OT: Movie Suggestions

Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,424

I am in need of movie suggestions!

My husband is currently disabled, and still recovering from a surgery not too long ago.  Pretty much all he can do right now is sit/lay in bed and watch movies.  But he already sped through all the ones he’s heard of, and now needs some fresh ones to keep him entertained while he heals.

He loves action movies, and has watched all the Bond, Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Marvel stuff.  He has seen the Tremors, Jaws, Predator, Alfred Hitchcock stuff, and Aliens movies.  I think he’s seen every movie Harrison Ford and Sean Connery have ever made.  Believe it or not, he also likes classics like Audrey Hepburn movies (he LOVES "How to Steal a Million").  A little campy is fine with him (he’s seen all of the original Batman series and loved it), as long as it’s still entertaining.

He doesn’t care for gore at all, and would love to see something with a good ending (as in, not everybody dies or has their life ruined forever).

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to pass them on to him.  He still has a lot of downtime to fill!

Comments

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431

cassablanca
    Gone with the wind
    Chinatown (1974)
    One flew over a cuckoos nest
    Citizen Kane
    Snatch
    Lock Stock and 2 smoking barels
    Layer Cake
    No Country for old men
    Se7en
    The Shining
    Scarface
    Anything by Quinton Tarantino

To name but a few

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

A few western comedies -

They Call Me Trinity and Trinity is Still My Name (Terrence Hill) and My Name is Nobody (Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda)

A trio of John Wayne films with the same plot (one drama, two comedy dramas): Rio Lobo, Rio Bravo, and El Dorado

All three seasons of the Peter Gunn TV series with Craig Stevens and music by Henry Mancini

Das Boot

The Hunt for Red October

Pacific Rim

The Lord of the Rings, all three films

The Sting

Breakheart Pass

Where Eagles Dare

The Train

The Great Train Robbery

Big Trouble in Little China

Casablanca

The Maltese Falcon

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Anything Akira Kurosawa (Hidden Fortress inspired Star Wars).

Shanghai Express with Marlene Dietrich and one of the most photographed women of her day, Anna May Wong. Brilliant use of Black and White film.

Three Days of the Condor

Lawrence of Arabia

Continuing John Wayne, two of my faves, The Three Godfathers and The Quiet Man

How Green Was My Valley

The Good Earth

Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring (one of the best pair of stories from France)

Brotherhood of the Wolf (I would die for those coats.)

In Anime, My Neighbor Tortoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service, all by the brilliant Hayao Miyazaki

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

If he likes action and cartoons, Speed Racer is still good to my surprise. That is 52 episodes at about 23 minutes each.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686

Edge of Darkness

John Wick

Book of Eli

The Equalizer

Bourne movies including Bourne Legacy

The Accountant

Man of Steel

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

For the classics there's one I always recommend:The Best Years of Our Lives. It came out in 1946, and won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, and other Oscars (including TWO for the disabled Navy veteran who did actually lose his hands in WWII).The pacing is a bit slow by today's standards, but the story is a rich one. It's basically a love triangle set against the troubles that returning GIs encountered coming back from the war. To my knowledge it's not on Netflix at the moment, but it is available on Amazon streaming.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

"The Princess Bride"

"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines"

"The Great Race" with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis

"Kelly's Heroes"

"Hooper" with Burt Reynolds

"Soldier" with Kurt Russell (SciFi)

"Forbidden Planet" an oldie from the fifties

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to pass them on to him.  He still has a lot of downtime to fill!

Why no books? If there's a public library near it won't even cost any money, and a book usually lasts longer than a movie...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    xyer0 said:

Edge of Darkness

John Wick

Book of Eli

The Equalizer

Bourne movies including Bourne Legacy

The Accountant

Man of Steel

Nice, good choices. A few more I like

12 Strong,

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi,

The Kingdom,

American Assassin

Taken movies (both)

The Jungle Book 2016 (cool CGI)

The Harry Potter series

24 series

Westworld (HBO)

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322

Does he like spoofs of other popular scifi films? I just finished watching "Space Balls"  (which is free on Amazon Prime) and laughed all the way through.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited August 2018

Comedies

- Young Frankenstein

- A Shot in the Dark

Film Noir

- The Big Heat

- Narrow Margin

Campy category

- Big Trouble in Little China

- Kung Fu Hustle

War Movies

- A Bridge too Far

- Guns of Navarone

Monster Movies

- The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

- The Thing (either version)

