Environment Blend Shader, can someone explain?

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

this environmental blend shader is on the sale today https://www.daz3d.com/environment-blend-shader

I don't understand it, does it come with those shaders or can I use two completetly unrelated shaders from my content library and this tool makes them look like they belong together?

I'm a bit slow today ...

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    Linwelly said:

this environmental blend shader is on the sale today https://www.daz3d.com/environment-blend-shader

I don't understand it, does it come with those shaders or can I use two completetly unrelated shaders from my content library and this tool makes them look like they belong together?

I'm a bit slow today ...

I could be wrong but I got the impression that it is a shader, and shaders can't usually be mixed.

You may be getting an actual Shader mixed up with with shader presets

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322
    edited August 2018

Looks like a custom shader mixer adding various additional fields to allow a bend of the foreground and backgound texture using a mask.  It specifically says the textures used in promos were are not included. It is the mask that does the magic. The masks are those black and white greyscale images.

environment-blend-shader-01-popup.jpg
    323 x 880 - 110K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

I tried to load up user guide pdf2 to read about it, but can't seem to get the link to work.

• I concur, but it would seem not even the masks are included, as the tutorial for the product explains how to generate them from bump maps. While I am comfortable enough with my tools to do just that, a few tiling noise maps for the other functions of the shader would be appreciated, not to mention having some included presets to have a good starting point before customization.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Thanks a lot for all the feedback so far. If its really mostly a shader mixer with a a better application, I guess it's not catching me

• @Uthgard, I completely agree and if it were my product it wouldn't have occured to me to not include some basic maps for examples. Anyway, if anyone has any of my shaders, you will find ample seamless tiles to plug into this shader.

@Linwelly, it is a shader mixer shader that would replace your Iray Uber completely, and then you get to set up your surfaces and plug in the maps you want to blend together.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833

Where did you found a tutorial?

I only see 2 pdfs with readme about shader features, but not any tutorial.

It is a pity, that the creator has not put commercial thread about his product.

@Uthgard, I completely agree and if it were my product it wouldn't have occured to me to not include some basic maps for examples. Anyway, if anyone has any of my shaders, you will find ample seamless tiles to plug into this shader.

@Linwelly, it is a shader mixer shader that would replace your Iray Uber completely, and then you get to set up your surfaces and plug in the maps you want to blend together.

Thank you @DestinysGarden  (ample of your shaders available in my content library :D)  that comparrison with the Iray Uber was what made me understand, thanks a lot. I guess I can mix your shader just fine myself :D

Artini said:

Where did you found a tutorial?

I only see 2 pdfs with readme about shader features, but not any tutorial.

It is a pity, that the creator has not put commercial thread about his product.

@Artini They probably will later today, sometimes they get notice that their product is on sale only later. Clever when they open a thread in advance.

edited August 2018

Just a quick test.

Before:

After applying a floor maps to Top Layer of the stairs and using as a mask one of DG maps:

ebs04pic07.jpg
    1650 x 1080 - 550K
    ebs04pic06.jpg
    1650 x 1080 - 560K
    Post edited by Artini on

Thank you so much, that's a good example!

Glad, I can help, Linwelly.

I need to experiment more, to get similar results, like in the promo images, though.

edited August 2018

Then I'll be waiting, maybe your works convince me to buy anyway :D

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited August 2018

Says it can be used as a merchant resource from what I read so I bought it.  It looks useful but I'll have to really dig in to see what it can do when I get it installed! From the product page:

Shader Usage

When creating your own scenes, use these shaders to create unique variation without creating multiple versions of a texture.

- Tile small textures across large scenes by blending textures together to avoid repetition.  

- Change the look of products you own by adding additional layers without affecting the original textures.

- Mix textures from multiple products together non-destructively.

- Sell products that include multiple looks for the same environment.  

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,027
    edited September 2021

Can this shader be used in a creation intended for sale (as a merchant resource), and are there any limitations attached thereto?

Post edited by mcorr on
  • I don't know about the merchant resource question but thank you so much mcorr for raising it and bringing this thread to my attention as I never knew this product existed here. It's totally something I've been looking for as I'm used to mixing shaders in Blender but didn't know how to do it in Daz. Snagging this right now!