Basic question - how to tell one mesh from another?

IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
edited August 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

So I am working through the Fugazi video: Gensis Starter
On his video the clothing obj has a nice green color, which helps it stand out against the genesis mesh when fitting.
But when you follow the video there is no green shade.
I am about to go blind trying to fit the elbows and wrists. Poke-through?? It's just a hypnotic mass of mesh.

How can I get a nice color when trying to fit?
Or are there any other tips when fitting clothing around a base?

Thanks!

Post edited by Ippotamus on

Comments

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

For now :
    * Select object.
    * In the material window, hit the 'New' button.
    * Give it name and pick a color to your liking.

For future use :
    In the preference editor on the tab '3D display', under 'Entities' check the box for 'Create colored objects'. From now on, hexagon will give each new object a random color on creation.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

For now :
    * Select object.

For future use :
    In the preference editor on the tab '3D display', under 'Entities' check the box for 'Create colored objects'. From now on, hexagon will give each new object a random color on creation.

My eyes, they thank you. :)

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Just to answer my own question, I just changed the diffuse color on my Genesis model before importing to Hexagon. So my model is green and my shirt obj is gray. What a difference! I can see!

• rol3drol3d Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

For now :
    * Select object.

For future use :

My Hex Version: 2.5.1.79
    I'm new to Hexagon. I'm following the Fugazi tutorials as well and have the same issue as the original poster: my two objects are all grey. In the tutorial video, one of the objects has two colors. As per here, I checked off the 'Create colored Objects' box, even changed the 'Default Color', then: shut down, re-exported to Hexagon (so, Hex restarted) still no color. Then, as per suggestion here, I thought I would color the one object; so, while the object was selected, I tried to access 'Materials' under 'Windows'. What's supposed to happen when the 'Materials' box is checked? The manual shows his nice little sub-menu ... but I don't get that, nothing happens.
    Thanks for any help folks!

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

@rol3d OK here we go. Colouring the object.

Right, I'm using a simple cube to represent the mesh. I've also turned on transparency; not only does it look clearer but more importantly it ensures that when I lasso the object to select it I can visually check that I have selected all parts of the mesh. In this example I used the edge selection tool, I could of course have selected the faces tool. (See Fig 1).

On the left hand side of the working window is a small arrow click this to reveal the left hand pop out panel. This as you can see from (fig 2), is divided into two halves; the top for the materials the bottom for shading domains. Dur! it appears Daz does it's own thing again; Fig 2 is the forth of the screen grabs. :roll:

Put simply if you want to colour the whole of the object then this is done in the material panel.
    If on the other hand you only want to colour selective parts of the object with the balance another colour then one should start by using the shading domain panel.

In the latter case click on the words which says unassigned faces. This as can be seen changes all of the object faces to a blue colour, then click on the “New” button at the foot of the panel and a new shading domain is assigned to the object as a whole. If you only wanted say three faces different from the rest then you would click on each face holding the shift key and then press new. If you are breaking down an object into different zones each with their own colour then at this stage you can click the new domain name arrow and rename it to help identify the respective area concerned. (Fig 2)

Right, the object is blue because it has applied to the object the default colour. Say you wanted to change the colour of your shirt to green, if you click on the small blue square in the material panel another pop up will appear which will enable you to select the hue that you wish. Then right click the material description and rename it shirt. (Fig 3) Dur! The second image.

Thus – (Fig 4). The third image

Hope that clears up adjusting an objects colour for you. :cheese:

PS I would also rename the object to 'Shirt' in the right hand Tree panel as well.

Figure_Mat_1.0_.png
    1920 x 1080 - 384K
    Figure_Mat_2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 454K
    Figure_Mat_3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 443K
    Figure_Mat_4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 456K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

So two colours on one side of the shirt object would be as this....;-)

Figure_Mat_5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 449K
  • rol3drol3d Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question in such detail Red Square.

Works perfectly for me now. For some bizarre reason, now when I click Window->Material ... I actually get a Material menu!

Still not automatically assigning colors when I export from Daz ... but I'll live with that for now; as long as I can color in Hex I can see what I'm doing.

Onwards and forwards.

Cheers.

edited December 1969

:-) :-)