I turned Merpal into a General Weight Map figure now the eyeballs don't work right

okay basically what the title stated I turned the Merpal figure into a General weight map figure and sooo far it looks like everything works the same except the eyeballs ,now half the eyeball moves while the other half  is frozen so it makes for some really weird "looks" ,is there a way I can fix this ,?or do I just give up and throw it out?

Comments

• You may just need to edit the weight maps on the eyes, so that they are (probably0 1 for their map throughout. With luck you can simply select each eye in the scene, select its map in Tool Settings, select it's mesh by its group, then (with the Node Weight paint Brush) right-click>Weight Editing>Fill Selected and set the value to 1..

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2018

Okay I got this far now what am I doing ? This is what the weight map looks like I didn't do this!! it's what I want to fix

Merpal eyeball.png
    1920 x 1080 - 469K
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited August 2018

Does the eyes have it's own face group? if so, right-click in the Viewport>Geometry Selection>Clear Selection, right-click in the Viewport>Geometry Selection>Select By>Face Groups>rEye, then right-click in the Viewport>Weight Editing>Fill Selected... and set the value to 1. Test, if it works repeat for the left eye, test.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited August 2018

@Richard Haseltine  oh oh I think I did it !!! but what do I need to do to save the adjustment?

Fudge!! I was wrong I fixed the eyes but FUBARed the body ........back to the drawing board .......I'm very confused  I think I am following your directions but Before I adjust the eyes the body works fine takes the old poses ,when I fix the eyes so they work then the body joints get all weird and stretchy .......

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Hmm - are the wrong parts of the emsh bending, or are the joint centres moving so that the right mesh bends, but around the wrong pivot?

Richard what is the difference between "General Weight mapping" and "TriAx Weight mapping"??

• In General Weight mapping, which is the most common type in other applications, there's only one map per joint. Since different transforms need different maps (most obviously twist, which in vertebrates is usually spread along a bone, vs bend, which is at the joint) that tends to lead to having more than one rigging bone for some actual joints (see the upper arms in Genesis 8, for example). In TriAx each rotation has its own map (as do scale and the bulges), so there's no need to split bones but it's more complex to set up and not widely supported.

hmmm I asked because of the issues I had  when I used General Weight mapping on the Merpal ,I tried doing TriAx Weight mapping on the Merpaal and it works alot better ,the eyes work right ,the body joints aren't flattening out ,while the joint bends aren't as smooth it's usable , at least till I learn more. So thank you very much for your help.

• Legacy/Poser-style rigging is like TriAx in that the different rotations for a single bone can have different properties and it supports bulges (having the mesh expand/contract as the joint bends), so I would expect that to be the better option (at least without also redoing the joints).