT (Los Angeles)

Duration: 1.5-2 hours

The comic foundational course continues with Post Work and Special Effects. We’ll explore the four types of post-render tasks and a multitude of systems and techniques to enhance your artwork. Everything from the subtle to the sublime will be covered in great detail. As always, we’ll cover your best options from the Daz Store and explore what’s available, across all the platforms, and many free options.  Drew Spence will add a conceptual approach so that the lessons from today will remain relevant for years to come. The course includes:

– Fixes for repair and the many ways to save a “bad” render.

Find a few options to save and salvage your work – without the time-consuming re-render option. We always say -tuck it away and keep it in play.

– Enhance and Elevate

Add to the fine work done by the talented Published Artists and create your own look after the render is completed. We’ll show creative ways to edit every aspect of your images to fully encompass your sensibilities and artistic vision. That’s a fancy way of saying make some of their stuff look better.

– Envision your Environment

Generate your backdrops from scratch and take total control of your environment.  Create your own camera effects, after the render, and add a dramatic sense to any image. We’ll present new products to create everything from inner space to outer space.

– Find fine details in the Frame.

Frame your work and add artistic touches. We’ll cover numerous ways to add a signature style to your projects and create your own tone.

– Special Effects

Whether you are concerned with magic, action or nature, we’ll explore the many ways to create special effects in your Daz Studio interface and take the look to the next level in post. We’ll cover the must-have products that will enable your renders to contain all the energy and power they deserve.

– Lighting Effects and Helpers

Enjoy creating stepped-up renders that set-up your post work enhancements with creative techniques that take full advantage of our comic sensibilities. Push your dramatic lighting to max in Daz and in post. We’ll break a few rules and create a set of options to push the boundaries of the iray engine. We’ll actually- we do a little bit of cheating to get around long rendering times.

PART 2 : Sunday 23rd of September

Drew Spence and Digital Art Live present the fourth and final segment of the Comic Book Foundation course. A picture says a thousand words as we look at the usage of text in our work and break down the first impression, which is our cover art. Paul Bussey commissions the exploration of the total comic package. We will discover why words are more than words and how your character-driven dialogue becomes the greatest vehicle to the gaining long term interest from your readership. This course will cover:

– Dialogue and Text

We discuss the basic rules of sentence structure for comics – from grammar to grabbing attention. It’s about comic book fonts and laying out your speech. We’ll cover the norms and conventions, but still leave room for creative expression.

– Word balloons and encasing text.

After we cover their creation and placement, we explore the many programs and options and then tie it all back to planning the Daz Studio render. It’s the pulse and pace, using panels, paragraphs and pages to push and pull your readers along.

– Titles

What’s in a name? We’ll talk about word association and why what you say must match what you mean when it comes to comic and sequential art. We explore why a title remains something you earn.

-Logos

Take your title and turn it into a head-turning logo that will stand out. We will explore the link between the words you choose and the shape of words and how that matters in the creation of your comic title. We will explore creative options that move your title and logo beyond fonts and phrases.

– Covering your Cover

Drew Spence will present most important concepts behind cover design and why this first impression of your series is so important. You’ll learn to tell your full story in one image and deliver on your promises.

– Publishing and pushing

As a special bonus, the Comic Foundation Course will send you on your way to self-publishing your title and list the many options for presenting your work in a commercial capacity. We will arm you with the concept of Arms and give you the tools you need to share your work and allow your releases to garner the attention they deserve.

Along with a technical how-to approach, this course deals with higher concepts so that the lessons you resources you gain today will remain relevant and useful for the rest of your creative career. The Comic Book Foundation course is commissioned by Paul Bussey for Digital Art Live and created by Drew Spence from the Dynamic Universe. Thank you for attending and being part of this creative journey

About the Presenter Drew Spence

Drew Spence is a graphic comic writer and illustrator from the United States. He creates under the title of The Dynamic Universe. He has combined his music and video into several works- including Mark of the Griffin, which is both a graphic novel and web series. He is part of the instrumental group Fallout Shelter which provides the soundtrack. The other band members are Domino GreyDynamics Plus and Xodus Phoenix.

Drew Spence is a graduate of Stony Brook University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Fine Art and holds various certificates – from graphic arts to web design. Drew Spence was the CEO and Editor-in-chief of Producer’s Edge magazine, a quarterly publication  dedicated to all aspects of music production. The magazine was packaged with a DVD which included sound samples, instructional videos and software. He currently lives on Long Island, New York and produces his work from the aptly named Fallout Shelter Studios, where he crafts crafty and clever comics using CGI and photorealistic image manipulation.

http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

@DynamicaMusic

• I think we had a great time and I am looking forward to tomorrow's webinar.

Thanks to all that attended.

WOW you're going big now with all this, I saw the promo for the first two parts in the sale today, congrats to that!

• Yeah, that's incredible to see. I keep staring at the product page.

I can't wait for today's webinar.Very excited. 

Thanks for helping to power it.

• Have fun guys it looks like you will be learing a lot! 

• Oh we did, this weekend was great. We finished the next,  PART II (which is real-time, parts III and IV). Went very well.

• A question (I think by Trevor) came up in class and here is a video about a technique in Comic Life 3.