Sword and Sandals

- Hercules (Steve Reeves)

- Samson and Delilah (Hedy Lamar)

War Comedies

- MASH

- Dr. Stangelove

Suspense/Thrillers

- Notorious

- Eye of the Needle

Music but not a Musical

- The Commitments

- Cotton Club

Science Fiction

- Soylent Green

- Westworld (Richard Benjamin version)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited August 2018

For unusual and unforgetable yet engrossing, visual and immersive try 

Adventure: "The Life of Pi" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Hjrs6WQ8M

Comedy: "The Grand Budapest Hotel" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bTbW70umbQ

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,424

Thank you so much everyone!  These are some great ideas, and he hasn't seen a whole bunch of them.  This will be a great help ^_^

Why no books? If there's a public library near it won't even cost any money, and a book usually lasts longer than a movie...

He has some nerve damage in his arms, so he can't really hold a book/turn the pages.  Otherwise, that would work.

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

If you have a reasonable internet connection and don't have limited usage, why not take advantage of the Netflix one month free trial?  Not only would your husband be able to search various genres of films, if he liked the Marvel films, he would also be able to watch the Marvel Netflix series - Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil etc.  Just make a note of the date and cancel before the month is up.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

Tell him to binge watch on all Tom Cruise movies (Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher, etc).  I never liked Tom when I was growning up, and now that I am well in my 40s, it's like "damn..I never knew knew he was that good?!".  I caught all his movies from a free site someone recommended to me.  Also just recently watched Avengers: Infinity War and DeadPool 2 - those were great, being a superhero fan myself when I was young, still is.  

Currently bingeing on Orange is the new Black - never watched it before.  So far so good going into Season 3.  He can also bingewatch Law & Order: SVU, I think they are on Netflix, and has I believe more than 18 seasons - so that should keep him fairly busy.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

Thank you so much everyone!  These are some great ideas, and he hasn't seen a whole bunch of them.  This will be a great help ^_^

He has some nerve damage in his arms, so he can't really hold a book/turn the pages.  Otherwise, that would work.

Has he tried a Kindle?  They are much easier to hold than a book, and no pages to turn.  I absolutely love mine

• irondogirondog Posts: 17
    edited August 2018

Some great suggestions here... I suddenly have the urge to watch Forbidden Planet and Grand Budapest Hotel again.

I could suggest loads of films but based upon your husband's interest these are the ones I have seen recently that I really enjoyed:

Action

• Atomic Blonde
    • Baby Driver (great soundtrack)
    • Bad Ass 1 & 2
    • Kingsman - Secret Service
    • Kingsman - Golden Circle (Elton John is a hoot in this one)
    • Stand Up Guys

Sci-Fi/Fantasy

• Attack The Block (introducing John Boyega in a funny UK Sci-Fi film)
    • Chappie
    • Dredd (2012 version with Karl Urban)
    • Ghost in the Shell
    • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    • Ready Player One
    • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

British Comedies

• Telstar - The Joe Meek Story
    • Any Ealing Comedy but especially The Ladkykillers with Alec Guinness

All the best

irondog

Post edited by irondog on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited August 2018

Your husband's taste in movies sounds a lot like mine. Much of what you listed I would have listed if you hadn't mentioned he already saw them. lol He might like some of these as well:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

IT (the new one and the old one)

All the newer Planet of the Apes movies (2001 - 2017)

John Wick

Beauty and the Beast (live action 2017)

Get Out

Big Hero 6

All of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies

Blackfish

Wonder Woman 

All of the Harry Potter movies

Donnie Darko

UP 

Constantine

Shaun of the Dead

I'd also highly recommend Stranger Things season 1 and 2.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited August 2018

Are audiobooks an option? I find it very uncomfortable to hold and read books myself, but I've just about always got someone telling me a story in my ear.

For movies, he's probably already seen "Breakfast at Tiffanys" with Audrey Hepburn. I don't see that anyone mentioned "Bringing Up Baby" with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.  A bit campy and so funny. I also liked "A Philadelphia Story" with the same pairing plus Jimmy Stewart. Can't forget "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart.

Do you have TCM (Turner Classic Movies) channel? You could pretty much just turn it on and leave it there.

Best wishes for his recovery.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,424

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions!  He's already picked several from the lists to try out, he was excited to see so many!  

I really appreciate it ^_^